Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Eireann #405 route: changes needed?

Options
  • 18-11-2013 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭

Bus Eireann's 405 service runs from Ballybane to Rahoon via Eyre Square and University Road.

It's terminus in Rahoon (actually Gort na Bró on the timetable) is inside the 'Gateway Retail Park' where Dunnes, Next, B&Q etc are located.

Dunnes usually closes at 22:00, as do the other shops I presume. However, the 405 continues until 23:30 or so. This means that at certain times passengers are waiting or disembarking in a quiet, poorly lit area.

It is not overstretching the imagination to suggest that this could a bit of a deterrent for some people, women especially.

Are users of the 405 happy with its route around Rahoon? Is the current terminus in the retail park suitable and convenient, and does it feel safe? Could the route be adjusted?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭Storm 10

What about where it stops and starts in Ballybane in the middle of nowhere , no houses or shops anywhere its an accident waiting to happen, why does it not terminate /start at the Clybaun Hotel and finish at Ballybane near houses etc is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Does it not start on the Ballybane Rd?
    My biggest gripe is that it no longer travels via the Dublin Rd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Storm 10 wrote: »
    What about where it stops and starts in Ballybane in the middle of nowhere , no houses or shops anywhere its an accident waiting to happen, why does it not terminate /start at the Clybaun Hotel and finish at Ballybane near houses etc is beyond me.

I haven't travelled on the 405 to Ballybane, so I don't know what conditions are like at that end.

The Clybaun Hotel might make sense as a location for a terminus. However, City Direct dominates that end of the Western Distributor Road. Additionally, there are no bus lanes on the WDR, which would mean that the 405 would get stuck in even more traffic at peak times.

I suspect that bus routes are designed by people who do not use buses regularly themselves and have no awareness of passengers' experiences, perceptions and needs in real life. That said, the buses do seem to function in an A to B sort of way.

Does it not start on the Ballybane Rd?
    My biggest gripe is that it no longer travels via the Dublin Rd

It starts and finishes on the left side of the small road that goes up to Boston Scientific just up from the new traffic lights at Ballybrit, its in the middle of nowhere

To facilitate bus drivers rather than bus passengers perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Duh!

Because 3000-4000 people work in that industrial estate, some of them on shifts that operate at all sorts of hours. The only improvement to the route that I'd suggest it to have the bus go all the way into HP (reception staffed 24 hours) to turn around. Far safer than ending near the houses/shops in the area.

I regularly leave about 6pm on Friday evenings - used to think it would be quiet / desolate by then, but nothing is further from the truth. Lots of Boston workers coming and going.

There are also various people from houses around the place who catch the bus at the terminus in the estate in preference to beside the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Duh!

Because 3000-4000 people work in that industrial estate, some of them on shifts that operate at all sorts of hours. The only improvement to the route that I'd suggest it to have the bus go all the way into HP (reception staffed 24 hours) to turn around. Far safer than ending near the houses/shops in the area.

I regularly leave about 6pm on Friday evenings - used to think it would be quiet / desolate by then, but nothing is further from the truth. Lots of Boston workers coming and going.

There are also various people from houses around the place who catch the bus at the terminus in the estate in preference to beside the shops.
    Strongly agree. Same applies to the 403 and 409 in Parkmore; they should go into the IDA parks

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Are users of the 405 happy with its route around Rahoon? Is the current terminus in the retail park suitable and convenient, and does it feel safe? Could the route be adjusted?

What would be an alternative terminus on WDR?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Somewhere near the clybaun cross road would be more suitable although there is no place really on the WDR for a bus to pull in.

Another gripe at that stupid stop at Ballybane is there is no shelter, you get the bus to work then get drenched running up to work, same thing happens going home, run down to the stop get wet and no shelter, I rest my case

• Advertisement

Another gripe at that stupid stop at Ballybane is there is no shelter, you get the bus to work then get drenched running up to work, same thing happens going home, run down to the stop get wet and no shelter, I rest my case

It a very valid observation. It's not a gripe. Was this vechicle hook turn not built for the buses when the Ballybane junction was converted? Why no shelter was built at the time is beyond any rational thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

The 405 would be perfect for me to get to work if it didn't take such a roundabout way of getting there, through Eyre square and all.. It takes me 12 minutes in the car in the morning (traffic on the SQR seems to be consistently fine in the mornings, strange enough because the evenings are so bad), would take 40 minutes on the bus (and that's if it actually makes its timetable during rush hour traffic, which I doubt). Add to that a 5-10 minute walk on both ends and you're looking at a whole hour, two for the return trip.

I'd say there would be enough custom for a bus at morning/evening times, enough people live in the west of the city and work in the east in the estates. It could start up in Knocknacarra, go over to Rahoon, Westside, QC Bridge, Bothar na Dtreabh, go through the Ballybrit estate and then take the slip road out the back there and go on to Parkmore.

I know I'm just suiting my needs when I say this but this is really something that would make the bus a viable option for me. And I don't think I'm the only one.
    Because 3000-4000 people work in that industrial estate, some of them on shifts that operate at all sorts of hours. The only improvement to the route that I'd suggest it to have the bus go all the way into HP (reception staffed 24 hours) to turn around.

Maybe HP have a problem with a public bus service operating on their site? It could be a liability/insurance issue. I don't know, just thinking out loud :)

I know they had (have?) a bus in the morning/evening to eyre square/salthill but as far as I know it was organised specifically for them so maybe that's a different issue.

I'm not sure. The two main obstacles to a 405 terminus on the WDR itself (the obvious choice otherwise?) are the presence of City Direct and the lack of bus lanes.

Maybe the answer is better street lighting and/or CCTV within the retail park?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

As it happens I was driving across the city the other day and was thinking most of my journeys seem to be from one side to the other trying to avoid the city centre. Surely there are a lot of people in the same situation and a bus route that didn't go through eyre square but performed a loop of the city stopping at what would be the terminus of the other routes going in to eyre square would be useful.
    Whenever I have been in other cities with well used public transport there always seems to be a radial bus service around the city as well as a linear one going to/from the city centre.
    Maybe Galway isn't big enough to support this system I dont know

Maybe HP have a problem with a public bus service operating on their site? It could be a liability/insurance issue. I don't know, just thinking out loud :)

I'd be fairly sure it is an insurance issue with a public stop on private property. Also consider that the HP site is now a building site also due to the construction of their new premises which supposedly will take another 2 years to complete and you can see why it would not be advisable for them to allow a public stop on their property

Why the focus on HP? There are other employers up here. Is it really an "Insurance" issue? Whats the difference between private motorists and public transport providers using these private roads?

Agree re sentiments about a radial bus route. Should at least be provided at rush hour times.

Why the focus on HP? There are other employers up here. Is it really an "Insurance" issue? Whats the difference between private motorists and public transport providers using these private roads?

Agree re sentiments about a radial bus route. Should at least be provided at rush hour times.

I think it was mentioned earlier as HP already has a dedicated bus route for it's employees.

I don't get your argument at all about private roads. The internal roads of the business site are for it's own employees. Anyone outside of that would need some form of public liability insurance. It is ridiculous to suggest that public transport could use any private road.

zarquon wrote: »
    The internal roads of the business site are for it's own employees. Anyone outside of that would need some form of public liability insurance. It is ridiculous to suggest that public transport could use any private road.

Is this a public road? TTBOMK it has not been taken in charge by Galway City Council, though I'm open to correction.

It's called Gort na Bro on the 405 timetable, but in fact the terminus is inside the "Gateway Retail Park".

I think it was mentioned earlier as HP already has a dedicated bus route for it's employees.

I don't get your argument at all about private roads. The internal roads of the business site are for it's own employees. Anyone outside of that would need some form of public liability insurance. It is ridiculous to suggest that public transport could use any private road
    Where is this being suggested? Would obviously have to have permission / co-operation with landowners. Maybe in their interests to have this facility/services.
    Is this road here a private road for example: https://maps.google.ie/maps?q=western+distributor+road+galway&hl=en&ll=53.290655,-9.008038&spn=0.004297,0.024784&sll=53.201733,-9.170862&sspn=1.640302,3.240967&t=h&hnear=Western+Distributor+Rd,+Galway,+County+Galway&layer=c&cbll=53.290649,-9.008034&panoid=N-jcIqFS4unK8fZZvgymCA&cbp=11,77.43,,0,0&z=16

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Is this a public road? TTBOMK it has not been taken in charge by Galway City Council, though I'm open to correction.

It's called Gort na Bro on the 405 timetable, but in fact the terminus is inside the "Gateway Retail Park".

Interesting question, although the retail park would have public liability insurance which would cover those frequenting public transport. A private business, closed to the public is a different matter as they would only have employee liability insurance

• Advertisement

As far as I am aware that area is owned by the IDA, the factories own the property they are on but the road is public, who would object to a proper bus service in their area for their employees anyway would it not be a great help to them, we should all call Bus Eireann in Galway and tell them what we think of that stupid stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Cleahaigh

If people don't like the terminus they could just go to the next stop on the WDR near the entrance to Browne's Garden, it's not all that far. Or wait at the roundabout until you see the bus approaching, then wander over.

Cleahaigh wrote: »
    If people don't like the terminus they could just go to the next stop on the WDR near the entrance to Browne's Garden, it's not all that far. Or wait at the roundabout until you see the bus approaching, then wander over.

The main issue would be a lack a bus shelter which is required during the rain that is denied on the other commuting thread ;)

I'd be fairly sure it is an insurance issue with a public stop on private property. Also consider that the HP site is now a building site also due to the construction of their new premises which supposedly will take another 2 years to complete and you can see why it would not be advisable for them to allow a public stop on their property

Nonsense.

There is already a bus stop on their property, which is used by the public "factory run" bus that runs to/from Salthill each morning and evening. And the plannig app for their new building says that the site includes pedestrian access and bus-drop off facilities.

The seervice may have been exclusive to HP staff back in the day when the place was just a factory surrounded by fields and Wilson Sports, but today is it used by staff from Boston, APC, Supermacs and the various other businesses in the estates. It's operated by BÉ's regional (or whatever they're called) buses, but it charges the same fare as any bus and takes the regular city bus daily / weekly / monthly fickets.

Re the bus-shelter: I totally agree that it's ridiculous. But it's Galway City Council we should be lobbying. BÉ run buses, the council is responsible for the "street furniture".

Nonsense.

There is already a bus stop on their property, which is used by the public "factory run" bus that runs to/from Salthill each morning and evening. And the plannig app for their new building says that the site includes pedestrian access and bus-drop off facilities.

The seervice may have been exclusive to HP staff back in the day when the place was just a factory surrounded by fields and Wilson Sports, but today is it used by staff from Boston, APC, Supermacs and the various other businesses in the estates. It's operated by BÉ's regional (or whatever they're called) buses, but it charges the same fare as any bus and takes the regular city bus daily / weekly / monthly fickets.

It might be informally used by the public but it's primary designation is for HP employees otherwise it would stop on the road and not past the entrance. I highly doubt that HP have bought public liability insurance to support the trafficking of employees from neighbouring businesses.

It might be informally used by the public but it's primary designation is for HP employees otherwise it would stop on the road and not past the entrance. I highly doubt that HP have bought public liability insurance to support the trafficking of employees from neighbouring businesses.

HP don't run the bus, so they couldn't possibly be responsible for providing insurance cover for it.

And of course they have public liability insurance that covers visitors to their site, including those walking to and from a bus stop that is located there.

Even BÉ know that's it's not only for HP workers - sometimes the sign on the bus says "APC".

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

There is but only from Salthill, not from e.g. Knocknacarra (which is the route of the 405 this post is about).

Re the bus-shelter: I totally agree that it's ridiculous. But it's Galway City Council we should be lobbying. BÉ run buses, the council is responsible for the "street furniture".

So this is Galway City East
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/YourCouncil/CouncilMembers/TheFile,1910,en.pdf
    Cllr's for this ward are:
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/YourCouncil/CouncilMembers/GalwayCityEast/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

Re the bus-shelter: .....BÉ run buses, the council is responsible for the "street furniture".

are you sure about this? I reported some vandalism to a shelter to the Council and I was told that the shelters were the sole responsibility of BÉ.

We use the 405 occasionally and the only comment I'd have is the lack of proper terminus facilities at Gort na Bró, esp. lighting, shelter, proper route info display etc.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement

jkforde wrote: »
    are you sure about this? I reported some vandalism to a shelter to the Council and I was told that the shelters were the sole responsibility of BÉ.

We use the 405 occasionally and the only comment I'd have is the lack of proper terminus facilities at Gort na Bró, esp. lighting, sheltery, proper route info display etc.
    Council were fobbing you off! Am not surprised. As far as I am aware these shelters cost the Council nothing. The advertisers pay for the shelter and installation in lieu for the Ad revenues from the posters.

Advertisement