Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McAfee Internet Security 2014

Options
  • 17-11-2013 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

I had an interesting experience here! As my current licence is due to expire 15/12/2013, I was exploring alternatives from competitors etc. As part of the process, I emailed McAfee Customer Support who offered the 2014 suite for £27.99, a reduction of 50% from the regular price of £54.98. On the same day, a McAfee Authorised Dealer (Winferno) was offering McAfee Internet Security 2014 for £9.99, for a 12 month licence. Obviously, I opted for this and purchased it. The downside is that it will effectively be an 11 month licence as my existing licence has another month to run and the new licence commences at date of purchase not on date of expiry of existing licence. Even taking that into consideration the cost per month will be £0.90 as opposed to £2.33, if purchased direct from McAfee.

I would have thought that McAfee would offer a better deal to buy direct, especially to existing customers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Why bother paying money for this rubbish? There are lots of free products that do as good a job. Microsoft even provide their own for free, which is built into windows 8. Get rid of McAfee...

• Registered Users Posts: 83,302 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Microsoft even states Security Essentials/Defender is not an Antivirus replacement, it's just another layer of basic defense built into the operating system.

The OP has already bought the software so in support of that: Contact McAfee and tell them you want to stack one license on top of the other. I've done this a couple times with companies, normally Antivirus companies have this issue. Contrast when I add a code to Xbox or Office 365 it's correctly added time to the account not overlapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

Overheal wrote: »
    The OP has already bought the software so in support of that: Contact McAfee and tell them you want to stack one license on top of the other. I've done this a couple times with companies, normally Antivirus companies have this issue. Contrast when I add a code to Xbox or Office 365 it's correctly added time to the account not overlapped.

Thank you for your post Overheal - Don't think it's worth the hassle, given that I purchased the new licence from a dealer and not direct, I don't think McAfee would want to reward me for that, especially given the fact that they had quoted me a discounted price 3 times greater than the amount I paid. My only reason for posting was to alert others to the fact that it is not always cheaper to buy AV software direct from the developers, even for long-standing customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,302 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

rarely if ever.

Advertisement