Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling with an ESTA and Visa

Options
  • 18-11-2013 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Wondering if anyone can help me with this query. My colleague travels to the US for business regularly so has a valid esta approval which wont expire for some time. However he has since been granted a 5 year visa. He is travelling to the US in the next couple of days, does he need to cancel his esta because he has the new visa or can he travel with both until the esta expires??

And if the esta needs to be cancelled... does anyone know how this can be done?

Any help appreciated!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

No need to cancel ESTA, but he won;t be using it. A visa trumps ESTA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

silja wrote: »
    No need to cancel ESTA, but he won;t be using it. A visa trumps ESTA.

I had a strange thing happen when I was coming back into the US from Canada (with my L1) a few weeks ago. The guy at CBP asked me which I wanted to enter on, my visa or (still current ESTA).

I suppose the only time that could be relevant is if say I quit my job and left the US - the visa is still technically valid, though not in use.

Advertisement