Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lecturer getting too cocky

Options
  • 17-11-2013 4:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 107 ✭✭

Once she said stressed the importance of a theory during a lab. She said if you answer X instead of Y, "you will be shot at point blank range". Although it wasn't meant to be taken literally, I didn't like the sound of it. Another day in a the lecture theater she was getting a bit frustrated at the class when they couldn't any a rediculously simple question which didn't require course knowledge. I eventually answered "3" to her question and she instead demanded an answer from the people at the back. She eventually answered it for them saying "God ye're a bright lot", which they laughed at. She later explained a concept and afterwards said if a true/false question is presented on this and "if you say (wrong answer)... I will find you...." at which point everyone laughed and when they quitened a bit "...and you'll be bloody sure you won't get it wrong again". I certainly didn't laugh.

How inappropriate do you think this is? and what do you think could hypothetically be done about it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,806 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Nothing, grow a thicker skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

To be honest, any lecturer that expresses a little enthusiasm and fun should be praised. There are some terrible attitudes and chips in shoulders around campus. Anyone else have the 'in my day they locked the doors when the started a lecture' brigade? That annoyed me no end. If someone is late, deal with it. The vast, vast majority are quiet and courteous if they arrive late. No need to make a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Vorophobe

IMO this does not meet my definition of a bad lecturer :)

Maybe you'd be happier if they left the colourful language aside, but they are free to lecture in whatever style they want. Part of studying at University is learning to cope with different lecturers and how they teach their course material. After all it's only human to want to do things your own way :)

> what do you think could hypothetically be done about it
    If you still feel strongly about it, skip the lectures and study the course material yourself

But I'd imagine soon enough you'd just encounter another enthusiastic lecturer, so yeah in the nicest way, just deal with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Legwinski

I really dislike that style of lecturing too!

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Once she said stressed the importance of a theory during a lab. She said if you answer X instead of Y, "you will be shot at point blank range". Although it wasn't meant to be taken literally, I didn't like the sound of it. Another day in a the lecture theater she was getting a bit frustrated at the class when they couldn't any a rediculously simple question which didn't require course knowledge.

Look at the quality of your prose. I'd say she probably is completely demoralised and does want to kill you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Dancing with Myself, this is not to be taken lightly, if I were you I'd report these very serious matters to the college authorities.

This lady sounds like a very dangerous person. However, there is a chance the college authorities mightn't take you seriously, or even worse, they might tell her and then you'll be number one on her list, in which case I would flee and seek refuge in a church until it all blows over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

OP, a career in HR beckons ....

Seriously though, your lecturer just sounds like she has a personality. You should be grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

and what do you think could hypothetically be done about it

Outrageous stuff, OP! Have you considered making a protest? Perhaps you could dance with yourself.:pac:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

People really need to cop on here. Would you rather be lectured to by a robot?

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭StompToWork

How inappropriate do you think this is? and what do you think could hypothetically be done about it

I don't think it is inappropriate at all, unless you believe she is someone who might follow up on those "threats". From your post, can I take it you don't believe that?

That said, if you are really concerned about her behaviour, the very first thing you should do is to talk to her directly. Explain your concern, and gauge her response. I suggest talking to her first - before taking any other formal action - because if you ever have a grievance with someone, you should address it to them in the first instance (or at the very least, make them aware that you are uncomfortable and why).

Personally, I would disregard those who say "grew a thicker skin" and "sure no harm done", because nobody here knows why you have a concern about this. Regardless of whether or not the outward perception picked up from your post is that your concerns are baseless or unwarranted, they are concerns for you.

You do, however, owe it yourself and your lecturer to be very sure that this is something you cannot live with before proceeding. It may very well be that after further reflection ahead of taking any action, you may decide that it something you can allow to wash over you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

You do, however, owe it yourself and your lecturer to be very sure that this is something you cannot live with before proceeding. It may very well be that after further reflection ahead of taking any action, you may decide that it something you can allow to wash over you.

This. In the grand scale of things OP, is her behavior worth getting this worked up about? Is it just you or have fellow classmates also commented on it? For all the headspace you are wasting on this fairly trival matter, you could be filling your head with oodles of knowledge.

She sounds like fun. Better those antics than 50 mins of someone reading a lecture off a ream of papers in a monotone voice who doesn't make eye-contact with the class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

I don't see how the lecturer's behaviour as described in the OP's post could be construed as 'cocky'? :confused:

She sounds like she has a confident mastery of her subject, and is keeping the class engaged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

"Hypothetically, what could be done about it?"
    You've two options.
    1. Report her.
    2. Do nothing apart from vent on here and go back to class quietly judging, never to say a word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Once she said stressed the importance of a theory during a lab. She said if you answer X instead of Y, "you will be shot at point blank range". Although it wasn't meant to be taken literally, I didn't like the sound of it. Another day in a the lecture theater she was getting a bit frustrated at the class when they couldn't any a rediculously simple question which didn't require course knowledge. I eventually answered "3" to her question and she instead demanded an answer from the people at the back. She eventually answered it for them saying "God ye're a bright lot", which they laughed at. She later explained a concept and afterwards said if a true/false question is presented on this and "if you say (wrong answer)... I will find you...." at which point everyone laughed and when they quitened a bit "...and you'll be bloody sure you won't get it wrong again". I certainly didn't laugh.

I would reserve judgement until we can find out whether or not her "shooting you at point blank range" was literal or not.

If she did mean it literally, I would report her. Mothers should at least expect to be able to give their student children an open cascet funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

If this lecturer is hot i know exactly where this is going, i've seen it in the movies lots of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

You're lucky that you have a lecturer that actually wants to interact with her class and test your knowledge. The last thing you want is one that sleep walks through 60 minutes (and judging by my time in UCD, there's plenty of them around).

Having said that though, I do get irritated by the ones who try too hard to be witty and just come across as a sarcastic sap, I need more info OP. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Heikki

If you feel uncomfortable then there is something wrong with the teaching style.. It may be that he/ she is trying to be colourful but is not doing It right.. Say how you feel in the module feedback form online

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Sounds like the lecturer has seen too much Top Gear on Dave, and is channeling Jeremy Clarkson.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Personally I do not think its inappropriate. Have you spoken to any of your classmates about it, what have they got to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Riamfada wrote: »
    Personally I do not think its inappropriate. Have you spoken to any of your classmates about it, what have they got to say?

They ain't sayin' nothin'!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 107 ✭✭Dancing With Myself

Riamfada wrote: »
    Of course it's inappropriate. I don't spend €6,000 for a year's fees to be spoken to in a constantly condescending manner. I won't stand for it and I don't need to speak to my class mates about it to know that I'm right.. but as far as I know, they agree with me. They're hardly going to love her for it!

But of course most Irish decide to suffer in silence, just like with the pedo priests all those years ago! In all my years of education, I've never come across someone I didn't like as much. Are you saying you'd be perfectly okay with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

But of course most Irish decide to suffer in silence, just like with the pedo priests all those years ago!

Are you going to suffer in silence?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Of course it's inappropriate. I don't spend €6,000 for a year's fees to be spoken to in a constantly condescending manner. I won't stand for it and I don't need to speak to my class mates about it to know that I'm right.. but as far as I know, they agree with me. They're hardly going to love her for it!

But of course most Irish decide to suffer in silence, just like with the pedo priests all those years ago! In all my years of education, I've never come across someone I didn't like as much. Are you saying you'd be perfectly okay with it?

I probably wouldnt get as would up about it, personally I think you are over reacting and should probably see out the semester and in the end, if you feel it is completely necessary, say something to the lecturer rather than posting on message boards.

But if you want my real opinion, assuming you are because you posted here, you really need to grow a backbone and take terms like "sure arnt you a bright lot" and "shoot you at point blank range" on the chin. Perhaps your group should be able to answer tutorial questions. Its not primary school anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Get over yourself. You're can't possibly be "suffering" from any of the behaviour as you described it and the comparison with paedophile priests is obscene. Why not go the full nine yards and compare yourself to a holocaust victim? "This course is as bad as Auschwitz and the lecturer is Hitler!"

Also, the entitled consumerist mentality has no place in a university. This isn't a restaurant where you can send the soup back. What's more, whatever you're paying in fees doesn't even come close to the cost of providing you with the education you're receiving.

Also, how'd you arrive at €6,000?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Of course it's inappropriate. I don't spend €6,000 for a year's fees to be spoken to in a constantly condescending manner.

Would it not make more sense considering the €6000 fees you pay, to actually pay attention in lectures and be able to answer
    rediculously
    simple questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Get over yourself. You're can't possibly be "suffering" from any of the behaviour as you described it and the comparison with paedophile priests is obscene. Why not go the full nine yards and compare yourself to a holocaust victim? "This course is as bad as Auschwitz and the lecturer is Hitler!"

Ha. Haha.

Yeah.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

Dancing with Myself is one of my favourite songs and deserves better than to be tarnished in such controversial matters. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Durz0 Blint

I like your lecturer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

This is honestly the most farcical complaint I have ever heard of a lecturer. I don't care what tone it was said in there were no boundaries crossed and the lecture actually seems to care and want to engage with the group.

I implore you to share your claim with a fellow classmate, as if you have described is true then you will be laughed at.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 18 Mr Cook

Given that you are paying so much for the course you are essentially paying her wages. So if she is acting the maggot in this way then of course you - as her de facto employer - have a right to complain !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement