Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting weather diary

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Had to do a 25 km cross-town trip this morning. No rain on way out, raining on way back. Returned about 08:20, which is supposed to be rush hour. Where's all the traffic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Where's all the traffic?

Mid-Term Break

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

J o e wrote: »
    Mid-Term Break

Yeah, the office here is empty because of all the parents staying home.

On a weather related note, last week the only times I wasn't rained on going to/from work were monday morning and friday evening.

this week Monday is the only totally dry day so far.

antoobrien wrote: »
    Yeah, the office here is empty because of all the parents staying home.

Whatever about your office (and the car park outside?) the roads I was on this morning were comparatively empty. Because the schools are off.

Trip: IWH-OH usual 4 km work commute.
    Mode: cycle.
    Weather: not sure, but I don't think there was any notable rain at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭sonandheir

Trip: work commute 28km round trip Thurs & Fri
    Weather: both days were wet but didn't rain during my commute. Strong wind yesterday blowing off bay, was wrecked tired after it last night.
    Comment:
    Wet: 1/10= 10%
    Nice: 9/10= 90%
    Deadly: 0/10= 0%

• Advertisement

Usual school run. Nice and sunny. No rain.

Left home 10-15 minutes late. Approx 1.4 km tailback of slow-moving traffic, in contrast to the clear roads last week.

56 school days since thread started.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Lundar.

There was a crash on the quincentennial bridge and further on there was a break down as well. beautiful weather for cycling.Really enjoyed my cycle into work.

Trip: Usual school run.
    Weather: generally breezy and showery, but no rainfall for most of journey. 4.2-4.8 mm of rain since midnight, depending on which weather website consulted.
    Comment: Appeared to be raining prior to departure, so Senior Infant declined to cycle own bike. Put on all the raingear, but there was no rain on outward leg and only a brief light shower during last 300 metres of return leg. Seemed to be c. 1.4 km tailback of stationary traffic, apparently due to some sort of holdup further down an adjacent route. Serious weaving needed to get through jam (cars blocking yellow boxes etc). Chorus of car horns behind sounded almost musical.

OH 3+4 km morning school-work run with SI on own bike. No rain.

Usual school run. Lovely sunny morning, no rain. Senior Infant got serious puncture on the way, requiring switch to Plan B. Two motorists stopped and very kindly offered to carry disabled bike! Amazing generosity, I thought.

• Advertisement

Found my tyre flat before the commute home yesterday evening too, two motorists offered me a lift, sound. Was a quick enough fix though and found the offending bit of wire - cycled home in some nice gusty winds.

J o e wrote: »
    found the offending bit of wire

A common enough cause of punctures. I've pulled out bits of wire bent exactly in the shape needed to pierce a bike tyre, almost like a caltrop.

Was just a straight piece and quite short, so found it tricky to get out of the tyre. Will be adding one of these to the saddle bag;

$_1.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭sonandheir

Trip: work commute 28km round trip today. Drove on Mon, Tues, Wed
    Mode: cycle. Car
    Weather: lovely day today
    Comment:
    Wet: 1/12= 8%
    Nice: 11/12= 92%
    Deadly: 0/12= 0%

Usual school run. Lovely sunny morning. SI's bike still in for repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Usual school run. Lovely sunny morning. SI's bike still in for repair.

It was great going to work but a serious non-stop headwind going home.

newkie wrote: »
    It was great going to work but a serious non-stop headwind going home.

More wind = better cardio workout. :)

No school today: off sick. Beautiful day though. Sun shining out of clear blue sky. How was the morning traffic?

Still off sick. No rain yesterday or today, afaik, at school run time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Trip in some showers but mostly dry - nice cycle
    This evening was lashing out of the heavens. Soaked and had no rain gear :(

• Advertisement

I think you live in a dryer parallel universe! Lol! See above.
    Although there was a dry hour in there somewhere! :)

inisboffin wrote: »

And record rainfall for the winter. But apparently not when certain people is on the roads.

Trip in some showers but mostly dry - nice cycle
    This evening was lashing out of the heavens. Soaked and had no rain gear :(
    Iwannahurl wrote:

I should have specified morning school run time in the above post. As we all know very well, and has been pointed out in this thread and elsewhere more than once, the morning school run is THE time for high traffic volumes. Therefore the weather during the morning commute is of particular interest.

And record rainfall for the winter. But apparently not when certain people is on the roads.

Precisely. Even during a period of record rainfall, it is still possible to cycle or walk to work or school without getting rained on.

To repeat the OP, yet again:
    While rain is clearly a feature of Galway life throughout the year, it is still possible to walk or cycle a reasonable distance to work or school without being soaked on a regular or frequent basis.

This is feasible with appropriate waterproof gear and where commuting distance is short, eg 4 km or less for cycling, or up to 2 km for walking.

Rain is hammering on the windows as I type. But so what? We're still off sick, but at the time we would have been doing the school run this morning it was not raining at all. The IRUSE chart is below. The data don't lie, and I don't either.

64 school days since the beginning of this thread. No school commute due to sickness, but OH cycled 4km to work as usual. No rain during work commute. Again. Is that a record? No, it's normal.

297297.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

There was a heavy mist in town this morning as I walked from college to work at 8am. Rotten so it was.

Precisely. Even during a period of record rainfall, it is still possible to cycle or walk to work or school without getting rained on.

It's amazing the amount of days you report no rain/fail to report rain that other people get rained on.

Such as yesterday evening.

Enjoy that alternative reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

It's amazing the amount of days you report no rain/fail to report rain that other people get rained on.

Such as yesterday evening.

Enjoy that alternative reality.

On the other hand- you seem to have reported dry weather only once in this thread unless I missed posts in a quick search, and even that was on the context of most of the week being wet.

Your wouldn't happen to be related to Rob McKenna by any chance? :P

Mr_A wrote: »
    On the other hand- you seem to have reported dry weather only once in this thread unless I missed posts in a quick search, and even that was on the context of most of the week being wet.

If it's already been reported as dry is there a need to reaffirm that report?

I will submit experiences that differ from other posters in order to give a more accurate reporting of the actual weather conditions on the roads.

But then when the recent storms aren't enough to keep some people off their bikes, should we be expecting rational discussion?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

As it happens i do night shifts and usually make my way home between 08.00 and 09.00, i feel quite lucky to rarely ever get rained upon.. However at approx 05.00 it seems to be raining frequently.. I have no idea why that is though..

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

But then when the recent storms aren't enough to keep some people off their bikes, should we be expecting rational discussion?

I judged that the conditions at the time were OK for cycling, based on being outside standing in them and exercised more than normal caution and was fine. Even during the storms the conditions are not constant.

• Advertisement

Yeah my commutes are not 'regular' times as in morning school run generally.
    I do notice posts of 'dry' when I have experienced rain. I generally don't bother posting but yesterday there was such a notable difference I posted. It was a light hearted post about a parallel universe as yeah I'm well aware how changeable the weather is in Galway! :)
    However many of us have odd commutes, and just like odd sleeping hours, sometimes feel hard done by when not 'counted', and if someone was looking back at a thread, might think it never rains!
    Length of commute is totally a factor too. I might have a week of lots of small trips depending on what I'm up to.

Advertisement