Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lecturer getting too cocky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Mr Cook wrote: »
    Given that you are paying so much for the course you are essentially paying her wages. So if she is acting the maggot in this way then of course you - as her de facto employer - have a right to complain !

De facto employer? Seriously erroneous and bad attitude to have. Lecturers have no responsibility to you in higher education. If you want to show up and consume the material in the manner in which they deliver, so be it. Your suppose to pursue all the material in your own time as well, so even if they lecture poorly, its enough to get the ball rolling and form a basis of the subject. They ain't there to spoon-feed you. And certainly, in my experience, someone will not be allowed lecture for long if they are not meeting a basic certain standard.

• Site Banned Posts: 18 Mr Cook

ironclaw wrote: »
    De facto employer? Seriously erroneous and bad attitude to have. Lecturers have no responsibility to you in higher education. If you want to show up and consume the material in the manner in which they deliver, so be it. Your suppose to pursue all the material in your own time as well, so even if they lecture poorly, its enough to get the ball rolling and form a basis of the subject. They ain't there to spoon-feed you. And certainly, in my experience, someone will not be allowed lecture for long if they are not meeting a basic certain standard.

That's not in question here. What is, is the attitude of he OP's de facto employee which is falling below the standard that he expects

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

OP, sitting in a lecture hall for an hour at a time how many times a week to listen to an annoying lecturer does in no way equate to keeping quiet about paedo priests.

Taking an attitude that you are the lecturers de-facto employer is a simply theoretical argument. They are employees of the college, not you. You pay to attend the college and sit in a lecture with the masses.

If you want a personalised lecture delivered in the manner in which you prefer I'm sure you will have to stump up a bit more cash for private tutorials.

If the lecturer has hurt you in anyway, approach them and let them know in which way but be nice about it. There is no reason not to be polite in this circumstance and you will get a lot further by being so.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭paddyh117

Of course it's inappropriate. I don't spend €6,000 for a year's fees to be spoken to in a constantly condescending manner. I won't stand for it and I don't need to speak to my class mates about it to know that I'm right.. but as far as I know, they agree with me. They're hardly going to love her for it!

But of course most Irish decide to suffer in silence, just like with the pedo priests all those years ago! In all my years of education, I've never come across someone I didn't like as much. Are you saying you'd be perfectly okay with it?

....it's not necessarily inappropriate, just because you think it is - you're hardly "suffering" - she has a style that is at odds with your preference - nothing more nothing less - to be honest if you're making such a big deal over what is less face it, something trivial - I would worry about you when you leave college and enter the real world!

your entire argument is ridiculous and you need to get a grip.

That's not in question here. What is, is the attitude of he OP's de facto employee which is falling below the standard that he expects

Give up the whole "de facto employee" line - you may be studying law I'm guessing and you've learned some key phrases, but paying to be in a lecture does not equate to being an employee in any way shape or form!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Its a direct attempt at banter with the students to bridge any gap between staff and students

I think your getting offended too easily to be honest

paddyh117 wrote: »
    Give up the whole "de facto employee" line - you may be studying law I'm guessing and you've learned some key phrases, but paying to be in a lecture does not equate to being an employee in any way shape or form!

It does because ultimately the revenue flow from the OPs (hefty) fees transfer to the lecturer's pocket. If he has an issue, which he does, with the service he has purchased then he has every right for remediation here !

It does because ultimately the revenue flow from the OPs (hefty) fees transfer to the lecturers pocket. If he has and issue, which he does, with the service he has purchased then he has every right fir remediation here !

I'm surprised you haven't quoted the Sale of goods & supply of services act yet!

Remediation from what?????????????.......banter?? Bad jokes??...not everyone gets what they want - not everyone gets spoken to in a manner that they're used to - not every lecture can be delivered exactly in the way the OP wants, or seemingly needs - there's nothing here that needs to be fixed!

I'm surprised you haven't quoted the Sale of goods & supply of services act yet!

Remediation from what?????????????.......banter?? Bad jokes??...not everyone gets what they want - not everyone gets spoken to in a manner that they're used to - not every lecture can be delivered exactly in the way the OP wants, or seemingly needs - there's nothing here that needs to be fixed!

The OP is obviously upset with his de facto employee's attitude in delivering the service he has purchased through his fees. He can take this further and would be justified in doing so

The OP is obviously upset with his de facto employee's attitude in delivering the service he has purchased through his fees. He can take this further and would be justified in doing so

You're taking the p1ss now. You haven't a clue what you're typing - it's just words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

You're taking the p1ss now. You haven't a clue what you're typing - it's just words.

You mean de facto letters. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

He's not purchased an attitude of delivery though and the service he's paid for is being delivered. So what's the issue?

He's not purchased an attitude of delivery though and the service he's paid for is being delivered. So what's the issue?

Clearly the main issue here is that the world is full of spoiled people, with an over-inflated sense of entitlement, and zero grasp on reality!

Of course he has ! If the lecturer isn't delivering in an appropriate manner ie flippant and threatening comments that might upset certain individuals, then he has every right and justification to take this further with the university authorities.

Your riposte says a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Seems to me we're raising academically able kids in this country, but with all the emotional intelligence and life skills of a transparent p1ss soaked tissue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 107 ✭✭Dancing With Myself

Would it not make more sense considering the €6000 fees you pay, to actually pay attention in lectures and be able to answer simple questions.
    I'm one of the few who can answer the questions... but the point you made is just avoiding the issue anyway

• Site Banned Posts: 141 ✭✭BeerFear

Of course he has ! If the lecturer isn't delivering in an appropriate manner ie flippant and threatening comments that might upset certain individuals, then he has every right and justification to take this further with the university authorities.

It's a bit of craic and the lecturer is interacting with his/her students. Lecturer is making the class interesting and sounds like a very good lecturer in my opinion. If people get offended by that then they should not watch television or go on the internet and lock themselves in a room with cotton wool. Last thing you want is a boring lecturer who can't lecture and doesn't give a crap about the students.

ghogie91 wrote: »
    Its a direct attempt at banter with the students to bridge any gap between staff and students

I think your getting offended too easily to be honest

Believe me, you can tell when it's banter and when it's not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

This is a ridiculous post by the OP. As a poster above said, I would worry for this person when they leave college and enter the world of work.

• Advertisement

BeerFear wrote: »
    It's a bit of craic and the lecturer is interacting with his/her students. Lecturer is making the class interesting and sounds like a very good lecturer in my opinion. If people get offended by that then they should not watch television or go on the internet and lock themselves in a room with cotton wool. Last thing you want is a boring lecturer who can't lecture.

Well offence has taken place. Your advice isn't really useful then is it?

Well offence has taken place. Your advice isn't really useful then is it?

What offense? Dear god.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Mr Cook is obviously a troll.

BeerFear wrote: »
    What offense? Dear god.

Did you not read what the OP wrote???

ironclaw wrote: »
    They ain't there to spoon-feed you. And certainly, in my experience, someone will not be allowed lecture for long if they are not meeting a basic certain standard.
    There also not there to insult. No one said anything about wanting to be spoon fed.

markesmith wrote: »
    This is a ridiculous post by the OP. As a poster above said, I would worry for this person when they leave college and enter the world of work.
    College is not to be compared with work. College is a service you are paying for. It's a place where you shouldn't have to stand for ****

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

OP, you asked for people's opinions on this and you did not get the response you were expecting or the one you wanted. This has just descended into a bit of a farce.

Threatening comments?? this is brilliant - i assume now this is all a wind-up??........does the OP think that the lecturer is actually going to shoot someone?? If the OP feels threatened by what's being said, then they have no place being in tertiary education.....in fact I'd recommend the OP doesn't leave the house because the world is a scary scary place!

There also not there to insult. No one said anything about wanting to that spoon fed.

If you can't put up with that wait till you start working, it's 1000 times worse. I would not hire you with that attitude dealing with clients where some of them can bite your head off if something goes wrong. Sounds like a great lecturer

• Advertisement

Riamfada wrote: »
    Mr Cook is obviously a troll.
    Isn't that slander. Shouldn't you as a moderator know better

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement