Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Ruger 10/22?

• 17-11-2013 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

Hi,

Been pistol shooting for a while now and fancy spreading my wings.
    Looking around the Ruger 10/22 seems very popular everwhere. Particularly the amount of aftermarket parts that seem to be available.

Initially I would be interested in benchrest and target shooting. Eventuwlly or maybe at the same time I might be interested in small vermin control for a farmer near me (Rabbits might be the biggest to do...)

My question is do I get the cheapest 10/22 and 'play' with it for a while and then start upgrading (a bull / target barrel woould be something I would look at).
    I have fired the Stainless syntetic stock version (one of the cheapest) and the trigger is a monster - very dificult to pull and stay on target. so this is a must to change.

However the Target version seems to be about 200€dearer, with a different trigger (and the target barrel).

I intend to put a scope on it regardlessof which one I get.

So is it better to plumb for the target version straight away? or better to upgrade from the cheap one????

Any opinion?

Also does anyone know what the trigger pul weight is on the target version (as I havent been able to see/shoot one). Cant find a referance for out of the box trigger weight.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭cw67irl

If it was me id start with the basic model and upgrade as you go, My reasoning would be firstly you can upgrade it piece by piece and get the exact spec you want on the rifle, You are spreading the cost and not shelling out a fortune on the spot, Secondly while the 10/22 is a good gun it wouldnt hold a candle to a custom built with some Kidd or VQ parts or whatever.

A Kidd trigger will be better quality than a ruger "match" trigger, Same goes for a VQ over a ruger heavy barrel.

Finally it allows you to get the exact parts you want, IE if you want a thumbhole stock or a different colour whatever!

Its also great craic getting the exact rifle you want by researching the parts and building it piece by piece!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

Thanks CW, in the time since my post I have kinda come to that conclusion as well. I am even thinking that a second hand 10/22 will do me - as long as the reciever is in good shape.
    And it would be kinda fun doing it. - not having top outlay at the start would be good too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭cw67irl

dc99 wrote: »
    Thanks CW, in the time since my post I have kinda come to that conclusion as well. I am even thinking that a second hand 10/22 will do me - as long as the reciever is in good shape.
    And it would be kinda fun doing it. - not having top outlay at the start would be good too...

No worries, You wont regret it!! If you wanted to go all out you coulsld get a custom receiver but its a good outlay for one part!!!

Ring around a few shops and you should get a cheap one handy enough, You dont have to spend 500 on a rifle you are going to scrap 80% of!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭clivej

dc99 wrote: »
    Hi,

Been pistol shooting for a while now and fancy spreading my wings.
    Looking around the Ruger 10/22 seems very popular everwhere. Particularly the amount of aftermarket parts that seem to be available.

Initially I would be interested in benchrest and target shooting. Eventuwlly or maybe at the same time I might be interested in small vermin control for a farmer near me (Rabbits might be the biggest to do...)

My question is do I get the cheapest 10/22 and 'play' with it for a while and then start upgrading (a bull / target barrel woould be something I would look at).
    I have fired the Stainless syntetic stock version (one of the cheapest) and the trigger is a monster - very dificult to pull and stay on target. so this is a must to change.

However the Target version seems to be about 200€dearer, with a different trigger (and the target barrel).

I intend to put a scope on it regardlessof which one I get.

So is it better to plumb for the target version straight away? or better to upgrade from the cheap one????

Any opinion?

Also does anyone know what the trigger pul weight is on the target version (as I havent been able to see/shoot one). Cant find a referance for out of the box trigger weight.

Thanks in advance

Forget the Ruger 10/22 and every other semi-auto rifle if it's benchrest shooting that's going to be your interest.
    Most bolt action rifles will out shoot you. Even with all the custom parts fitted to the 10/22.

First decide what type of shooting you want to shoot. Go to a good range that does the type of shooting you want to do and give it a try out. You may find benchrest won't cut it and you want to shoot gallery type of comps. If you already shoot handgun in comps. then you know the gallery setup.
    Even for hunting, say rabbits, the bolt action would IMO be the better rifle. But the 10/22 would run a close second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭clivej

As to which 10/22 to get I'd say go for the target model. Better trigger and stock

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 onemoredead

clivej wrote: »
    As to which 10/22 to get I'd say go for the target model. Better trigger and stock

+1
    defo, get .910 barrel target model houge stock.................

have heavy barrel, one with houge stock

very tidy gun,and IT love's cci,win power points,subs..

best of luck ,.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Agree with clive - 10/22 or an semi for benchrest is far less than ideal. Bolt rifle will do a far better job.

For gallery, the 10/22 is a good start and for fieldwork is plenty capable if you think you're going to need quick follow up shots (which, frankly, you shouldn't).

....but I'm just not a fan of semi's to begin with so I may be biased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Agree with clive - 10/22 or an semi for benchrest is far less than ideal. Bolt rifle will do a far better job.

For gallery, the 10/22 is a good start and for fieldwork is plenty capable if you think you're going to need quick follow up shots (which, frankly, you shouldn't).

....but I'm just not a fan of semi's to begin with so I may be biased.

Hi all,
    Firstly thanks for the replays.

As an update, following the replays. I am coming down on the side off trying to acquire a S/ H 10/22, as I intend to scrap most of it(or at least replace) most of it.

I have a line on a few, most around 250 to 300. Haven't looked at condition of them yet, and need advice.....?

Is this an ok price to pay S/h?

What should I look for? Condition wise

How do I tell the gun is in good operating condition?

Any pointers would be good?

As I am coming down on the side of getting S/H, I still want to use it during the 'upgrade' period. (I reckon the trigger will be the first job)

Also, dispute the guns popularity, I have a small no. Of people trying to talk me out of the ruger, to go for a cz, or Remington....part of the appeal is the availability of parts for it.....

Thanks in advance :-)

Hi all,
    Firstly thanks for the replays.

As an update, following the replays. I am coming down on the side off trying to acquire a S/ H 10/22, as I intend to scrap most of it(or at least replace) most of it.

I have a line on a few, most around 250 to 300. Haven't looked at condition of them yet, and need advice.....?

Is this an ok price to pay S/h?

What should I look for? Condition wise

How do I tell the gun is in good operating condition?

Any pointers would be good?

As I am coming down on the side of getting S/H, I still want to use it during the 'upgrade' period. (I reckon the trigger will be the first job)

Also, dispute the guns popularity, I have a small no. Of people trying to talk me out of the ruger, to go for a cz, or Remington....part of the appeal is the availability of parts for it.....

Thanks in advance :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement