Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lecturer getting too cocky

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 107 ✭✭Dancing With Myself

Mr Cook wrote: »
    Given that you are paying so much for the course you are essentially paying her wages. So if she is acting the maggot in this way then of course you - as her de facto employer - have a right to complain !
    At last someone with some common sense

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭paddyh117

College is not to be compared with work. College is a service you are paying for. It's a place where you shouldn't have to stand for ****

Right - I'm finished now, as Mr Cook has just thanked this post, yet t was was he that brought up the employee/employer argument in the first place

I assume this is a wind-up and Mr Cook is trolling, or possibly the OP is very very fragile and Mr Cook is 11 years old.

Either way I'm out.

At last someone with some common sense

Oh the Irony!!

please, someone for the love of god, please close the thread

paddyh117 wrote: »
    I'm surprised you haven't quoted the Sale of goods & supply of services act yet!

Remediation from what?????????????.......banter?? Bad jokes??...not everyone gets what they want - not everyone gets spoken to in a manner that they're used to - not every lecture can be delivered exactly in the way the OP wants, or seemingly needs - there's nothing here that needs to be fixed!
    It's not that I want every lecture to be delivered to me in the exact way I'd prefer. I am flexible. EVERY other lecturer I've come across, I've either been satisfied with or at least didn't feel the need to complain. But there's a point where I draw the line

• Site Banned Posts: 18 Mr Cook

It's not that I want every lecture to be delivered to me in the exact way I'd prefer. I am flexible. EVERY other lecturer I've come across, I've either been satisfied with or at least didn't feel the need to complain. But there's a point where I draw the line

Yes. It's not much to ask for given the level of fees you're paying

• Advertisement

do you want the simple answer?? - it's a clash of personalities between you and the lecturer - nothing more nothing less.

The End.

You're taking the p1ss now. You haven't a clue what you're typing - it's just words.
    Left with nothing to say, so naturally resort to rudeness. I don't get why everyone is so head strong about taking the lecturer's side

• Site Banned Posts: 141 ✭✭BeerFear

Ridicolous, are you in first year? You need to cop on.

do you want the simple answer?? - it's a clash of personalities between you and the lecturer - nothing more nothing less.

The End.

Yes but given the fact the lecturer depends on the OP for their salary and livelihood is a bit more respect too much to expect ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Where oh where are the trolls of yesteryear?

• Advertisement

catallus wrote: »
    Where oh where are the trolls of yesteryear?

I think there the same person, cook and dancing

Yes but given the fact the lecturer depends on the OP for their salary and livelihood is a bit more respect too much to expect ???

The state is paying their salary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

How can we know the dancer from the cook?

BeerFear wrote: »
    not all of it though... as you know!!!

Where do you think student fees go?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Dancing with Myself and Mr. Cook in a tag-team of idiocy, and here comes their knock out blow, they try to use stupidity argumentation complex!
    It's not very effective!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭littleblackDRS

On the facilities the college provides...
    If you really believe he's "paying their salary" you clearly have no idea how much lecturers make..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

There also not there to insult. No one said anything about wanting to be spoon fed.

I know Grammar nazism is frowned upon, nay banned on this here forum, but really I pity the woman in question if she has to correct submissions from students of this generation

There, their, they're. Your, you're. Quite, quiet.

Infuriating.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I know Grammar nazism is frowned upon, nay banned on this here forum, but really I pity the woman in question if she has to correct submissions from students of this generation

There, their, they're. Your, you're. Quite, quiet.

Infuriating.

Why capitalise the 'G' in grammar if this type of things is such an issue for you?

That's the same as saying that my tax from work is paying every single guard in the country. Doesn't work like that.

• Advertisement

That's the same as saying that my tax from work is paying every single guard in the country. Doesn't work like that.

It's not the same thing at all in fact

It's not the same thing at all in fact

It's exactly the same, it's like saying I pay tax and vat, wonder would a lecturer or secondary school teacher mind if I sit in and listen, I'm paying there wages. Your paying to attend college. State is paying lecturer wages

"Dancing wrote:
    I didn't like the sound of it....I certainly didn't laugh.

To be honest, you sound like the problem.
    You are paying to attend her lectures, you are not paying for her to teach you. This isn't secondary school anymore. You really need to grow up and realise not everyone is going to deal with you exactly how you want them to.

And also, how did you get at €6000 a year? Isn't that the non-EU fee? Or are you repeating a year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Once she said stressed the importance of a theory during a lab. She said if you answer X instead of Y, "you will be shot at point blank range". Although it wasn't meant to be taken literally, I didn't like the sound of it. Another day in a the lecture theater she was getting a bit frustrated at the class when they couldn't any a rediculously simple question which didn't require course knowledge. I eventually answered "3" to her question and she instead demanded an answer from the people at the back. She eventually answered it for them saying "God ye're a bright lot", which they laughed at. She later explained a concept and afterwards said if a true/false question is presented on this and "if you say (wrong answer)... I will find you...." at which point everyone laughed and when they quitened a bit "...and you'll be bloody sure you won't get it wrong again". I certainly didn't laugh.

How inappropriate do you think this is? and what do you think could hypothetically be done about it

Clues as to why this is a troll post.

1. How did the author of this post get into UCD?
    2. Who doesn't like a lecturer that does more than read out pre-prepared notes?
    3. The OP is complaining about something but gives enough reason for the person to act that way - classic, 'come get me' troll behaviour

Clues as to why this is not a troll post

1. The lecturer ignored his amazing answer '3' and he may have got the hump. I could just about believe there are those so emotionally retarded lacking that this may present as a perceived wrong.

But, I'm going to give the OP the benefit of the doubt and conclude he is a troll.

The lecturer doesn't depend on students for their wages. The lecturers are employed by the university as researchers, first and formost. You are paying to sit there and listen to what this researcher says.
    Only a few researchers get bumped up to lecturer level, and they would be the best of the bunch. So I'm pretty sure the university knows what they're doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

283456.jpg

Edit: To all the people in this thread who decided to post helpful notices about whether or not other posters were trolls - consider this a warning. If you feel that someone is trolling, or otherwise breaking the rules, then report the posts (as only 2 people did), and then refrain from engaging with the thread. Calling someone a troll on thread is backseat moderation and borderline abuse, and will not be tolerated in future. If I see that kind of behavior again I will be checking back to this thread to see if it's the same people, and handing out bans.

Dancing, I think your question has been answered quite clearly, at least in regards to how inappropriate people find the behavior to have been - which is to say that you are certainly in a minority to find it so. I hope this has been helpful to you.

Bear in mind that you always have the choice to not attend lectures - course syllabuses, past exams and the library are enough of a resource to do well if you have the dedication for self directed study. It's something I've done in the past when I had difficulties with a lecturer. What you pay for, you see, is not the lectures, it is attending the university. This includes access to all resources, including both libraries and lectures, being permitted to sit exams, and receiving an accredited qualification at the end. The lecturers are merely the most obvious way in which information is made available to you, but they are by no means the only way, and arguably not even the best way.

Additionally, your figure of €6000 is for a year in which you study 12 modules, meaning you are paying 500 euro for each. As this is equivalent to the cost of resitting a failed module, which consists of a final exam only, the only obligation your lecturer has to you is to provide an exam, and a grade from it. This is also implicit in the fact that repeating a module costs the same as resitting it. You do not pay any extra to receive lectures.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement