Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Special - (Spoilers)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

"The Doctor is regenerating."

Moffat would never do it half way through the episode, would he?

Hopefully not

As much as I like Matt Smith and will be sad to see him go I am very excited to see what the next Doctor brings
    I would like to see 11 get a good send off though not quite as dragged out as 10's

I shall be sitting on my couch on Christmas day wearing my Fez with my Sonic at the ready for this one

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Hopefully not

As much as I like Matt Smith and will be sad to see him go I am very excited to see what the next Doctor brings
    I would like to see 11 get a good send off though not quite as dragged out as 10's

10's ending felt more like a send off for RTD than 10. Kind of cleaning the slate as much as possible and saying goodbye to almost every character so Moffat could start afresh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Penn wrote: »
    10's ending felt more like a send off for RTD than 10. Kind of cleaning the slate as much as possible and saying goodbye to almost every character so Moffat could start afresh.

Which made it even more self-indulgent than it was already; I distinctly remember someone in the room with me shouting "get on with it" at the telly. It never struck me as RTD bowing out gracefully, more like an OTT, overwrought goodbye.

In other news, this may interest people who have been frustrated with Moffat's run, specifically those who have felt various plot strands have been left unanswered / unresolved. Now, Moffat's obviously going to try and sell the show in the run-up, but given it's Smith's last performance you'd imagine he doesn't feel the need to sell it to the sceptics and it can be taken as genuine:
    Moffat wrote:
    "It will be tying up various elements of the Eleventh Doctor's story, some of which people have asked about before, some of which people haven’t bothered to ask about!" [...]

"From Matt Smith's first to his last episode, there will be elements. And it should be obvious they were fairly carefully planned.

"It's not obstructive – if you did'’t remember any of that stuff or care about that stuff it would still be fine. If you've been sitting there saying, "Who blew up the TARDIS?" then you'll get it."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

New American Trailer, more footage and spoilers!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlN-SPx1zAg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmm, well now I'm even more confused who this lady from the Doctor's past might be. She seems to be
    in charge of the Clerics, so is she a younger version of Madame Kovarian perhaps? She did kinda disappear from the show so perhaps she's been hiding all this time. They were trying to harness River's regenerative ability, so maybe this is the result? I certainly don't subscribe to the idea she's either the Rani, Romana, the Master or anything older than the last 2 seasons ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Coldzone

After watching the American trailer
    I was watching The God Complex episode and thought the Doctors door would come up :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

There was a preview screening in the BFI last night.

A few newspapers have published some spoiler free reviews but methinks the real spoilers are gonna start to come in the next few days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

"The Time War shall start a new"

Did anyone else get that?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Yup :O

The Master wrote: »
    There was a preview screening in the BFI last night.

A few newspapers have published some spoiler free reviews but methinks the real spoilers are gonna start to come in the next few days

I hope not; it's arguably the biggest episode since, well, the last regeneration story so I hope journalists maintain some decorum in their reviews. That said, can we have a general agreement not to post up any heavy spoilers that may slip out - not even in the grey spoiler-text? I know this thread has thus-far been peppered with spoilers, but in case any heavy one slip out, it'd be nice to keep the thread broadly free of the larger surprises (I'm still a bit miffed about the Tom Baker cameo getting spoiled in the runup to the 50th anniversary tale :()

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,698 ✭✭✭bren2001

pixelburp wrote: »
    I hope not; it's arguably the biggest episode since, well, the last regeneration story so I hope journalists maintain some decorum in their reviews. That said, can we have a general agreement not to post up any heavy spoilers that may slip out - not even in the grey spoiler-text? I know this thread has thus-far been peppered with spoilers, but in case any heavy one slip out, it'd be nice to keep the thread broadly free of the larger surprises (I'm still a bit miffed about the Tom Baker cameo getting spoiled in the runup to the 50th anniversary tale :()

Maybe don't read the spoilers then? I stopped reading the 50th anniversary thread due to spoilers (my own fault as I was just too tempted to read them when I clicked on). Now that I know a preview screening has been shown, it is time to click subscribe until Stephen's Day.

bren2001 wrote: »
    Maybe don't read the spoilers then? I stopped reading the 50th anniversary thread due to spoilers (my own fault as I was just too tempted to read them when I clicked on). Now that I know a preview screening has been shown, it is time to click subscribe until Stephen's Day.

Yeah, obviously, but accidents happen sometimes, the 'wrong' thing can be read in good faith, and it's just a case of suggesting that people stop and think before posting. It's nice to tease the odd tidbit here and there, gets the excitement brewing but if a major spoiler gets dropped into a thread that was otherwise fairly harmless it might be a bit unfair to those who accidentally read it. You don't have to read the thread yes we all get that, but you don't have to post mega-spoilers either - it's just about applying common sense and consideration from both perspectives :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

You don't have to read the thread yes we all get that, but you don't have to post mega-spoilers either - it's just about applying common sense and consideration from both perspectives :)

So we'll hide spoilers when posted and nobody has to read them if they don't want to.
    Exactly as we've been doing since the thread started :)

Not disagreeing with you but at this close to the airing date all people are gonna do is speculate and look for clues everywhere

Post #1 in this thread (from over a month ago)has given what's turning out to be a reasonably accurate synopsis of what's going to happen in the episode.
    Trailers have been posted unspoiled that have given away more than any of the spoiler posts have.

If anybody feels the need to avoid spoilers completely it's time(no pun intended) to stay off the net for the next 6 days.
    There's already rumors that one newspaper's supposed "spoiler free" review leaks a massive detail that will only become clear when you've seen the episode

The Master wrote: »
    So we'll hide spoilers when posted and nobody has to read them if they don't want to.
    Exactly as we've been doing since the thread started :)

Not disagreeing with you but at this close to the airing date all people are gonna do is speculate and look for clues everywhere

I never said anything against speculation, and sure haven't I been posting bits n' bobs here myself? I'm just pointing out that if some newspaper reveals a blow-by-blow account, or some humongous secret from the episode that's best off enjoyed during the episode itself, that people just think before posting it. Yes don't read it blah blah it's been said a million times before, but we're only human and I've seen plenty of threads elsewhere full of people cursing themselves for 'accidentally' reading a piece of grey-spoiler text. There's a middle-ground is all I'm saying that isn't a callous 'serves you right for reading it' - if nothing else it's not exactly a very Christmas'y attitude, is it? :p:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭ebbsy

No point in people complaining about spoilers and then being on the net 24/7.

I personally cannot stop myself, no matter hard I try. But I do not then come on and have a moan about people posting what are essentially guesses.

Who's moaning? I only suggested not posting heavy spoilers IF they even pop up because it might be overkill. The world won't end if it happens and ill still sleep that night; was only a suggestion made in good spirits just on the off chance some clanger turns up, so ill drop it so. Clearly not popular! :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Jaysis lads, you're going on more than the Valeyard...

Who's moaning? I only suggested not posting heavy spoilers IF they even pop up because it might be overkill. The world won't end if it happens and ill still sleep that night, was only a suggestion made in good spirits just on the off chance, so ill drop it so. Yeesh. :)

Go on have a look at the rest of the thread. You know you want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,699 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

In the new trailer does she say The Lord begins a new or The Time War begins a new.. The Time Lord makes sense if there is going to be a reset and Matt is the last Doctor in this set of regenerations.

In the new trailer does she say The Lord begins a new or The Time War begins a new.. The Time Lord makes sense if there is going to be a reset and Matt is the last Doctor in this set of regenerations.
    Time War

• Advertisement

oooooooooooooooo

bluewolf wrote: »
    oooooooooooooooo

You just gave away the whole plot.

Cancel xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I cant sleep im too excited... Ive a few seasons there might sit up all night whoing like mad!!!

I cant sleep im too excited... Ive a few seasons there might sit up all night whoing like mad!!!

I keep reading that as whoring
    sorry
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

AHHHHHHH NEARLY THERE. Just watched the 50th, fell behind on 7 so I've been catching up. Loved the cameo by Baker at the end :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Guys.

You guys.

I don't think I'm ready for this :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Guys.

You guys.

I don't think I'm ready for this :(

Is Matt your first?

Don't worry we've all been there.

I know you don't believe me now but there's plenty more Doctors in the Tardis!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Is Matt your first?

Don't worry we've all been there.

I know you don't believe me now but there's plenty more Doctors in the Tardis!

He's my 2nd. I thought I wouldn't get over Tennent leaving, but I fell in love with Matt in his first 10 seconds.

Could well happen with Capaldi in his first few seconds, but still...

16ktd14.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I'm going to be sorry to see Smith go too; he's been my favourite so far. I may have to go watch season 5 again :(

Advertisement