Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting weather diary

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Usual school run, with SI on own bike. No rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Usual school run, with SI on own bike. No rain.

walked to and from work myself the last few mornings. It was the first few mornings in a long time that I was confident that I would be fairly dry and not blown out of it.

You get used to it, but the truth is that there have been very few really lousy mornings.

Usual morning school run, with SI on own bike. No rain during trip. 71 school days since start of this diary.

Usual school run. No precipitation of any consequence. Very light mist for a few minutes, but not enough to show up on IRUSE rainfall stats or ME radar. Left home late. Traffic heavy for no discernible reason.

• Advertisement

Usual school run, by bike. SI looked out the window and said "there's no way I'm cycling in that weather." Very wet, and quite gusty. 4 mm of rain 08:00-09:00 according to IRUSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Slightly damp today, had to turn the wipers onto highest setting, those 12 steps from the car door to work felt very refreshing though.

Trip: 3+4 km school-work commute. Senior Infant on own bike.
    Mode: cycle.
    Weather: gusty and showery morning. Temperature 7-8 degrees, with a fair bit of wind chill.
    Comment: good example of a rain-free 7 km commute on a rainy day. Heavy shower just before departure, but no rainfall during either 3 km cycle to school or 4 km cycle from school to work. Rain lashing the windows as I type.

299513.jpg

299514.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

25 min walk today - had baggage
    Soaked is not the word for it. From 2 mins in until the end. Early lunchtime.
    Not sure if I would have gotten more or less wet on my bike though :)
    Mostly heavy rain, windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Got wet through my coat yesterday for the first time in a long time. Was fine until I turned into the wind and then the wind seemed to drive the rain through, especially around the arms for some reason. Time to get a better coat I guess.

• Advertisement

Trip: school run. Senior Infant on own bike.
    Weather: windy, with light rain.
    Comment: an example of where the commuting experience is not described in the data. Light rain on departure. Some grumbling among the rank and file when setting out, but mood changed to good humour and sense of achievement after brisk 3 km cycle. Enough rain to dampen clothing, started to get more unpleasant on return leg. IRUSE data show no rain, whereas the radar image suggests otherwise. The reality was that the cycle was a bit damp, but the level of rainfall was nothing to write home about (whatever about posting on Boards).

299932.jpg

299933.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Today was fantastic. Strong tailwind going to and coming from work. Bit wet, but I can forgive a lot of rain when the wind plays ball like that!

Usual school run by bike. Beautiful day. Temperature is reportedly around 11 degrees, but it feels warmer. Ice cream on the beach after lunch.

Thanks to time mismanagement it's a cab and a lift day! Beautiful weather though, and traffic not heavy either.

Forgot to mention that traffic was very light.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Mr_A wrote: »
    Today was fantastic. Strong tailwind going to and coming from work. Bit wet, but I can forgive a lot of rain when the wind plays ball like that!

Spare a thought for me who had a strong headwind going to and coming from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭sonandheir

Trip: work commute 22km round trip today.
    Weather: lovely day today, bit of a headwind both ways
    Comment: Been off work and moving house so haven't updated in a few weeks. Drove a fair bit over last few weeks did about 8 days cycle commute with 2 showery commutes. updating my stats accordingly:
    Wet: 3/28= 11%
    Nice: 25/28= 89%
    Deadly: 0/28= 0%

Trip: 3+4 km school-work commute.
    Weather: sunny.

Trip: 3+4 km school-work commute.
    Weather: sunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

sonandheir wrote: »
    Trip: work commute 22km round trip today.
    Weather: lovely day today, bit of a headwind both ways
    Comment: Been off work and moving house so haven't updated in a few weeks. Drove a fair bit over last few weeks did about 8 days cycle commute with 2 showery commutes. updating my stats accordingly:
    Wet: 3/28= 11%
    Nice: 25/28= 89%
    Deadly: 0/28= 0%

oh come on it's this type if rubbish that takes away from this thread.

So basically you cycled on fine days so no "deadly" days except for the days it was too bad to cycle so you drove instead but they don't count as you did not cycle.

• Advertisement

Today, 15-20 mins each way (cycle)
    Out early afternoon. Cloudy but dryish. Traffic medium
    Back Afternoon Raining for whole cycle - not heavy but no waterproofs so got wet.
    Stopped now but very overcast, and have to head out again (with rain jacket!)
    **edit** the heavens JUST opened up. I'll wait a bit! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭sonandheir

oh come on it's this type if rubbish that takes away from this thread.

So basically you cycled on fine days so no "deadly" days except for the days it was too bad to cycle so you drove instead but they don't count as you did not cycle.

I cycle most days. As I mentioned in my post I was moving over last several weeks so wasn't commuting as much. If I drive it's not due to weather (unless it's dangerous weather), so I only count the days in saddle for commuting diary. I defined earlier that a 'deadly' day is a day when weather is too dangerous to cycle, there were a few storms this winter when winds were too high to safely cycle.

Usual school run (SI on own bike unless stated otherwise). No rain. Left home quite late. Roads clear.

Usual school run. No rain. Left home late, but there was still a 1.4 km tailback of near-stationary traffic, for no particular reason that I could see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Love the thread Iwannahurl - it may promote me to cycle more. However I disagree with your first post. Inclement weather here forces me to drive more than cycle my 3km to work. Perhaps my water proof gear is not good enough... Besides I have a 2 and a half year old on the back of the bike to bring to creche.

Quick loop run this lunchtime on bike (10 mins each way)
    Traffic not bad, weather crisp and sunny!

Sniipe wrote: »
    Love the thread Iwannahurl - it may promote me to cycle more. However I disagree with your first post. Inclement weather here forces me to drive more than cycle my 3km to work. Perhaps my water proof gear is not good enough... Besides I have a 2 and a half year old on the back of the bike to bring to creche.

People's circumstances vary, as do their choices. All I can report is my own experience, and the fact that other people doing broadly the same commute on the same day at the same time in the same locality will experience the same weather conditions.

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    People's circumstances vary, as do their choices. All I can report is my own experience, and the fact that other people doing broadly the same commute on the same day at the same time in the same locality will experience the same weather conditions.

We have to constantly keep in mind though the 'lashing for 15 mins in Knocknacarra/dry in Shantalla*' type scenario that is so prevalent in Galway. I think it causes many disagreements on here! :D

* these are just examples of places relatively close that often have different weather over a commute. Insert any names in either spot. Knocknacarra has just as many nice days :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Iontach67

Not so much a weather question as a traffic one. Just how bad is it in the mornings? Google maps tells me a drive from Westwide to Ballybrit would take 16 minutes in current traffic, if I check that in around an hour's time would it give me a similar estimation for 9am?

• Advertisement

inisboffin wrote: »
    We have to constantly keep in mind though the 'lashing for 15 mins in Knocknacarra/dry in Shantalla*' type scenario that is so prevalent in Galway. I think it causes many disagreements on here! :D

* these are just examples of places relatively close that often have different weather over a commute. Insert any names in either spot. Knocknacarra has just as many nice days :p

Exactly. Over time, for every "lashing for 15 mins in Knocknacarra/dry in Shantalla" there will be an equal number of "lashing for 15 mins in Shantalla/dry in Knocknacarra".

Unless there are microclimates in Galway City that I have never heard of, my contention is that anybody from anywhere in the city who keeps a daily weather diary for commutes <= 4km will find that the number of rained-on trips are in a minority.

As far as this thread goes, however, that's still a hypothesis. :)

Advertisement