Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mechanical Design Project

• 17-11-2013 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Well folks,

Just wondering if you could help me? I have to design double doors with an AC operated opening and closing system, with a height of 4 meters and a total opening width of 2 meters.

I will have 2 doors (1m in width) and 2 motors. Using a simple rack and pinion system is the method i am choosing to open them with.

The doors are made of aluminium and weighs approx 90kg each.

I want the doors to open over 5 seconds, meaning the the speed i want them to travel at is 0.2m/s.

What i want to know is how do i calculate the size of the motor needed and the gear reduction necessary to get this speed?

Attached are some sketches of what I'm proposing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭JMJR

Unless you are required to do this exercise from first principles!

Hi
    If it was me id go online and look for suppliers (or manufacturers) of this type of equipment. You will probably find a single combined unit that will do the duty required.
    They will very often have charts of various configurations to achieve the travel and speed that you require for your doors.
    John

Advertisement