Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Special - (Spoilers)

• 18-11-2013 9:23am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Splitting this from the 50th thread to avoid confusion

Xmas Episode
    This is what I've heard we're getting this Christmas

A few different people have been saying this or slight variations on this

SPOILERS, SPOILERS, SPOILERS

Not my spoilers by the way just what's doing the rounds of the rumor mill lately

"On the fields of Trenzalore, at the fall of the eleventh, when no living creature can speak falsely or fail to answer, a Question will be asked, a question that must never, ever be answered. The First Question, the oldest question in the Universe, that must never be answered, hidden in plain sight. Doctor Who?"

The episode will take place in Christmas Town (I know,right on the nose eh?) on Trenzalore.
    Christmas town is surrounded by a truth field, hence the above "no living creature can speak falsely or fail to answer"
    Dalek, Weeping Angel and Cybermen(Including a wooden Cyberman) fight to reach The Doctor to force him to answer the question.
    The Doctor finds himself protected by/Fighting alongside an alliance that includes the church of the silence who don't want the question answered.

The battle goes on for years, possibly hundreds.
    The Doctor looses a leg at some point and gets a wooden replacement. (Matt Smith got knee surgery at one point during filming and they incorporated his limping into the story)
    Finally The Doctor is near death as He's now an old man and his body worn out.
    He dies thinking he has no regenerations left.
    However he does regenerate, violently and explosively. large enough to wipe out all of the armies on Trenzalore.
    Clara and the church of silence see the explosion from space and return to look for his body.
    Upon entering the TARDIS she finds Capaldi dressed in Matt Smiths clothes and he still thinks he is Matt Smith as he had no regenerations left.......

Spoiler: Every spoiler I've heard so far has been a variation on that story, apparently a VFX lite version was shown at Matt's going away party from BBC Wales and that's where the leaks are coming from.

Take all of that with a huge pinch of salt, and we'll see all of that or possibly none of that

Sounds very dark for a Christmas episode and I personally don't believe most of it, but that's whats being said

How any of that ^ will relate to The Day Of The Doctor I've no clue

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

We have a trailer following the 50th tonight...

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Coldzone

The Master wrote: »
    Splitting this from the 50th thread to avoid confusion

Xmas Episode
    This is what I've heard we're getting this Christmas

A few different people have been saying this or slight variations on this

Not my spoilers by the way just what's doing the rounds of the rumor mill lately

"On the fields of Trenzalore, at the fall of the eleventh, when no living creature can speak falsely or fail to answer, a Question will be asked, a question that must never, ever be answered. The First Question, the oldest question in the Universe, that must never be answered, hidden in plain sight. Doctor Who?"

The episode will take place in Christmas Town (I know,right on the nose eh?) on Trenzalore.
    Christmas town is surrounded by a truth field, hence the above "no living creature can speak falsely or fail to answer"
    Dalek, Weeping Angel and Cybermen(Including a wooden Cyberman) fight to reach The Doctor to force him to answer the question.
    The Doctor finds himself protected by/Fighting alongside an alliance that includes the church of the silence who don't want the question answered.

The battle goes on for years, possibly hundreds.
    The Doctor looses a leg at some point and gets a wooden replacement. (Matt Smith got knee surgery at one point during filming and they incorporated his limping into the story)
    Finally The Doctor is near death as He's now an old man and his body worn out.
    He dies thinking he has no regenerations left.
    However he does regenerate, violently and explosively. large enough to wipe out all of the armies on Trenzalore.
    Clara and the church of silence see the explosion from space and return to look for his body.
    Upon entering the TARDIS she finds Capaldi dressed in Matt Smiths clothes and he still thinks he is Matt Smith as he had no regenerations left.......

Spoiler: Every spoiler I've heard so far has been a variation on that story, apparently a VFX lite version was shown at Matt's going away party from BBC Wales and that's where the leaks are coming from.

Take all of that with a huge pinch of salt, and we'll see all of that or possibly none of that

Sounds very dark for a Christmas episode and I personally don't believe most of it, but that's whats being said

How any of that ^ will relate to The Day Of The Doctor I've no clue

This may be plausible now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

SPOILERS
    The Cyberman head The Doctor is carrying is called Handles...
    Check out the arms of a Weeping Angel sticking out from the snow in the bottom left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,831 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Orla Brady cast people guessing she is either
    Romana or the Rani.
    . Which would be very interesting.
    The start of the return of the TimeLords maybe.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a533288/orla-brady-to-star-in-matt-smiths-final-doctor-who-episode.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Rumor is her character's name will be
    Tasha Lem
    As it's silly season already people have jumped to the conclusion that's an anagram for Le Mastha or The Master
    :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Well, after The Night of the Doctor, the canon is fairly well established that re-generations can change the a Time Lord into a Time Lady...

Are you ready for a sex-change?

(if this happens, I'll donate €20 to the SSF for The Master's handle to be updated to "The Mistress")

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Rumor is her character's name will be
    Tasha Lem
    As it's silly season already people have jumped to the conclusion that's an anagram for Le Mastha or The Master

Dear god, yeeeesh; I haven't seen that kind of tenuous conclusion-jumping since the Half Life 3 thread in Games :eek: :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Did someone just say a woman cast is probably Romana or the Rani in seriousness? :D

Title confirmed as

"The Time Of The Doctor"

PS

SPOILERS

The flames either side of Clara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Looks like they are throwing the kitchen sink at the Doctor in this Episode, looking forward t it. Personally for me I liked the less Christmassy episodes such as EOT and Invasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Title confirmed as

"The Time Of The Doctor"
    Shame it's not the rumoured 'Twelfth Night'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I keep having to remind myself that the Christmas special is less than a month away; it's a nice reminder :D Though then the other part of me remembers it'll be Smith's final story* and I get a dose of the sads :(

[*] until he comes back for a multi-doctor story. I have a suspicion the success of the 50th, and how well the leads got on with each other, might lead to more crossover episodes.

pixelburp wrote: »
    [*] until he comes back for a multi-doctor story. I have a suspicion the success of the 50th, and how well the leads got on with each other, might lead to more crossover episodes.

Won't be worth it unless Big Ron from down the market comes back for "Dimensions In Time II" :pac:

I keep having to remind myself that the Christmas special is less than a month away; it's a nice reminder :D Though then the other part of me remembers it'll be Smith's final story* and I get a dose of the sads :(

Also, I can remember all of us saying when Tennant was going "don't worry, you can see he loves the series, he'll be back." I think Smith is completely, utterly the same and unless something goes majorly wrong Capaldi too. It may not be too long before we see them bumbling about together again.

Also, I can remember all of us saying when Tennant was going "don't worry, you can see he loves the series, he'll be back." I think Smith is completely, utterly the same and unless something goes majorly wrong Capaldi too. It may not be too long before we see them bumbling about together again.

I can't remember where, but I vaguely recall an interview with Smith where he suggested he freaked out, almost instantly regretting that he handed in his notice. I always got the impression he loved playing the part, and admired how he stayed in character even with all those random publicity stunts. His general goofiness always made me think he might have been the kiddies favourite too (of the 3 new Docs so far).

Is Capaldi a fan? Honestly I don't know much about his past bar Malcolm Tucker, a few notable parts (e.g., Neverwhere) and the fact he's pals with Craig Ferguson, himself an unapologetic Whovian.

I can't remember where, but I vaguely recall an interview with Smith where he suggested he freaked out, almost instantly regretting that he handed in his notice. I always got the impression he loved playing the part, and admired how he stayed in character even with all those random publicity stunts. His general goofiness always made me think he might have been the kiddies favourite too (of the 3 new Docs so far).

Is Capaldi a fan? Honestly I don't know much about his past bar Malcolm Tucker, a few notable parts (e.g., Neverwhere) and the fact he's pals with Craig Ferguson, himself an unapologetic Whovian.

I have to say Matt's way with kids reminded me of the stories I used to read about Hartnell telling kids not to wander too far from their parents in supermarkets because he was tracking Daleks there :) it always made him even more THE Doctor for me.

I'm actually suprised you don't know this- Capaldi is a bigger fan than you or I, he actually wrote for a fanzine at one point, and sent letters to the Beebs as a kid! They made a big thing about it when he was announced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Capaldi is an absolutely massive fan. Probably out-doing everyone here tbh.

He always said that the brief part he had back in the Fires of Pompeii episode was one of the biggest deals for him as he got to at least be in an episode of Doctor Who.

I think he's going to be a great choice for the Doctor, and his direction of the character is going to be very different from the last three I reckon.

The Time of the Doctor has been confirmed. (Can't believe they didn't go with 'Twelfth Night' for a title)
    it's 7:30 pm Christmas Night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,831 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It's the end of Matt Smith leaving trilogy I guess thats why they stuck with The... of the Doctor name.

(1) The Name of the Doctor.

(2) The Day of the Doctor.

(3) The Time of the Doctor.

• Advertisement

Some great new pics from the episode

Spoilers

http://www.farfarawaysite.com/section/doctor/gallery4/gallery10/gallery6/gallery.htm

Spoilers
    Daleks
    Weeping Angels
    Wooden Cybermen
    Sontaran Ships
    Silents
    Handles!!
    The Bell tower
    Clerics

Excuse me Clara, the Doctor is your what now?

SPOILERS
    Abramal: If I may, why are you here, Doctor?

The Doctor notices a tall figure standing behind Abramal, in shadow.

The Doctor: Who's that?

Abramal turns. He's shocked.

Abramal: I don't... I don't know.

He turns back to the Doctor.

Abramal: What was I blathering about? Oh, yes! Why are you here, Doctor?

Clara: But what about that person?

The Doctor knows what's going on. He strides towards the figure. Clara, Abramal and Marta cautiously follow.

The Doctor: Oh, no. Oh, no, no, no, no. Why here?

They reach the tall figure. It is a SILENT.

Clara: Doctor, what the hell is that?

The Doctor (to Silent): If you're smart then you'll get off this planet right now.

Silent: Who are you to demand such a thing?

The Doctor: I'm the Doctor, and that means it's not a demand, it's a requirement.

Silent: A doctor?

The Doctor: You don't know me? You tried to kill me.

Silent: You are not an enemy of ours. Yet.

The Doctor: Then let me ask, if I'm a doctor, who are you?

Silent: We are the Silence.

The Doctor: The Silence, eh? Well, how can you be called that and not know me? Your silence is my silence. My death.

Silent: No.

The Doctor: Then what is it?

Silent: We are the Silent Rulers. We have had dominion over this world for a millennia, and yet no one knows we are here.

The Doctor: Well, not for much longer.

Silent: The Empire of the Silence will never fall.

The Doctor: That's what the Romans said.

He turns to his three companions.

The Doctor: Abramal, Marta, Christmas Town is being invaded.

Suddenly, there is a massive explosion to the right of them, in the distance. DALEKS.

Dalek: Exterminate!

Marta: Well, I can see that!

PLUS

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ba5WCGlIcAAmtqw.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

From Breakingnews.ie yesterday

"Doctor Who boss Steven Moffat said that some fundamental Doctor Who myths and stories will be turned on their head or re-imagined in the Christmas special.
    “We’ll find out that Matt Smith is actually the 13th Doctor – although everyone knows that the Doctor can only regenerate 12 times,” he said.
    “That 12-times limit is a central part of Doctor Who mythology – and science fiction is all about the rules, right? So if the Doctor can never change again, what’s Peter Capaldi doing in the Christmas special?” "

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

SPOILERS
    The Regeneration scene revealed!!

http://i.imgur.com/Xcf3PMY.png

SPIOLERS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Locked in the paradox of both wanting Xmas to come, yet also not, for it signals the end of both Smith, and perhaps more irritating, another prolonged wait for more Who.

Hey, it'll do the series some good, considering the levels of hype gone into both the 50th and the Xmas regen, leave audiences a bit of breath before it's running a-proper, but really, Capaldi! I'm quaking to see what he does with the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Coldzone

Another trailer for Xmas Special

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

"The Doctor is regenerating."

Moffat would never do it half way through the episode, would he?

Advertisement