Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Special - (Spoilers)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,126 ✭✭✭✭Penn

First time it was actually used as a weapon though.

Last couple of times it just fcuked up the TARDIS.

Well it destroyed the Tardis when Tennant regenerated because of the radiation he'd absorbed. It does seem to have a tendancy to make it start crashing though, given Eccleston and now this new regeration

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

So according to Wikipedia, the next Dr. Who in Autumn 2014. Anyone have a spare time machine I could borrow, cheers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Manach wrote: »
    So according to Wikipedia, the next Dr. Who in Autumn 2014. Anyone have a spare time machine I could borrow, cheers.

Rumors of an Easter special if time permits...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Also, another question:
    "DOCTOR WHO?!!" - Whose voice was that? Capaldi? Hurt? A timelord from the Day?
    I did think it was Hurt at first, but the last few times it sounded different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

Manach wrote: »

That point in time is locked, you cant visit it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

Be honest, which parts got you choked up.

1. Handles dying
    2. Clara helping him with the cracker
    3. Raggedy man, goodnight
    4. Matts speech about never forgetting his time as the Doctor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Loved hearing a snippet of the music from the Rings of Akhathen speech during it aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,126 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I could have sworn it was Alexander Armstrong doing the voice of Handles, which I was presuming meant they'd link it to Sarah Jane's computer. Only when I saw the credits I realised it was the Fonejacker guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

All I heard was Malcolm Tucker roaring "How'd you fly this ****ing thing". But I may have had a beer or two on me. Looking forward to a grownup doctor with anger management issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

I didn't like that - it makes it seem that the Capaldi Doctor is a different person.

A bit like Tennant's "I don't want to go" and his trip to see various people before he didn't die.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

All I heard was Malcolm Tucker roaring "How'd you fly this ****ing thing". But I may have had a beer or two on me. Looking forward to a grownup doctor with anger management issues.

I did the same!

It reminded me of

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

1. Handles dying

3 and 4 got me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Richard wrote: »
    I didn't like that - it makes it seem that the Capaldi Doctor is a different person. .

Well, essentially each doctor is a different person. They've all got different appearances and personality traits, but at the heart of it he's the same man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

1. Handles dying

3 & 4, always good to see the Gillan back.
    Penn wrote: »
    I could have sworn it was Alexander Armstrong doing the voice of Handles, which I was presuming meant they'd link it to Sarah Jane's computer. Only when I saw the credits I realised it was the Fonejacker guy.

Here's a crazy fact, the last i heard is the Fonejacker guy was dating Karen Gillan, i think his name's Kayan Novak ;)

Must watch it tomoro to see the bit i missed on regen, maybe it was Clara talking in to the crack asking for help?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

For anyone who wants to cry a few more tears, here is the video of Matts Regen speech.
    I really liked it. I can genuinely take something away from it too which is nice.

http://youtu.be/-XbmbfkTrhI

Sorry I can't embed from phone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

This might have choked me up if I didn't instantly imagine her saying 'Raggedy man, ****ity bye' instead. :P
    Richard wrote: »
    I didn't like that - it makes it seem that the Capaldi Doctor is a different person.

A bit like Tennant's "I don't want to go" and his trip to see various people before he didn't die.

I felt like it aligned some things Moffat has said about the Doctor and Tennant's last scene and conversation with Wilf quite well. Moffat has said more than once 'He is the same man, he's not a different person despite it looking like it' (paraphrasing but along those lines). Obviously Moffat's ideas and RTD's do not need to match but some level of continuity is preferable and I like the idea of it being an extreme version of human life and how we change overtime and become different people on a in mind while remaining the same person in body and identity. That said it does strike a chord with me on a personal level since I feel I've changed hugely in this past year (and not for the first time) so I may view it differently if I had not gone through a recent period of change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

For anyone who wants to cry a few more tears, here is the video of Matts Regen speech.
    I really liked it. I can genuinely take something away from it too which is nice.

Sorry I can't embed from phone!

I'll do it for you!

2jib9c.png

I hadn't even thought of this...

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭SparklersJo

2jib9c.png

There's nothing to say it was Matt Smith buried on Trenzalore though. It could be any (the final) future Doctor buried there.

2jib9c.png

Wibbly Wobbly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

There's nothing to say it was Matt Smith buried on Trenzalore though. It could be any (the final) future Doctor buried there.

Exactly he spent centuries in trenzalore so maybe that is where he decided his final resting place will be

Wibbly Wobbly

That's too big a plot hole for me to right off as wibbly wobbly personally.

Just saw this, fair point.

That's too big a plot hole for me to right off as wibbly wobbly personally.

There's always plot holes in Doctor Who, I just brush them off as it's a kids show at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Interrobang

Ah, jaysus, I'm in a heap after watching that... Didn't think I'd miss Matt Smith's Doctor.

It's quite possible that what he thought was his grave was in fact a memorial erected by the people of Christmas who had come to love him. A mark of respect to the face of the Doctor that they had known, 'the man who stayed for Christmas', once they learned that he had 'gone' rather than the grave of a finally dead, never to be regenerated Doctor.
    But his grave was marked by his actual TARDIS so that's not possible. I'm guessing as others of said it could be another incarnations grave.

But his grave was marked by his actual TARDIS so that's not possible. I'm guessing as others of said it could be another incarnations grave.

Yeah, edited afterwards - too much wine and feels :o). I was expecting to be a bit meh about Matt Smith leaving - I didn't really take to him initially, but he's obviously grown on me without realising it.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭SparklersJo

... he's obviously grown on me without realising it.

I think there's a cream you can get for that

The gorgeous variation when Clara was helping him with the cracker - the music in Doctor Who overall is pretty special, but that was the tipping point for me.

• Advertisement

I think there's a cream you can get for that

Nah, I'll let him be. He's kind of like a pet itch now... I'll only miss him now that he's gone :D

Advertisement