Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is the best low budget tablet?

Options
  • 17-11-2013 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have got my elderly Dad for secret santa. He doesn't have a lot of hobbies but has always been fascinated with technology. Even though he has never used a laptop or computer he picks up things well if you have the patience to show him.

I would love to get him a tablet so he can read the newspapers, look at the weather and use google to learn things etc. It would give him a bit of independence and kill the boredom for him.

The budget is about €100. Is there anything good out there that is up to date that would suit him.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

For your budget, you are most likely looking at an Android tablet and there is an awful lot of cheap junk about. If at all possible, stretch your budget a little and get him a Google Nexus 7 - the last generation Nexus is still excellent and is available here.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Melena

What would you think of the Nook HD?
    Just read a bit about it there?

Available here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You could get A GOOD laptop ,on adverts ie,
    100 euro secondhand ,
    pentium 4 cpu,1gig ram, dvd rw, 80gig harddrive.15 inch screen,

or carphone warehouse , sell a 100 euro tablet.

http://www.adverts.ie/laptops/laptop-satellite-pro-a1d60-c2-2ghz-xp3/4239236

http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/computers/laptops-and-netbooks/laptops/505/price_50-100/

http://www.adverts.ie/laptops/lenovo-n200-3000-laptop/4229418

this is the best laptop, most upto date model. see under 100 euro.
    has 1gig ram.
    160gig hardrive.

you can download kindle program,
    or calibre program,
    so he can read ebooks on it.

the samsung 7 inch tablet is very good,advanced ,
    150 EURO to buy online powercity.ie .

for a novice user i think a laptop is easier to use.

put on avast free antivirus , foxit reader pdf reader free.on the laptop.

samsung 7 inch has sdcard slot,
    is better tablet than the nexus in my opinion.

argos have a 7inch tablet , 136 euro ,it gets good reviews .
    BUT the samsung 7 inch is better .
    worth an extra 14 euros, .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

Personally I'd go with the tablet. We got one for my 85 yo granddad recently and he picked it up fairly easily. An old laptop might be frustrating to use and would need charging a lot more than your average tablet.

Anyway in terms of 7in tablets I'd recommend in order of preference. The google nexus 7, which routinely pops up on HUKD for £110-120 new (last years model).

The Hudl from Tesco, great little performer for the money.

Then the Hisense Sero 7 Pro, again great little performer for the money.

Then the Sumvision Cyclone Voyager 27, best of the chinese import tablets, only negative might be the camera quality.

Those would be my personal recommendations for 7in tablets. You can get big tablets at this price range, but I wouldn't recommend it. Best to try out with something small and light and if he likes it, you can upgrade to a larger size next Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

My dad is in his 70's and is fairly computer literate but we worried about the cross over into a tablet but he took to it like a duck to water. He has taken way better to a tablet than my Mam took to a laptop. I'd def recommend a tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

YOU can get an old laptop,remove the battery, just run it from the mains.
    AS far as i can see the tesco tablet is only avaidable to buy on the website .
    do they sell it in tesco shops.?
    average tablet with has only 8gig storage space.
    LAPTOPS have 60gig or more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Mark.87

All the tablets mentioned above (especally Nexus 7 2012) would be perfect for what he will probably be doing on it. I think a tablet is way more pratical than a laptop (assuming you think he can get the hang of it). In your OP you mentioned you think he can as long as someone has the patience to show him.

Based on that I would recomend the new Amazon Fire tablets. As tablets go they are not that expensive and the majour selling point in this case is you will only have to show him one thing... the mayday button (do a search if you dont know). Any problems he has he can ask Amazon easy. Im sure after Christmas they will be well used to showing older people and tablet noobs around their device.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Melena wrote: »
    What would you think of the Nook HD?
    Just read a bit about it there?

Available here

Looked atthis myself a while ago, heard mostly good things, id say go for it

Thanks guys!

I would rather he gets the tablet to be honest! he likes to sit in ''his chair'' a lot and think the tablet might be just handier, more portable and light.

I like the look and the price of the Nook HD but it doesn't have a camera not a big deal but how great would it be if i managed to show him how to use Skype? the option would be nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 is available for ~ £100. After Cashback. They are doing many different cashback promotions and it varies depending on which store you purchase it from.

Sorry, i'm rushing out the door to collect someone, but here is a good example of one of the promotions - PC World UK

There is better promotions than that. If someone else hasn't already linked to them, or you haven't seen them, i'll try and link when i get back later.

8GB version, but as i said, there are better promotions. Maybe on samsung.ie

I see the amazon kindle fire HD is also doing a good deal ? here

then the nexus 7 you can buy second hand on amazon for about 100 pound also!

What is the samsung like Allyall? and thanks, no rush at all!

I'm torn.

I see the amazon kindle fire HD is also doing a good deal ? here
    then the nexus 7 you can buy second hand on amazon for about 100 pound also!
    What is the samsung like Allyall? and thanks, no rush at all!

I'm torn.
    I shouldn't have thrown the Samsng in there, it only served to confuse.

To be honest, i'd go with last years nexus,for the ~ €23 difference.

Kindle Fire HD is a good price at £99. It has no rear camera nor Google Play store. You can install Google Play after rooting it. Also, it does have amazon app store.

The Nexus can be got Used - Like New, from £100

But, personally, i'd go with the New (2012) Model
    Which can be got cheaper if you look around, and use Parcel Motel.

Manufacturer Refurbished and 12 Month Warranty

Even on amazon it still ends up working out at about €160 That is too much over my budget.

Just taking a slight turn what do you think of these two: I have never heard of Gemini but I have of course Lenovo but no personal experience with them.

or is this a losing battle ?

Even on amazon it still ends up working out at about €160 That is too much over my budget.

Just taking a slight turn what do you think of these two: I have never heard of Gemini but I have of course Lenovo but no personal experience with them.

or is this a losing battle ?

Lenovo are a good PC maker. The Tablet isn't bad, but can be bough for a lot less than that. It's on the lenovo website (Ireland) for €95, but i have seen it available for €75.

The Lenovo ideatabs appear quite often in different deals. If you keep an eye out for a week or two, another offer will probably come up. If you are buying for Christmas, then wait. Next week there are going to be a lot of sales online, beginning with CyberMonday on Amazon.DE

There are already sales on Amazon UK/FR/DE now..

But yep, it's within your budget and it's a well known brand with a guarantee etc..

EDIT - It's gone down to €109 on the littlewoods site since i followed your link. Still more expensive but it just dropped €20.

Thanks a million. I will let you know what I end up settling on. thanks for the help, dunno how you know so much about online bargains! I wouldn't think to look at half of them places!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

I just bought my OH a Prestigio 8" HD multipad -its dual core 1 RAM - 109 euro and its very very good. The 8" is a good size too. Personally for a reasonably priced tablet I think its excellent. Got it Currys online and PC world have them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

looking for similiar help here guys, but ive a budget of 200euro. For my wife who keeps using my macbook pro to browse. Im looking to get her a tablet for specifically wifi browsing the likes of Facebook, twitter, youtube, using email and also watching movies on so im not left waiting to use the my macbook while shes online. PLEASE let me know what people recommend as im hoping to get this as soon as possible.
    Thanks in advance

I would go for the Google Nexus 7 myself if I had that budget!

• Advertisement

I would go for the Google Nexus 7 myself if I had that budget!

+1

If you know anyone in the U.S. The Nexus 2013 (32GB) can be picked up for under €200 (~€198)

Also available on Amazon UK (but not that cheap)

May be more info about where to get it cheapest IN THIS THREAD

Quite a few to look at for that price.

The Asus Memo HD mentioned above..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00G459J5W/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=computers

and

http://shop.lenovo.com/ie/en/tablets/#/?page-index=1&facet-4=1&facet-4=2&facet-2=1

etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

anywhere in the north I could pick it up cheaper, or get it sent to the UK as i work with a few chaps who live over the border...
    cheers

Advertisement