Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Squad Numbers

• 17-11-2013 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

So I'm a numbers nerd, dunno why or where it has come from but got me thinking on the way Ireland have gone from always having 1-11 starting and then 12-23 as the subs we have now started using squad numbers when the squad is named, for example Walters always wears 13 now even when starting, Wilson played CM for Noel King yet still wore 3(normally a left back) and again when playing CB

I'm just wondering where the numbers come from, why or who would decide who wears what, ye some pick themselves, OShea has worn 4 for years, Coleman 2, Keane 10, Long 9 McGeady 7, McClean 11.

Does it bother people now they have squad numbers, Germany, France, Italy, Spain and many smaller countries have been using them or years then the like of Brazil and England always use 1-11

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

We won't able to have a 1-11 after Keane goes because number 10 will be retired. Or at least thats what should happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

The 1-11 thing is kind of gone out the door these days, it usually follwed this pattern based on position

280825.jpg

I think only the main stays of international squads your keanes/gerrards/schweinsteiger/xavis have their set preferred numbers, after that they are most likely assigned to the current squad roster?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I remember when the only time you'd ever see players playing with numbers other than 1-11 starting was at the world cup (Euros possibly too, but I only remember it at world cups). It fascinated me the first time I saw a goalie playing who wasn't wearing number 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

AgileMyth wrote: »
    We won't able to have a 1-11 after Keane goes because number 10 will be retired. Or at least thats what should happen.

It would be a nice gesture but squads have to assigned 1-23 at international tournaments (not sure about regular qualifiers/friendlies) so it will eventually be taken again.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

AgileMyth wrote: »

FIFA don't allow international numbers to be retired. Some country (can't remember who) wanted to retire a number and have an extra squad number at a World Cup but weren't permitted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭leposean

Zaph wrote: »
    FIFA don't allow international numbers to be retired. Some country (can't remember who) wanted to retire a number and have an extra squad number at a World Cup but weren't permitted.

Argentina, they wanted to retire 10 or Maradonna n have 22 or 24 r whatever it was at the time, Fifa said no so I think, unless Im mistaken, they gave 10 to he third choice keeper.

As for 1-23 for qualifiers, they can wear whatever they want. I remember seeing Anelka wear 39 for France. I think possibly against us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

leposean wrote: »
    Argentina, they wanted to retire 10 or Maradonna n have 22 or 24 r whatever it was at the time, Fifa said no so I think, unless Im mistaken, they gave 10 to he third choice keeper.

As for 1-23 for qualifiers, they can wear whatever they want. I remember seeing Anelka wear 39 for France. I think possibly against us

I seem to remember Ariel Ortega having 10 at 1998 world cup? Also Anelka wore 9 against us in the playoffs. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu8G_PDVc70)

Argentina do like to play with their numbers though. For instance at every world Cup from 1974-1986 their players were almost all numbered in alphabetical
    order.

As to the OP's question. I like the squad numbers. I'd even suggest the idea of extending them to cover an entire qualifying campaign (if feasible).

Sorry they tried to give it to a keeper, fiat said no so they went alphabetically.

Full squad of lads with numbers for the campaign. Myself n a friend put together a squad 33 all with their numbers. Actually we could have a pretty decent squad.
    roanoke wrote: »
    I seem to remember Ariel Ortega having 10 at 1998 world cup? Also Anelka wore 9 against us in the playoffs. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu8G_PDVc70)

Argentina do like to play with their numbers though. For instance at every world Cup from 1974-1986 their players were almost all numbered in alphabetical
    order.

As to the OP's question. I like the squad numbers. I'd even suggest the idea of extending them to cover an entire qualifying campaign (if feasible).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

abFSKtAaj.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I thinking the idea of 'retiring' numbers in football is completely stupid. It's ok for other sports that use much more numbers on a consistent basis, and even then it should only be done for the absolute top echelon legendary players in that particular sport.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

klose wrote: »
    The 1-11 thing is kind of gone out the door these days, it usually follwed this pattern based on position

280825.jpg

I think only the main stays of international squads your keanes/gerrards/schweinsteiger/xavis have their set preferred numbers, after that they are most likely assigned to the current squad roster?

Swap 4 for 6 and you're on the money.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Swap 4 for 6 and you're on the money.

Swapping 4 for 6 is only really what England do. Brazil for example use
    2--3--4--6
    7--5--8--10
    ---11--9---

Advertisement