Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Cork with family

Options
  • 17-11-2013 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello all, we plan to move to Cork by the start of Next Academic Year 2014-15 and I would like to know about areas to live with my kids and my pet close to CIT...
    If someone can guide me where to get info about Primary schools and Secondary schools, preferable mixed. We are from "Limerick", well I'm Spanish.. My eldest child will start the secondary school in September 2014 and wonder if has to be register by January 2014.
    I have tried to get info in different places but is hard to know.. I am aware that eventually I have to go myself and check everything out, but before that I need some kind of guide.. that is the main reason to get here, and ask ye first.

Thanks in advance for all.

L:):):):)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Hello all, we plan to move to Cork by the start of Next Academic Year 2014-15 and I would like to know about areas to live with my kids and my pet close to CIT...
    If someone can guide me where to get info about Primary schools and Secondary schools, preferable mixed. We are from "Limerick", well I'm Spanish.. My eldest child will start the secondary school in September 2014 and wonder if has to be register by January 2014.
    I have tried to get info in different places but is hard to know.. I am aware that eventually I have to go myself and check everything out, but before that I need some kind of guide.. that is the main reason to get here, and ask ye first.

Bishopstown is a great area to live that will have the following advantages for you.
    CIT is in bishopstown.
    Primary and Secondry schools are in bishopstown and more close by in neighbouring areas.
    Shopping Centre in Wilton which is nearby, has supermarket etc.
    Its a nice Nice quiet Suburban area.

As for mixed primary schools, I am not aware of any except irish language schools which wouldn't be an option for you id say. There is a mixed secondary school in bishopstown called Bishopstown Community School, and there is also the all male Colaiste an Sproaid Noaimh, which is a very good school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Bishopstown is a great area to live that will have the following advantages for you.
    CIT is in bishopstown.
    Primary and Secondry schools are in bishopstown and more close by in neighbouring areas.
    Shopping Centre in Wilton which is nearby, has supermarket etc.
    Its a nice Nice quiet Suburban area.

As for mixed primary schools, I am not aware of any except irish language schools which wouldn't be an option for you id say. There is a mixed secondary school in bishopstown called Bishopstown Community School, and there is also the all male Colaiste an Sproaid Noaimh, which is a very good school.
    +1 Vote on Bishopstown for a home.

Ps. I don't live there but would highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Bishopstown would be a good choice. Secondary school wise, there's Bishopstown Community school, Colaiste Spioraid Naomh (all boys) and Mount Mercy College (All girls). All three secondary schools are English speaking.

I don't know much about the Primary schools, I know there's one Irish speaking one (Gaelscoil Ui Riada). As for English speaking schools, there's St. Catherines which is all girls (feeder school for Mount Mercy) and Scoil Spioraid Naomh which is all boys and a feeder school for Colaiste Spioraid Naomh.

Good luck with the move :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,121 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Howya,

I was born and raised in bishopstown and I couldn't recommend a better place to settle down with a family. Nice quiet area, very little trouble in the area.
    Its a pretty average place, nothing fancy, just very built up with lots of houses.

Its in close proximity to everything really, new roads will connect you to any part of the city in minutes. Wilton is close by also and some very good schools in Colaiste and Sproaid Naoimh, Mount Mercy and there feeder primary schools - Scoil an Sproaid Naoimh and St. Catherines.

I live in the city centre with my family now and I probably miss the quiet.

Best of luck with the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Re application dates for schools . Most secondary schools offer their places approx 8 months in advance So Sept 14 entrants would be offered in Oct/Nov 13 . Just something to bear in mind, not sure what the procedures for primary schools are...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

+1 on Bishopstown/Model Farm Rd. area.
    For info:
    St. Catherines girls school enrolement:
    http://www.stcathns.com/enrol.html

• Registered Users Posts: 37 GenGenie

Hello - sorry for really late post to this thread, but how did the move go? I am moving with my family from galway to wexford and having serious cold feet, very emotional about it and hoping I won't regret it.

Did your kids settle ok with the move?

thanks !

Advertisement