Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best study spots in James Joyce library

Options
  • 18-11-2013 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Is anyone willing to reveal their secrets? ^^

I don't mind James Joyce library in general, but the majority of the desks are very low, my neck and back hurt when studying there for long periods as I'm crouched over. Ideally I'm just looking for any spot in the library where the ergonomics are good :)

Those individual study rooms look really good, but they are for postgrads only, booo

(Btw the health science building has nice high desks, but it has ****ty wifi at the best of times so I avoid it)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭UCDCritic

The best study spots are outside of the James Joyce library (and no I don't mean sitting beside the turnstiles)

There are lots of good study spots around campus you just have to find them. Use your imagination. Sometimes you might think you'd be breaking the rules if you go in there but you'll get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

UCDCritic wrote: »
    The best study spots are outside of the James Joyce library (and no I don't mean sitting beside the turnstiles)

There are lots of good study spots around campus you just have to find them. Use your imagination. Sometimes you might think you'd be breaking the rules if you go in there but you'll get away with it.

Gonna have to report you to the relevant authorities.

i kid

AdamD wrote: »

Good man

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Very top floor of the library is usually less busy and has decent desks. But if your after quiet, as UCDCritic said, don't go the library. There is always someone shuffling or people talking in groups. In my 5 years here, I've never studied in the library for more than an hour and it was usually just to pass the time between lecture's.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭beauty101

One of the best areas I've found in the James Joyce is the e-device free zones, particularly on level 2...that is if you don't need your computer! Otherwise it's a bit of a nightmare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Vorophobe

Thank you all! ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I think there's places on Level 5 that you're allowed study in, correct me if I'm wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I tend to prefer the networked desks on Level 2 (I think) First escalator up anyway.

I find some of the behaviour in the library inexplicable and deeply selfish. The sheer number of people who do not switch their phones to silent on entry into the library. Today, at least three of them while I was in there today. It is not that hard to remember,

The sheer number of people who dump their stuff on a desk, use it for a bit, and then vanish for extended periods of time, coinciding with lunch and lecture times. The library is packed at the moment on occasion with people unable to find vacant desks. I think this sort of behaviour is deeply unfair.

The vast numbers of people who leave laptops unattended on desks and the subset of those who don't even bother to screenlock their computers on leaving them unattended.

Seriously,. You have a laptop, open to your Facebook account and who knows what else, and you walk away and leave it completely open to the world?

I mean, already I'm astonished that people leave laptops unattended but from an IT security, personal privacy and identity theft and vandalism point of view, this is really, really unwise.

AdamD wrote: »

i kid

I was referring to the class rooms on level one of the arts block (wasn't sure if you were aloud to use them) but I can now speak freely about using those rooms are they are now locking them at 6pm in the evening.

You could lock yourself into a disability toilet.

They are quite spacious and very quiet.

(that's a joke) :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭beauty101

On a whole I prefer the Health Sciences library to the JJ. It's much quitter however as an Arts students I'm fairly tied to the JJ plus HS library is smaller. But if you can get there early it's great!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Fergus_Nash

Everyon ein their time in UCD should go to the library in Blackrock, it's really nice. 2 plugs per table, it's small but beautiful. It's an old church I think, so if the study isn't going well, you can always pray for divine intervention.

In James Joyce last Friday and a phone rang, didn't think the person would actually answer the phone and say "sorry, I'm in the library at the moment".

The Quinn building has good study spaces.

The International Lounge under the main restaurant has very comfortable seating and is dead quiet on a Friday evening. Check the opening hours though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

beauty101 wrote: »
    On a whole I prefer the Health Sciences library to the JJ. It's much quitter however as an Arts students I'm fairly tied to the JJ plus HS library is smaller. But if you can get there early it's great!

Really like the Health Science library but I find when it's busy it's far from quiet. The open plan design means you can hear people talking/scanning their student cards as they enter the place, and the wooden floor means the noise of people trampling up the stairs and others in high heels echoes around the place. And that's not mentioning the noise of the big air conditioning system or whatever it is down one end of the building. The first floor is a lot quieter but far smaller so I find it too cramped.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Richview. The Architecture Computer rooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

Newstead, untapped resource. Engineering building so no noise because engineers are no craic.

Advertisement