Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exclusions on pet insurance policy

• 17-11-2013 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Hi, looking for some advice. My springer, nearly 4yrs. had ear mites when I got her as a pup. With the help of the vet all cleared within two days but as a result she is not covered on her policy with Allianz for anything to do with her ears. I now find (due to a claim being refused) that she also has an exclusion for anything to do with her skin on her policy. Unfortunately with the great summer we had the vet had to treat her for severe skin allergies ie. hayfever (would be funny if it wasnt so expensive) and obviously she is not going to be covered if this happens again. My question is is it normal to have ear and skin exclusions on a policy because she had ear mites when I got her as a pup ?? The vet in allianz pet insurance is ringing me tomorrow and I want to put my case across. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I would fight it. Excluding all conditions to do with the ears because of a common, simply-treated parasite is just ludicrous. They will slap the exclusions on if they can get away with it. I had this with my own dog - I claimed for a tummy upset and then they want to exclude all gastro-intestinal illness and disease, which is just ludicrous. I was able to get them to reverse the exclusion over the phone, and I didn't have to be a witch about it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭reeta

boomerang wrote: »
    I would fight it. Excluding all conditions to do with the ears because of a common, simply-treated parasite is just ludicrous. They will slap the exclusions on if they can get away with it. I had this with my own dog - I claimed for a tummy upset and then they want to exclude all gastro-intestinal illness and disease, which is just ludicrous. I was able to get them to reverse the exclusion over the phone, and I didn't have to be a witch about it. :)

Thanks, I'm not giving in on this one (though I may turn into a witch over it :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Did she have it before you took out the policy? If so, thats the norm. Its called a pre-exisiting condition and wont be covered. Its the same on all pet insurance policies.

andreac wrote: »
    Did she have it before you took out the policy? If so, thats the norm. Its called a pre-exisiting condition and wont be covered. Its the same on all pet insurance policies.

No she didnt have it before I took out the policy. I took out her policy
    when I got her at 8 weeks and she is nearly four years now. The hayfever
    never showed before but with the summer we had it really affected her, at
    one stage she had to get adrenaline drops into her eyes they were so blood shot. Its not the cost more the principle, I would have thought ear mites were a common and non serious issue in dogs. I am waiting to hear from Allianz.

Well if she has been covered from day 1 then there is no reason she shouldnt be covered.
    Why are they saying they wont cover her? WHat are the reasons?

Exclusions are really only there if there are issues before the policy was taken out, but if she has been insured from day one then she should def be covered.
    Were you always with Allianz? Did you claim for that as a pup when you took out the policy?

When you say she ahd mites when you got her as a pup, do you mean she already had them when she came to you at the start? If so, you cant claim until i think 14 days after the policy is taken out, but i stand corrected on the exact time frame, so that could be the reason you wont be covered.

• Advertisement

andreac wrote: »
    Well if she has been covered from day 1 then there is no reason she shouldnt be covered.
    Why are they saying they wont cover her? WHat are the reasons?

Exclusions are really only there if there are issues before the policy was taken out, but if she has been insured from day one then she should def be covered.
    Were you always with Allianz? Did you claim for that as a pup when you took out the policy?

Have been with Allianz since day one. The reason they wont cover her for skin allergies is because she had ear mites when I got her at 8 week, which the vet spotted when I brought her for a full check up. They were gone within a couple of days but as a result she has ear (and now in the last couple of years) skin conditions as an exclusion on her policy. Two other people I know who are insured with Allianz had the same issue but neither of exclusions on their policies.

They are obv trying to get away with it in the sense that it was a pre-exisiting condition because she had them when she came to you.

Im not sure if you will have a case with the ear mites but they shouldnt be stopping you claim from skin conditions as they are different so keep fighting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Recon_

Hey.

Your problem is two fold.

Retroactive liability. Google it for a clearer view of what this is.

Secondly certain dogs are proven to have particular health issues. Through breed dogs in particular. There is substantial imperical data showing this and the insurance company knows it.

If you knew getting a dog of a certain breed will have skin problems (assuming you researched it) on a regular basis take out a 80 euro policy for the year with this cover included and it costs you 100 euro three times a year in vet+duag costs...

The insurance company wouldn't be around for long if it didn't take measures to ensure it takes in more money than it hands out espically on thing like this.

Also while I think of it, did you read your policy when you got it. You have a 30 day cool off period if you don't like the terms or conditions.

I think you may be between a rock and a hard place. But good luck with.

Recon_ wrote: »
    Hey.

Your problem is two fold.

Retroactive liability. Google it for a clearer view of what this is.

Secondly certain dogs are proven to have particular health issues. Through breed dogs in particular. There is substantial imperical data showing this and the insurance company knows it.

If you knew getting a dog of a certain breed will have skin problems (assuming you researched it) on a regular basis take out a 80 euro policy for the year with this cover included and it costs you 100 euro three times a year in vet+duag costs...

The insurance company wouldn't be around for long if it didn't take measures to ensure it takes in more money than it hands out espically on thing like this.

Also while I think of it, did you read your policy when you got it. You have a 30 day cool off period if you don't like the terms or conditions.

I think you may be between a rock and a hard place. But good luck with.

She is a springer/cocker spaniel cross so to my knowledge skin
    conditions wouldnt be an issue usually. To make myself completely clear,
    I got my dog at 8 weeks, when I brought her to the vet for a full check up he saw she had ear mites which were duly cleared up. When I set up an insurance policy for her there was an exception on her policy for anything to do with her ears because of the ear mites. As a result, and because she is a spaniel, I make sure they are kept clean etc and always checked during any visit to the vet. During the summer she developed severe hayfever, treated by steroids (which I didnt like) and eye drops. The insurance company now claims that because she has an exclusion for her ears that automatically means an exclusion for any skin conditions. I think this is extremely harsh which is why I am fighting it !

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Recon_

Aye I hear you. And go full throttle at it.

I wasn't trying to be the doom bringer. Just looking at it from there point of view. They are trying a fast one I would say hoping you drop it.

• Advertisement

Recon of course you're right in principle.

But a one-off infection with earmites shouldn't be classed as a chronic ear condition, which is basically what they're arguing, and trying to exclude all ear conditions into the bargain. It's quite simply, daft. Fight it, OP! As I said I had a similar complaint, and fixed it with a simple phone call.

boomerang wrote: »
    Recon of course you're right in principle.

But a one-off infection with earmites shouldn't be classed as a chronic ear condition, which is basically what they're arguing, and trying to exclude all ear conditions into the bargain. It's quite simply, daft. Fight it, OP! As I said I had a similar complaint, and fixed it with a simple phone call.

Thanks. I will fight this to the bitter end... I have sent numerous emails and have spoken to them at least three times but they keep saying they have to refer it to someone etc., they think I am going to go away, if only they knew ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

reeta wrote: »
    Thanks. I will fight this to the bitter end... I have sent numerous emails and have spoken to them at least three times but they keep saying they have to refer it to someone etc., they think I am going to go away, if only they knew ;)

Let us know how you get on! They refused a claim we put in last month because the vets were late sending in it and a new claim year began...BUT when I was reading t&c's they claim to cover illness for life so will def fight it if it happens again.

Eek that is good to know, tk123!

My lady broke a toe a few weeks back - nawt to do but lots of rest and a bit of pain relief. But the vet didn't want to send in the claim form there and then in case she needed rechecks etc., so left it sit. Now I'm into a new claim year. Not going to claim as the cost is only €35 over the excess, but had I wanted to put in the claim in the next few weeks I'd have been scuppered now by the sounds of it!

They seem to be really, really tightening up. Just today a friend of mine got a letter from them regarding a claim she put in two months ago for idiopathic diarrhoea and fever that resolved after 48 hours. They won't pay because she claimed for gastritis in 2009. She was not aware of this exclusion.

Well,after many calls and emails I finally got a call from Allianz yesterday saying they are going to remove all exclusions from her policy !! I was absolutely delighted, unfortunately they wont cover the claim I had in, but you cant win them all :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Result!!

Excellent, delighted you stuck to your guns, you were in the right! :)

Advertisement