Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Anyone Know How Old This Is?

• 17-11-2013 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

I found this today in a market in Dublin, it looks pretty old but I don't know, can you tell me how old it is and how much it is worth, if anything at all?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

Bout three fiddy

....sorry...it's been one of those days.. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 42 lukemaguire

Bout three fiddy

....sorry...it's been one of those days.. :P

Haha, I know how you feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jagdtiger

Looks like 1931 civilian gas mask. They seem to be going for between £12-30 on-line, this looks to be in good condition

Jagdtiger wrote: »
    Looks like 1931 civilian gas mask. They seem to be going for between £12-30 on-line, this looks to be in good condition

Thank you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭danpatjoe

I'm not sure what type of filter was used in these, but to be safe, just don't try wearing it under any circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jagdtiger

danpatjoe wrote: »
    I'm not sure what type of filter was used in these, but to be safe, just don't try wearing it under any circumstances.

good call, a lot of early(wwII era) gas mask filters contain asbestos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Jagdtiger wrote: »
    good call, a lot of early(wwII era) gas mask filters contain asbestos

Bloody hell.

I have absolutely no idea how anybody survived the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

People were tougher then. Then could have been involved in a battle, outnumbered on the beaches in Dunkirk, dug into the trenches like a tick on a dogs back, but would still be doing the jitterbug that night at the local shindig once across the water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Looks like a Reproduction

Looks like a Reproduction

It's not, The back of the straps are worn down and the box is paper is going brownish...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Theres a date on it somewhere, for sure! If not on the actual facepiece itself take a close look at the thick rubber band thats holding the metal cannister filter onto the face piece. Take a close look around the rim both inside and outide of the filter, there's a manufacturers mark and year there somewhere.

These were produced from 1937 to early 40's. Its a civilian gasmask, everyone would have been issued with one, certainly in the UK and to a large extent here in Ireland too, so, they'd be common enough.

Edit: Actually, I just had another look at the pic, its staring us in the face! 8-37 (August 1937) :D and please tell me you didnt pay €40 for it!! :O

Advertisement