Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

removing free meals- changing policy practice

Options
  • 17-11-2013 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

In my workplace, at the start of Oct we(all catering staff) were called into a meeting with the hospital Line Manager and informed that the practice in place since 2005, of providing the staff and chefs with free meals(3)-
    (to staff working 8-7 shifts with no other source of food available to them(remote location of hospital/no food from home allowed because no storage/fridge provided, and it poses a threat to contaminating patients food),
    was being removed.
    So only over priced hospital canteen food to buy available.

They claimed VAT issues.
    Then they claimed it was to bring it in line with a sister hospital.
    It is not written into our contract that we get free meals, or we don't.
    it was written in our induction packet and was orally communicated to us that it is common practice.
    Alot of counter points were raised in the meeting and we were assured that although it was due to be implemented on Nov1st. That a follow up meeting with representatives of the staff would be held, for negotiations.

I have been voted one of these people. The other person voted, "JACK" is a guy who sits on the union. I and many of the people I work with are not in the union. "JACK" has claimed that the union has said that the union don't want to get involved, that lots of places have to pay now. he refused to give us the contact number when asked.
    So the Nov 1st start date has been indefinitely delayed. We had the meeting, and with one days notice I was ill prepared. I fought that it was an implied part of customs and practices that we deserved compensation for taking two of the three meals we've had for free, and replacing it with one/that the policies with the siter hospital don't match up with ours in other ways/ and that we have no alternative to provide ourselves with food. But they hadn't come to negotiate. They entered with their mind made up.

I have been researching to properly represent people.
    But I just wanna put a call out to anyone that might know more?
    experienced similar?
    Have I any business putting a call out to the union of the hospital that I'm not in to get advice, to get involved?
    On the labour relations site I looked up, it says they don't get involved in unofficial industrial disputes.
    I feel a bit out of my depth, and I know people can't give me legal advice so any council/steering would be appreciated.
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

From citizens information
    "Work practices can include breaks and rostering, for example. Details of these may also be in your staff handbook and your employer may change these work practices without your consent. It is considered reasonable for an employer to update work practices or processes to save money or increase efficiency."
    Whether free meals constitute a work practice or an implied contractual term (from custom and practice) is the issue. Contractual terms must be agreed between both employer and employee. Seeing as they have been engaging with you, this appears to be part of the consultation period required for changes to contractual terms. If they're unwilling to budge, try getting in contact with http://www.workplacerelations.ie/en/ for more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 SupaReckless

Appreciate the reply.

Advertisement