Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Special - (Spoilers)

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

He's my 2nd. I thought I wouldn't get over Tennent leaving, but I fell in love with Matt in his first 10 seconds.

Could well happen with Capaldi in his first few seconds, but still...

16ktd14.jpg

I know how you feel, but believe me, Matt will be back as sure as Dave was.

If there's one thing I could say the two of them share it's the affection and work ethic they've put in to being the Doctor.

Matt is prob my fave too and I loved him from his first episode- but he's my 8th ish Doctor :o

It's time though. Before the ideas for stories run out and before the character he portrays becomes self parody ("I don't wanna go..."). Now is the right time for him to bow out, I'm sure of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I won't even get to see it tonight, damn you late family dinner. Guess I had well and truly avoid this thread til I do see the episode.

Goodbye Matt, at first I was sceptical, even dismissive, but damnit if you didn't knock it out of the park with your range, timing and total commitment to the role. Capaldi has big shoes to fill ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

I hope smiths regeneration isn't as upsetting as Tennants! Christmas is always a scary time to be a whovian.

I hope smiths regeneration isn't as upsetting as Tennants! Christmas is always a scary time to be a whovian.

Honestly I don't think so.

RTD was patting himself on the back, this Year Moffatt seems to see the bigger picture and this has been a year of celebration so far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

OK, enjoy this everyone!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,051 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Or at least not as long.

Oooooooooooooh. So this is where they're going.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh so far! I don't think I can get through this, love MS, he's the first of the new gen I don't want to go! As a kid each gen was just exciting, but as doubtful as I was of a young unknown actor MS has been amazing, the right mix of zany, serious and awesomeness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I've got something in my eye :o

Gwan Peter :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Well that was emotional

I love him already.

But oh god the feels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The main story..so/so-ish. The actual TARDIS ending, I liked..interesting. Not enough to go on yet though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Same here, could have been Niagara Falls there :)

COME AND GET IT!!!

Much better than "wehhh I don't want to go"
    :cool:
    Main story itself was kinda rubbish though

Capaldi yay :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,126 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah the main story was more interesting than exciting. Lots of unanswered questions answered. The last 15 minutes or so were brilliant though. Good way to get new regenerations, was happy when young Smith was in the Tardis as it meant we'd still get to see the actual regeneration into Capaldi, nice cameo from Amy, and Capaldi was pretty great in his short appearance. Definitely didn't see his last line coming :D

Also, can I please point out:
    Clara: *to the Silence* "Why do I keep forgetting you?!!!"

Interesting.

Oh the sads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

First 20 minutes or so I was interested, story was alright, then it descended into the same old plot-hole ridden, deus ex machina filled rubbish. Because I'm interested in Capaldi this will get one more chance but if that episode is more of the same (which I expect it will be) then I'm done 'til Moffat leaves.

The regeneration was fairly decent. Clara's reaction to Capaldi is the only time she seemed like a real person.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Great stuff, can't wait for Capaldi's run to begin

Agree so so plot besides the regeneration and set up for the new Doc.

Got it right with my Sig and tag line :)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Coldzone

Great cameo by Amy at the end. Was definitely an emotion exit and it is sad to see Matt go.

Next years series if going to be very interesting :)

The Master wrote: »
    Great stuff, can't wait for Capaldi's run to begin

Agree so so plot besides the regeneration and set up for the new Doc.

Got it right with my Sig and tag line :)

Lol yeah, I think I said about 10 times that the Timelords can grant regenerations, I'm not suprised.

I too was hit right in the feels. Nice of Miss Gillan to reprise her role. Also liked the continuity announcer saying "Brave heart".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Didn't think I was attatched to Smith as I was to Tennant, but was tearing up during that final speech, especially when he dropped the bow tie and when Amy appeared.

And loved the sudden jump to Capaldi, and how he didn't know how to fly the Tardis :pac:

Wasn't too crazy about the
    power of love
    resolution,but still, the best regeneration sequence going, right up there with Tom Baker's "It's the end, but the moment has been prepared for". Full of class but with right amount of Matt Smith giving his own personal goodbye.

It was a pretty abrupt, blunt regeneration when it happened. I imagine a bit of a portent of what's to come. If so I am very much looknig forward to what Capaldi is going to do.

Although, it's a
    whole regeneration cycle reboot, provided by the Timelords via the ominous crack, so could this be a whole new Doctor, with amnesia, a la Jon Pertwee on his forced regeneration?

I got a bit moist in the tear ducts when the bow tie came off I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Arrrgh! The heels feels!
    I wasn't fond of Matt at the begining, but he's slowly won me over. The episode itself was good. Plot holes and confusions everywhere but still good. Felt a bit rushed like the 50th. Anyway, I loved the little pre regeneration speech. I think it was honestly 10X better than tenths. It was quick and meaningful. You can even take a little life lesson from it.

Interesting to see how Capaldi goes as twelve. Even more interesting to see how Clara acts towards a new doctor she's never seen. Also seeing as she admitted that she fancied eleven during the ep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

It wasn't quite as heart breaking as 10s goodbye, but still very sad.

I noticed a few stand out things, such as Clara semi remembering the Silence.

Oh, and Tasha was interesting. Note the Doctor kissed her, and the only other person he kissed like that was River, and they did have an odd chemistry. Could she be a regeneration of her?

Only a few seconds of Peter, but I look forward to seeing me of him, plus all the butt hurt complaints about him that will follow.

I love how MS was allowed ( although restricted and off screen) to live out a long long long life as the Dr. The bow tie killed me as did Amelia.
    Although I hate seeing MS go I loved his regen compared the DT, I think by the time DT went it felt like it was dragged out all series, then the regen felt like it took half the episode.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Still not confirmed if it is a full set, the new doc might have to try to get the timelords back to get more regenerations or will spend his time living in fear that this is the last one

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Oh, and Tasha was interesting. Note the Doctor kissed her, and the only other person he kissed like that was River, and they did have an odd chemistry. Could she be a regeneration of her?

And she knew how to fly the tardis and they were a bit blunt about her also being "the psychopath"

bluewolf wrote: »
    And she knew how to fly the tardis and they were a bit blunt about her also being "the psychopath"

And she called him a fatuous egotist....

• Advertisement

Maybe they got her out of the machine into a holo android body something and that's why "she's against ageing"

Advertisement