Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCU International Business or Global Business??

Options
  • 17-11-2013 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi I'm in 6th year and I went to the DCU open day this weekend, went to the lectures for both of these courses, read all the leaflets and I'm still a bit puzzled as to the differences between International Business and Global Business. Global business seems to be higher points but I can't see what the reasons for that are. I'm also considering International Relations as I like the language element. Any information on any of these courses from people currently doing them or who have graduated would be great. Also I'd love to know about what work placements people did, or how there year(s) abroad went!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I'm still a bit puzzled as to the differences between International Business and Global Business. Global business seems to be higher points but I can't see what the reasons for that are.

Global Business is essentially a 'Dual' Degree course. You will get accreditation from both DCU and the partner institution you go to. You spend 2 years in DCU and then 2 years at the Partner Institution. Generally higher points also means there is a higher demand of the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭sob1467

I'm in third year global business student.

Basically,

International business = is one year abroad on an erasmus (basically fancy word for year abroad) You do not do any internships during internaional business

Global Business = Two years abroad at partner instiution. Either in Spain France or Germany depending on your choice of language.
    You also do two mandatory internships during that time. One in Ireland and one abroad. You also receive two degrees one from DCU and one from the international school.

I'd recommend the global business one. As it is the only one of its kind courses in the country and the double degree, with a language and two work placements are much more thought after by employers than the international business program.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Packet Of Gravy

So here it shows that Global Business can be studied with German, French or Spanish. http://www.dcu.ie/prospective/degrees.php?prog_type=under&faculty=5000

But looking at the course content optional moules for these it shows Chinese! Can Chinese be done with Global Business? :confused:
    http://www.dcu.ie/registry/module_contents.php?function=4&programme=EBG

• Registered Users Posts: 7 eoinm95

Well in all courses you have to pick modules which add up to 60 credits. I do Global Business I know loads of people who do Global Business and a Language. They have to take up the 40 core credits and they also have no option but to pick the language modules which go with their course i.e Global Business (French) students have to pick French... These language modules take up 20 credits so really there are no optional modules(in first year). So there's no way you can do Chinese in the first year anyway!
    Btw theres a fourth Global Course(which I do) and it's linked with the US(so weve no language) and it's slightly different for us like we can choose to do a language or not!
    Hope that clears things up a bit! :) If you've any other questions about fire ahead! haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Marykate97

eoinm95 wrote: »
    Well in all courses you have to pick modules which add up to 60 credits. I do Global Business I know loads of people who do Global Business and a Language. They have to take up the 40 core credits and they also have no option but to pick the language modules which go with their course i.e Global Business (French) students have to pick French... These language modules take up 20 credits so really there are no optional modules(in first year). So there's no way you can do Chinese in the first year anyway!
    Btw theres a fourth Global Course(which I do) and it's linked with the US(so weve no language) and it's slightly different for us like we can choose to do a language or not!
    Hope that clears things up a bit! :) If you've any other questions about fire ahead! haha

Hi, Im thinking of doing Global Business USA and I was wondering do you like the course? Do you think it's worth it for how high the points are? Also what do you think of the costs involved with the US aspect of the course?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 eoinm95

Personally, I love the course. As far as whether or not I think it's worth the high points, the points are always changing as they are a measure of low supply(10 places) and apparently high demand and not the quality of any course so I don't really know how to respond to that. Costwise it is pretty expensive, the likes of health insurance and accommodation in the states being particularly expensive. However, within the course there is a 4 month paid work placement in Ireland and an 8 month paid placement in the States which does help! Also, fees in Northeastern are roughly $40,000 if not more per annum whilst I only have to pay Irish fees which is something to keep in mind! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

Hi all, My son will be doing his leaving cert in June and would love to do business & japanese in Dcu, I know the point system is high, would like to hear from People who are doing this course now,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 Janesx

Tried to get the current course timetable with the university, no luck
    Is there anyone attending it that could give me the light?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Izzy1997

Hi I know this is an old thread but I'm just wondering whether there's anyone going to do the global business course this year?:)

Advertisement