Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average Founder / Owner Salary in Web Development / Marketing Agency

Options
  • 18-11-2013 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I have been wondering about this - what would the average salary of a founder or owner of a web design or marketing agency in Dublin look like? I know that developer and marketer salaries would range from between 25k - 45k and upwards, but what kind of take-home pay would the founder / managing director be on?

There are tonnes of web design and marketing agencies all around Dublin, and even if competition is tough they must be doing ok?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

For the founder it is going to completely be down to how the company do you can't go paying yourself if you don't have any money so I would say the take home for the founder would be anywhere from €0 to €1,000,000 its not like they have a fixed salary it just doesn't work like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

the bit that is left over is for you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

Yep I know that a fixed salary would be a pipe dream and that you have to pay everyone else, and Peter is no doubt completely right too!! I definitely know that for a fact.

However I am more looking for ballpark figures, I know it is 'how long is a piece of string' pretty much, but if you had to pick a range for a small-medium size agency, what would it be.

For example, closer to 20k, 40k, 60k, or 60k+ for an agency owner with maybe 5-10 employees.

Its impossible to put a number on it. I would imagine that they will be happy to just take home an amount they can live off to start with much the same as any entrepreneur. Its purely down to income staffing numbers is pretty irrelevant you could be a one many show and be bringing in €250k or you could have 10 employees and have the same income and be paying them all of it.

I would imagine the average amongst companies that have been in business for 5+ years and have 10+ employees and have a less than 10% chance of going bust in the next 5 years is €50k-€70k.

jimmii wrote: »
    Its impossible to put a number on it. I would imagine that they will be happy to just take home an amount they can live off to start with much the same as any entrepreneur. Its purely down to income staffing numbers is pretty irrelevant you could be a one many show and be bringing in €250k or you could have 10 employees and have the same income and be paying them all of it.

I would imagine the average amongst companies that have been in business for 5+ years and have 10+ employees and have a less than 10% chance of going bust in the next 5 years is €50k-€70k.

That'd be my guess too. I suppose it's no more than you'd be getting in a normal job, minus any bonus, pension, benefits, perks, holiday pay, etc...!

Interested to hear more opinions too.

• Advertisement

riveratom wrote: »
    That'd be my guess too. I suppose it's no more than you'd be getting in a normal job, minus any bonus, pension, benefits, perks, holiday pay, etc...!

Interested to hear more opinions too.

Yeh pretty much! The upside is obviously that you are the one to really benefit if one of the big boys comes sniffing or your company really takes off. If you are starting a business because you want to be loaded then you probably aren't going to enjoy it much at least not initially. I just love what I do even if I don't make much money out of it! I use to get so tired working 40 hours a week for someone else now I do way more than that and love every second of it and after a day off can't wait to get back that is the real reward of working for yourself you have a happier life.

jimmii wrote: »
    Yeh pretty much! The upside is obviously that you are the one to really benefit if one of the big boys comes sniffing or your company really takes off. If you are starting a business because you want to be loaded then you probably aren't going to enjoy it much at least not initially. I just love what I do even if I don't make much money out of it! I use to get so tired working 40 hours a week for someone else now I do way more than that and love every second of it and after a day off can't wait to get back that is the real reward of working for yourself you have a happier life.

True indeed. I guess it depends on your circumstances too, and what stage you are at in life. All fine and well being your own boss but you have to earn reasonable money too!

riveratom wrote: »
    True indeed. I guess it depends on your circumstances too, and what stage you are at in life. All fine and well being your own boss but you have to earn reasonable money too!

Yeh for sure. No point busting your balls and still not be able to afford to pay the bills! I was really lucky we were running and operating profit after 3 months which certainly makes it easier!

Advertisement