Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHERE CAN YOU CATCH MINNOWS NEAR TUAM?

Options
  • 17-11-2013 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,
    I am looking for somewhere i can catch minnows near tuam?
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

You are aware that using minnow as bait is illegal?

They are now a protected species and if you get caught using them as bait a heavy fine or short jail sentence is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Mod: Can someone post a link to the bye law in question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

efanton wrote: »
    You are aware that using minnow as bait is illegal?

They are now a protected species and if you get caught using them as bait a heavy fine or short jail sentence is possible.

They are not protected. However using any live fish as bait is illegal.
    http://www.fisheriesireland.ie/fish-species/minnow.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

I stand corrected. Frank is correct.

Using minnow is banned by some local fishing clubs and that is where I thought it was illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

To be fair to the OP he didn't mention anything about using them as livebait.
    They will fall under the general category of coarse fish though... i.e. no more than four taken per day, under 30cms etc etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭madred006

When was this introduced and is it for all areas ? Cheers in advance .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

madred006 wrote: »
    When was this introduced and is it for all areas ? Cheers in advance .
    http://www.attorneygeneral.ie/esi/2011/B28302.pdf

Page 4 line 2

Thanks for that was blissfully ignorant untill now , along with several hundreds more me thinks , just this year seen several guys taking buckets of dace to go to lough ree and fish for pike ,and many locals still use the brandy bottle .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Thanks for that was blissfully ignorant untill now , along with several hundreds more me thinks , just this year seen several guys taking buckets of dace to go to lough ree and fish for pike ,and many locals still use the brandy bottle .

Jesus, if they're keeping them alive to bring to Ree no doubt some will just tip out the bucket when they're finished and hey presto, a new plague of dace in the Shannon! :mad:
    This is the kind of thing that can be stopped if people call the 24-hour hotline - if fishery officers catch guys livebaiting, especially with an invasive species, they will definitely do something about it...

Zzippy wrote: »
    Jesus, if they're keeping them alive to bring to Ree no doubt some will just tip out the bucket when they're finished and hey presto, a new plague of dace in the Shannon! :mad:
    This is the kind of thing that can be stopped if people call the 24-hour hotline - if fishery officers catch guys livebaiting, especially with an invasive species, they will definitely do something about it...

Think that's how they got up so far in the barrow lads were using them in athy and surrounds for pike comps and would then empty the bucket at end of day . We confronted several at it up here because they were using maggots to catch them , but we didn't realise that it was offence to take more than 4 ? .

• Advertisement

This is the type of thing clubs and federations should be making clear and enforcing, rather than meeting ministers about licence fees and ring fencing funds.

Thats why live baiting is illegal, it was introduced to stop the spread of roach, but they have been well established for years now. I cant see why people would catch dace for live baiting in lough ree, as there are no dace in that stretch of the shannon. if they were live baiting (which they shouldnt be doing anyway) why not catch roach in lough ree?
    I would hate to see Dace becoming established in the mid shannon, and suck. It would be the final nail in the bream's coffin.

Thats why live baiting is illegal, it was introduced to stop the spread of roach, but they have been well established for years now. I cant see why people would catch dace for live baiting in lough ree, as there are no dace in that stretch of the shannon. if they were live baiting (which they shouldnt be doing anyway) why not catch roach in lough ree?
    I would hate to see Dace becoming established in the mid shannon, and suck. It would be the final nail in the bream's coffin.

Well strange thing is that guys who were at it seemed very knowledgeable and should have known about this because pike fishing is their speciality according to logo on van , but like has been said above better publication of these changes should be a matter of great urgency and inform clubs or get federations to inform clubs .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

viper123 wrote: »
    To be fair to the OP he didn't mention anything about using them as livebait.
    They will fall under the general category of coarse fish though... i.e. no more than four taken per day, under 30cms etc etc..

Bye law 592 (1977) makes the use of live fish as bait illegal.

Minnow are excluded from the general Coarse fish bye law 806 (2006), so the 4 a day under 25cms doesn't apply.
    Use of a live minnow is illegal as stated above.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

Well strange thing is that guys who were at it seemed very knowledgeable and should have known about this because pike fishing is their speciality according to logo on van

My guess is that they do know but still proceed to fish with live bait:mad:...... report them ! they should know better..

Well strange thing is that guys who were at it seemed very knowledgeable and should have known about this because pike fishing is their speciality according to logo on van , but like has been said above better publication of these changes should be a matter of great urgency and inform clubs or get federations to inform clubs .

I would be shocked if any pike/coarse clubs do not know the rules. those anglers had to know the rules and decided to ignore them. last thing we need is dace in lough ree.

Its also up to the angler to look up the laws before they go fishing, these laws are not new, the last update was in 2006 (the pike laws were updated then). There is only so much clubs can do, as 60-70% of irish anglers are not members of clubs. The information is very accessible, I googled "irish fishing rules", first result gave me this http://www.fishinginireland.info/regulations.htm
    Any tackle shop should be able to tell you everything you need to know as well.

I don't think I've ever met an Irish Pike angler that didn't know livebaiting was illegal.
    I know in some places the continent and in some UK waters it's allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

efanton wrote: »
    I stand corrected. Frank is correct.

Using minnow is banned by some local fishing clubs and that is where I thought it was illegal

As far as I know you'd have to be a member of the club for it to be banned.
    I use minnow all the time. It's the best method that I'd use.
    Make up a rig with a single size 12 in the lip and 2 inch down have a tiny treble hook. Single hook in lip and small treble just at dorsal or further depending on its size. Minnow has to e dead aswell.
    It's my best method if fishing and this year done very well with nice size wild brownys Nd plenty of decent perch one or two pike aswell.

As far as I know you'd have to be a member of the club for it to be banned.
    I use minnow all the time. It's the best method that I'd use.
    Make up a rig with a single size 12 in the lip and 2 inch down have a tiny treble hook. Single hook in lip and small treble just at dorsal or further depending on its size. Minnow has to e dead .

No doubt it can be an effective method as you describe.

Explain to me the bit about having to be a club member in order for it to be disbarred?

Bizzum wrote: »
    No doubt it can be an effective method as you describe.

Explain to me the bit about having to be a club member in order for it to be disbarred?

If a club has a ban on using minnow and
    If your fishing on a river or lake and aren't a club member then surely you don't have to abide by their rules. But the rules of te river itself.

• Advertisement

So , just to make sure is fishing with a minnow allowed on rivers still or is it an offence :-)

If a club has a ban on using minnow and
    If your fishing on a river or lake and aren't a club member then surely you don't have to abide by their rules. But the rules of te river itself.

If it's club waters and they ban it , then it is banned full stop. The ban by clubs is on their waters. Fish their waters opbey their rules.

If it's club waters and they ban it , then it is banned full stop. The ban by clubs is on their waters. Fish their waters opbey their rules.

That would be my take on it.

So , just to make sure is fishing with a minnow allowed on rivers still or is it an offence :-)

There is no state legislation prohibiting the use of a dead minnow.
    An individual river may at the discretion of the local angling club, allow or prohibit the use, depending on club rules.
    So... Know your local river and its rules!

Bizzum wrote: »
    There is no state legislation prohibiting the use of a dead minnow.
    An individual river may at the discretion of the local angling club, allow or prohibit the use, depending on club rules.
    So... Know your local river and its rules!

Well they are allowed on upper barrow lots of lads use the brandy bottle to catch them and fish very well with them catching some great trout .

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

what's the brandy bottle method???

breghall wrote: »
    what's the brandy bottle method???

They get a brandy bottle usually Hennessy :-) and on the bottom there is an indentation which they tap out and fill with bread .Then tie string around top of bottle with cork still intact and place in river , minnows enter through hole in bottom and don't come out .

They get a brandy bottle usually Hennessy :-) and on the bottom there is an indentation which they tap out and fill with bread .Then tie string around top of bottle with cork still intact and place in river , minnows enter through hole in bottom and don't come out .

Flaggin works better. Cut it in half and place the top part into the bottom part with bread and stones.

Flaggin works better. Cut it in half and place the top part into the bottom part with bread and stones.

Never heard of it before cheers must be difficult to cut ? Everyday is a school day

• Advertisement

Never heard of it before cheers must be difficult to cut ? Everyday is a school day

No like a plastic bottle flaggin not a naggin. Drink the naggin and cut the flaggin :)

Advertisement