Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering graduate entry without honours Maths

Options
  • 17-11-2013 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hello, not sure whether or not this is the right place for this.

I recently finished an Economics degree in UCD. I have been working in the field since may and I don't think it is for me. I realised pretty late into final year that I would have preferred something like engineering.

I have been thinking of going back to college, though what I'm wondering is if it's possible to get into engineering without honours maths? (I have an A in ordinary level), coupled with my degree in Economics?

I couldn't find anything on the ucd website apart from the mature and graduate entry guide, which doesn't go into too much detail.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Going to be honest, Engineering has some seriously tricky math to it. They do give some good ground work in 1st year and basically revise the calculus section of the higher leaving certificate. Same applies until about 1st semester of third year. You would want to be comfortable with doing Matrices, Calculus and generally tougher algebra. That said, its not impossible with some decent work put in.

Best person to talk to is the program office in UCD. I'm almost certain there is an Eng. prep year course if they don't accept lower level Math. Then again, your graduate entry so that might be wavered.

Final thing to bear in mind is that Eng. is now a 3 + 2 year course. If you want to work in the pure Engineering field, your going to have to do the 5 and come out with a Masters (Depends on discipline but all require it for 'Chartered' status) You can leave after 3 with a BSc Eng. however as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

If you managed to get through an economics degree (well, provided you took a reasonable amount of quantitative stuff) you'd probably be able for it. If you're applying as a mature student the entry requirements are different from what I know.

Advertisement