Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Special - (Spoilers)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

What did we think of
    one second it's Smith, next it's Capaldi
    regeneration?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

flazio wrote: »
    What did we think of
    regeneration?

In fairness it was a slow regeneration according to 11, there was the reset first then the change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

A few points:

- I loved that they brought back Amy without actually bringing back Amy. She has always really been Eleventh's true companion (the first face...) and it is fitting that she was in his memory during the regeneration process. However, any stupid attempt to shoehorn the real Amy back into things especially being expressly stated that she is "lost" to him forever would have been a mistake and I'm glad Moffet didn't make it (**cough**Russell T Davis**Rose**cough).

- The moment Peter Capaldi was announced as the new Doctor, I wanted to know if he'd use his real accent (unlike Tennent). Now I know and I'm delighted!

- I agree that the plot was fairly mediocre and I was concerned that the Matt Smith's fairwell to the series would be under heavy make up but I'm glad he got a proper goodbye speech. I felt his explanation that everyone changes as they get older but we always remember who we were, and regeneration is just an extension of that was really poignant. (I was a much different person in secondary school so that rang true for me). I don't have a problem with Tenth's final line but Eleventh's speech was simply classier, more philosophical and a little more dignified.

- I'm still a little unsure about Clara. I'm unsure if it is the writing or Coleman's portrayal of her, but in a world so fantastical as Doctor Who, she still seems a little unreal and like a character from a pantomime. She is probably my least favorite companion of NuWHo, but I can still enjoy the show. Her relationship with Twelfth will be very interesting though.

- Taking off the bow tie was a killer for me :(

If I was to rate it, 3/5 for the main story and 4.5/5 for the regeneration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,126 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I can't see River spending over 300 years as Tasha Lem and letting herself be killed by Daleks like that (even though she came back).

Besides, we saw her as a child having first escaped from the Silence and Kovarian, then she became a toddler in Manhattan and somehow made it to England to be "raised" as Mels, then regenerated into River, then used up all her regenerations to save the Doctor. I really doubt it's her.

I'd much prefer her to stay as a new character anyway. River was 11's story. Capaldi needs largely new characters and stories. I think it's why I liked Smith so much. The fresh start after Tennant did his tenure wonders.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

PS. The loonies who claimed they saw cracks in the sky in the 50th aren't looking so mental now...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

The Master wrote: »
    Still not confirmed if it is a full set, the new doc might have to try to get the timelords back to get more regenerations or will spend his time living in fear that this is the last one

He said something along the lines of "a whole new cycle!" when he was in the clock tower, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,051 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

flazio wrote: »
    What did we think of
    regeneration?
    I liked it, it made sure that the regeneration wasn't too drawn out *cough* David Tennant *Cough*

Just had another thought; Now that it has been pretty definitely stated by Smith in his little Clarafication that
    The War Doctor counted as a regeneration
    , does this mean that
    Capaldi will be known as the 13th Doctor or Doctor 2.1
    ?

He said something along the lines of "a whole new cycle!" when he was in the clock tower, I think.

No he didn't :)
    He said "were breaking some serious science here" and then my Sig line

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

He said "A whole new cycle" when he was back in the Tardis I though.

uktv-doctor-who-peter-capaldi.jpg

Love the look of confusion, fear, anger....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

PS. The loonies who claimed they saw cracks in the sky in the 50th aren't looking so mental now...

I knew I wasn't mental! I knew what I saw but everyone said I was mad! I expected them to reference it in the x-mas ep since Moffat said that all loose ends would be tied up.

• Advertisement

No he didn't :)
    He said "were breaking some serious science here" and then my Sig line
    Pretty sure he said, when he was in the Tardis saying his last ****ity bye, that because it was "a whole new regeneration cycle" that it took longer, hence why he was restored to his young gorgeous self, and possibly hence the abrupt final change, a big, fat build up of regeneration energy

Also, can I just point how awesome it was that
    the Doctor blew up Daleks with his regeneration energy
    ?!!!!

He said "A whole new cycle" when he was back in the Tardis I though.

uktv-doctor-who-peter-capaldi.jpg

Love the look of confusion, fear, anger....

He said, new kidneys not a new cycle:P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No, Smith said "a whole new cycle".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Matt definitely said something about a whole new cycle

Really dude he said "a whole new cycle".

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Yup new kidneys, we had to rewatch the last bit to hear the dialogue, oh MS's bit? Honestly didn't hear it, must check later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Loved the ending with Amelia, very fitting and right way to do it :)

Also, Weeping Angels can attack under the snow? Naughty angels!!

Overall, plot was good but so-so in parts. How does this affect the time-line or The Great Intelligence?

Loved the way they brought it back to season 5.

New Doctor.....does he blink?

Pretty sure he said, when he was in the Tardis saying his last ****ity bye, that because it was "a whole new regeneration cycle" that it took longer, hence why he was restored to his young gorgeous self, and possibly hence the abrupt final change, a big, fat build up of regeneration energy

Also, can I just point how awesome it was that
    the Doctor blew up Daleks with his regeneration energy
    ?!!!!

Oops, watching out of sequence again. My bad

Was sure he said cycle

No, Smith said "a whole new cycle".

Sorry, as above, said in the tardis not the tower

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

It is a new cycle

That's the next 12 regeneration sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I thought that was going to be better. Tying up loose ends is one thing but for me it was like watching a movie just to see what happens at the end. Moffat had left himself too many loose ends to tie up and ended up having to shoehorn them all in to one episode.

Having said that Smith was excellent.

Really dude he said "a whole new cycle".

Soz Doc ;) was thinking of the alt edit that ended at the tower scene

At times it felt a little bit "11th Doctor...this is your life!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

I'll have to watch it again as i missed a few min as doorbell went, avoided that, until the visitor came to the front window! :mad:

I just happen to see him drop his bowtie & see Karen Gillan say goodbye, i almost dropped to my knees, but it felt like i missed the most important part as i was waiting to see on how the regeneration part would recycle itself, as half the ep is watchable.

There was a few christmas ep on Watch today, but the Next Doctor was the only good one & not soppy like Christmas Carol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

TheDoctor wrote: »
    It is a new cycle

That's the next 12 regeneration sorted

So what are we on now so? 1A?

I'm liking the whole "regenergy as weapon" thing that's happened with the last 2 Doctors.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

A few points:

- I loved that they brought back Amy without actually bringing back Amy. She has always really been Eleventh's true companion (the first face...) and it is fitting that she was in his memory during the regeneration process. However, any stupid attempt to shoehorn the real Amy back into things especially being expressly stated that she is "lost" to him forever would have been a mistake and I'm glad Moffet didn't make it (**cough**Russell T Davis**Rose**cough).

- The moment Peter Capaldi was announced as the new Doctor, I wanted to know if he'd use his real accent (unlike Tennent). Now I know and I'm delighted!

- I agree that the plot was fairly mediocre and I was concerned that the Matt Smith's fairwell to the series would be under heavy make up but I'm glad he got a proper goodbye speech. I felt his explanation that everyone changes as they get older but we always remember who we were, and regeneration is just an extension of that was really poignant. (I was a much different person in secondary school so that rang true for me). I don't have a problem with Tenth's final line but Eleventh's speech was simply classier, more philosophical and a little more dignified.

- I'm still a little unsure about Clara. I'm unsure if it is the writing or Coleman's portrayal of her, but in a world so fantastical as Doctor Who, she still seems a little unreal and like a character from a pantomime. She is probably my least favorite companion of NuWHo, but I can still enjoy the show. Her relationship with Twelfth will be very interesting though.

- Taking off the bow tie was a killer for me :(

If I was to rate it, 3/5 for the main story and 4.5/5 for the regeneration.

I was wondering in the bit where he said I will remember it all is a throw back to the previous special where he was the doctor who forgot or tried to forget.

It was a so so episode. I like Clara (my least favourite was Tate) but we will need to see what here relationship with the new doctor is.

And YES
    Smith did say in both the clock tower and the Tardis a new cycle

Also, another question:
    "DOCTOR WHO?!!" - Whose voice was that? Capaldi? Hurt? A timelord from the Day?

• Advertisement

I'm liking the whole "regenergy as weapon" thing that's happened with the last 2 Doctors.

First time it was actually used as a weapon though.

Last couple of times it just fcuked up the TARDIS.

Advertisement