Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitten food

• 18-11-2013 3:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭

What's people's opinions on kitten food? Seems to be a very poor selection of kitten food available. Wet food wise all I can see on zooplus is either smilla or animonda carny. She's currently on whiskas and her poos are solid but the smell is shocking compared to bunty who's on the decent stuff.

Debating whether to leave her on whiskas kitten for another while or change her onto a half decent quality adult food now. She's eating like a horse, currently eating about 3 100g pouches a day now but she'd eat the whole box if she could open it :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Denise90

The smell out of my fella's litter box was foul when he was on Royal Canin but I've moved him onto Nature's Menu kitten pouches and there's basically no more smell! I also started giving him small bits of poultry necks from the dogs supply as a filler (bottomless pit for a stomach) and he goes mental for them!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Applaws kitten

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

There's a petshop near me that sells natures menu actually, must look to see have they the kitten variety.

Not gone on applaws wet food, for what it is (shredded chicken and rice) it's quite expensive and it's not complete, as a treat though they love it :) The dry food seems good though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

When Dude was a small kitten I used to feed him the whiskas kitten pouches and james wellbeloved turkey and rice dry food. I think it suited him well, I couldn't find any good quality wet food for a price that suited in an actual pet shop, and wouldn't always have the money/time to buy online, but there was a local pet shop with the JWB which was about 12-14 euro a bag which would last about a month and he loved it. And the adult cats loved it a bit too much too and got big bellies for a while :D Never had any problem with poos only when he had a tummy bug (unrelated to the food), they didn't smell as bad as when Peach and Cream were kittens (they were fed only whiskas food) so I figure the JWB counteracted it somehow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I know it has a high carb content, but we swear by Royal Canin for all our rescue kittens. They start out on BabyCat and progress to Kitten 36. If they are still with us at six months plus, I've started moving them onto Kitten Sterilised, which has a lower fat content. They all have the most lush coats, bright eyes and great energy. I recognise that Applaws probably has better meat content and higher protein, but it's not easily obtained in Limerick and we take advantage of the regular offers on RC at Maxi Zoo.

ETA: Zapperzy, how old is your kitten? I wouldn't be any rush to move her onto adult cat food while she's still growing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

boomerang wrote: »
    I recognise that Applaws probably has better meat content and higher protein, but it's not easily obtained in Limerick and we take advantage of the regular offers on RC at Maxi Zoo.

They have started doing applaws (well the wet food anyway) in Munster Pet Store in Limerick :)

boomerang wrote: »
    ETA: Zapperzy, how old is your kitten? I wouldn't be any rush to move her onto adult cat food while she's still growing.

Between 3 and 4 months I reckon, she strayed into us somewhere between 8 to 10 weeks old.

I'l keep her on the kitten food for another while so, might try out some other brands, the whiskas poos are really smelly! Trying to avoid buying online until the last batch of food is gone for the other pair, I know I'l end up spending too much on unnecessary stuff online. Taking a trip up to pets at home next week anyways so I'm sure I'l pick up loads of bits there :)

It's amazing how much they eat though, Jesse would scoff 300-400g a day but Bunty who's 4 times as big as her only eats about 100g a day :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Bozita do a kitten food in the tetra packs, I buy it for our little madam, she goes nuts for it (mind you she's just a pig!)
    I have her on rc kitten dry, but will be changing shortly as she is stinky on it, Mouse thrived on it, no smell, it is great for building up sickly kittens, babycat is fab too.

To update on this I took a trip to pets at home and got her a 1.5kg bag of wainwrights http://www.petsathome.com/shop/wainwright-s-turkey-and-rice-kitten-1.5kg-121503 Seemed very reasonably priced and quite good quality, ingredients look to be on par with james wellbeloved.

Changed her over to it over the course of 2 or 3 days (probably a little quick but being a stray before we decided to take her in and keep her she was fed anything and everything with no ill effects, so I reckoned she'd have a fairly iron stomach). Within 12 hours of her first bowl she had soft stools. Kept her on it for about 5 or 6 days thinking she'd adjust to it but she got worse and worse until the poor mite had very noisy and watery diarrhea. She's back on the whiskas kitten jelly pouches now a few days and she's back passing solids again.

I really hate whiskas (aka kitty crack :p) but can't explain why the high quality food disagreed with her so badly yet she's eaten crappy gocat dry food with no issues, she's had tins of bunty's adult smilla food, regularly scavenges dinner leftovers (ate quite an amount of white rice with sweet chilli sauce sprinkled on it once) and I bring home scraps of sliced turkey from work sometimes. Not to mention the muck that whiskas is, god knows what ingredients are in that! So back to the drawing board again with her I think. Trust me to end up with another fussy eating dodgy stomach cat! :rolleyes:

Edited to add: At least the cat rescue will benefit from a nearly full bag of kitten food! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

We have our 10 week old foster kitten on RC baby cat dry food and Felix kitten pouches. Her fur is like silk and she's full of energy. If she's still with us in a few months I'll switch to Applaws dry for kittens as our 4 adult cats are on Applaws and they're all doing great.

• Advertisement
Advertisement