Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Restoring Lost Contacts in Apple iPhone

• 17-11-2013 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

Hi
    I have lost my contacts on my Apple iphone.

Can anyone advise how to get them back ?

I'm presently looking at restoring them from a back-up made last year but having difficulty with that too as it's asking me to go to icloud settings and turn off find my phone - however icloud is not activated on my iphone, so I'm a bit lost.

Thanks for all advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

By any chance were you syncing the address book with Google? If so you can restore from any point in the past 30 days if you go into Google contacts, click the 'More' button and select 'restore contacts'

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Conology

No - I wasn't syncing. I updated a Software notification in settings on my mobile yesterday and only spotted later today that my contacts were totally gone. My calendar information is also gone.
    Thanks for your help.

yoyo wrote: »
    Moved from Comp & Tech
    Hi yoyo - where did you move it to?
    Thanks.

coylemj wrote: »
    By any chance were you syncing the address book with Google? If so you can restore from any point in the past 30 days if you go into Google contacts, click the 'More' button and select 'restore contacts'

No - I wasn't syncing. I updated a Software notification in settings on my mobile yesterday and only spotted later today that my contacts were totally gone. My calendar information is also gone.
    Thanks for your help.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Conology wrote: »
    Thanks.

The Apple Devices forum (Tech->Consumer Electronics->Apple Devices) :)

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Thanks.

You don't need to ask, just click on the 'Moved: .......' thread title in the forum where you created the thread and it will open the thread in it's new location. I asked for it to be moved, all the Apple expert posters are in this forum.

I've managed to get my Contacts back but not the details of my Calendar.

I've also backed up my iphone contacts to my computer, but I can't find the location of the backed up file.
    Anyone any ideas on this please ?

I've managed to get my Contacts back but not the details of my Calendar.

I've also backed up my iphone contacts to my computer, but I can't find the location of the backed up file.
    Anyone any ideas on this please ?

I think I found this - in the iTunes - under - File, Devices, Back-up or Restore backup.

Last question.
    In my iphone under Settings, I am unable to open icloud, - it is showing in a Grey colour, whereas other options which I can open are in black.
    Anyone any ideas please ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

If iCloud is greyed out you might have restrictions enabled in the settings. Try disabling them and then check if iCloud can be accessed. If it can then I'd highly recommend turning it on and enabling iCloud sync for your contacts, calendars etc. if you ever lose your contacts again or get a new iDevice you can just login to your iCloud and everything will be back.

• Advertisement

DubDJ wrote: »
    If iCloud is greyed out you might have restrictions enabled in the settings. Try disabling them and then check if iCloud can be accessed. If it can then I'd highly recommend turning it on and enabling iCloud sync for your contacts, calendars etc. if you ever lose your contacts again or get a new iDevice you can just login to your iCloud and everything will be back.

That's it - got it.

Thanks a mill.

All Contacts and Calendar info now back to normal again.
    There were a few small issues but nothing too bad thankfully.
    I've set up icloud /iTunes now and will be backing up more often.
    The lesson is - backup, backup, backup.

Thank you all for your help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

All Contacts and Calendar info now back to normal again.
    There were a few small issues but nothing too bad thankfully.
    I've set up icloud /iTunes now and will be backing up more often.
    The lesson is - backup, backup, backup.

Thank you all for your help

Also don't forget to turn on 'Find My iPhone' in the iCloud settings as well. Not only will it help you locate your phone if it's lost or stolen it will make it absolutely useless to anybody else without your AppleID and Password.

DubDJ wrote: »
    Also don't forget to turn on 'Find My iPhone' in the iCloud settings as well. Not only will it help you locate your phone if it's lost or stolen it will make it absolutely useless to anybody else without your AppleID and Password.

Will do
    Thanks again

Advertisement