Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irelandcustomrifle / Fergal White

Options
  • 18-11-2013 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

OK - so I understand that Fergal has plenty of fans on here... it was actually on account of this that I gave him my rifle to sort out there last May or thereabouts - and I'm not out to cast any aspersions about his character, but I am getting a little distressed at this point by the fact that I can't contact him.

Now I know there's personal circumstances involved but at this stage it's getting inexcusable.

I had a Detective from Athlone Garda Station call me there before the weekend to inform me that he had my rifle, along with several others, in the station, and requesting that I come down and collect it.

This I duely did and found my rifle without its bolt, scope or scope mount, and with a considerable chunk taken out of the comb of the stock. Now this rifle is 81years old so it's no oil painting to begin with but it's coming back to me in worse condition than it was when it was left in!

I subsequently rang the house (as the mobile was disconnected a LONG time back) and left a message with herself. I got a call back from what I assume was his sister and was promised that he would ring me the following day and would root out and post on the parts - needless to say, no joy.

At this stage all I want is my bits back - I don't even care about the deposit I gave him on the work to be done - so I'm hoping that those who know him on here can have a slightly less than quite word in his ear to sort this out.

I can be contacted here by PM.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Jerrystevens

try here he was working there the other week , you are not alone,there are lots of lads trying to contact him from what i hear

Mulvihill Firearms
    GUNSMITHS
    Phone: 0906432245
    Address: BALLYMAHON, LONGFORD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Just tried that number there now and got the mobile number for David who appears to be the main man in that operation. The mobile rang out but I'll try it again later.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

try here he was working there the other week , you are not alone,there are lots of lads trying to contact him from what i hear

Mulvihill Firearms
    GUNSMITHS
    Phone: 0906432245
    Address: BALLYMAHON, LONGFORD

HATE this ****,seems too be a trait with most RFD's in this country,get your money and wont answer phone afterwards:mad:

Right so Dave rang me back yesterday evening and I asked him to get on to Fergal for me - will give it a few days and see what happens now so.

that's awful poor form in fairness, imagine if it was worth a few grand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭td5

I left a rifle with Mr White back in june. Only found out there was a problem through this forum. After several anxious weeks I finally got my rifle back from Gards in Athlone. Minus the bolt. It took another 3 weeks to get bolt and in all that time he never once spoke to me about it. I also paid a deposit. No sign of getting it back. I wonder just how many have fallen victim to this guy ?

Got an email from him this morning, he had the scope and mount for me and is posting them on but reckons the bolt never left the rifle.

Have been back in touch with Athlone GS and they say they have one bolt there but I don't get the impression it's my one from talking to them... the saga continues.

If the bolt is gone then the rifle is finished - there's next to no chance of getting a replacement. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kinzig

He certainly offered a customised service..you wouldnt get that nowhere else in the world:pac:

Kinzig wrote: »
    He certainly offered a customised service..you wouldnt get that nowhere else in the world:pac:

:D:D:D:D:D:D:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

@OP - what is your rifle that you will never find a bolt for it?

Maybe I can help?

tac

• Advertisement

pm sent tac.

Thanks, taz - I've acted on your information. The multi-site readership I've addressed includes around 100,000 readers, some of whom may be able to help you. I'll keep you posted with anything I find, 'kay?

tac

yer a gent!

Don't get your hopes up, Sir - the NEWEST of these little rifles was made back in 1937...Numrich - THE spares people over in the USA - has no stock of any bolt parts at al.

I'm hoping that one of the readers on the other fora I scribble on might have a bitsa to cannibalise.

tac

Yeah, that much I was aware of - 5 year production run and only ~160000 built over that time.
    Like I said, she's a rare beast and with a unique chambering mechanism to boot so there isn't even any chance of cross compatible parts.

My pal Bion is going over to to a gunshow at Lansing tomorrow, says it will be an excuse to prowl the tables....

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

What rifle is it ? I am a member on a few of the classic rifle forums based in america and could ask if i knew what it was.
    Where is fergal white ? I'd find him and quiz him as to where the bolt is.

rowa wrote: »
    What rifle is it ? I am a member on a few of the classic rifle forums based in america and could ask if i knew what it was.
    Where is fergal white ? I'd find him and quiz him as to where the bolt is.

Do more than quiz him:(

Nicely spotted sir.
    That might be the best solution at this stage.

With regard to contacting him, I have done and (thankfully) he has responded, but this might just incentivise the effort to get things resolved alright.

I'll get in touch with Dave Mulvihill about getting that one imported.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

This might be a better option for you Extremetaz.

I just got a phone call from Jim Griffin of the tackle shop in Rahan, Tullamore. He seen this thread, and has the exact same rifle in his shop. He said if you contact him and have a chat he might be able to help you out with your situation.

His number is 0579355979

I can pass n his mobile via PM if you need it. It'll save you buying one in, and having to go through the trouble on importing, etc.

Give him a buzz and let us know how you get on.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass you are an absolute superstar!!

Just off the phone with him - heading over to him later this evening.

And they say being a hoarder is a bad thing :D .

I'd like to take credit, but i just passed on the message. Fair play to Jim for seeing the thread, and calling me. Hope ye get sorted lad. Let me know how you do get on.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Cass wrote: »
    And they say being a hoarder is a bad thing :D .

I'd like to take credit, but i just passed on the message. Fair play to Jim for seeing the thread, and calling me. Hope ye get sorted lad. Let me know how you do get on.

I think that's, being a whore, is a bad thing... ;)

Fair play to Jim and Cass, great to see a bit of unity and I hope it's a happy ending for you Taz, my heart went out to ya!

Got back from Jim's there about 2 hours ago. He had a 137xxx serial model so probably the last production year. Mine is a first production year piece but the bolt fits and operates perfectly.

As an added bonus his one also had the original loading arm, intact, and in perfect nick - the one in mine was replaced with a homemade part about 20 years ago so I swapped those out as well; and the original rear sight - which is just your average rear sight blade with the stepped riser, but it's nice that it's aged to match the barrel so it doesn't look out of place like a new one would.

Got a spare stock in the deal too - it appear to be beech or some other softwood as opposed to the one on mine which has a far tighter grain. Mine is split though and needs some attention so no harm to have the option to swap it out if required.

All that remains to be done now is test fire it, so I'll do that when I'm zeroing in the new rearsight tomorrow.

Jim himself is an absolute gent - couldn't say enough good things about him. I actually mentioned that I was still awaiting the return of the old weaver scope and the mount... he walks over behind a counter and pulls out the EXACT scope and mount in better condition than mine!!

Mega thanks to everyone on the thread here - it's an old rifle, it was never an expensive rifle, and in monetary terms it's little more than junk - but I actually went looking through Dave Mulvihill's stock earlier today, and the lads in Outdoorsports in Mullingar (before I spotted Cass's reply on this thread), and there wasn't anything that I'd have felt inclined to replace it with at any price.

I'm delighted to have it back!

You know Christmas is not for another 4 - 5 weeks. :D

Sounds like you not only got what you needed, but some other good stuff on top of that.

I've known Jim now for some 14 years. It never fails to amaze me how he can put his hand on something that the main importers cannot get, either as quick or at all, or something that was produced some 100 years ago. Gas man.

Still you're sorted, and more to the point, happy with what you got. I know the feeling when you "make do". Still you're sorted and that's what counts.

lol - y'know it's funny you put it that way because if it had come to Christmas morning and I had unwrapped that bundle of parts I'd have been over the moon!! :D

Its a shame it had to happen though, another rifle had to be sacrificed when it was unnecessary. A bit of carelessness leads to a load of trouble for someone else. Alls well that ends well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Well done fair play. At least you got sorted. Sometimes set backs leads us down a path that ends up better than we a expected.

Don't know if it makes a difference but beech is actually a hard wood.

• Advertisement

Don't know if it makes a difference but beech is actually a hard wood.

That I didn't know. Might throw up pics of both stocks and see if anyone can tell me what either of them is actually made of - haven't got a clue myself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement