Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irelandcustomrifle / Fergal White

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

My investigation notes that the economy range of guns from Remington at this time used American beech. It can easily be determined by the grain pattern and general density from walnut used on higher-end guns.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Well the original stock on mine has a very tight grain and a dark colour - the stock that was on the donor rifle is a far paler colour and has as much as 3-4mm between the grains.

So that would likely constitute Walnut and Beech respectively then yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Your donor rifle is likely beech.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Cavan duck buster

Well after reading this thread i too have fallin victim to Fergal White, he wanted my money up front to glass bed my rifle, he kept on putting off the work, i traveled to athlone to get it back off him and he said he was starting it now, then 2weeks later collected my gun in the garda station in Athlone to find 1 bid dirty dent in the rifle. Got onto him and he's blaming the gards for their handling but that was not the case and he's refusing to give back my money....
    What can be do to get him???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Jerrystevens

Well after reading this thread i too have fallin victim to Fergal White, he wanted my money up front to glass bed my rifle, he kept on putting off the work, i traveled to athlone to get it back off him and he said he was starting it now, then 2weeks later collected my gun in the garda station in Athlone to find 1 bid dirty dent in the rifle. Got onto him and he's blaming the gards for their handling but that was not the case and he's refusing to give back my money....
    What can be do to get him???

so you now have a rifle that's damaged and the work that you paid for has not been done :confused:and he's refusing to refund you :eek:
    i think a chat to your solicitor would be the best course of action at this point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭td5

Join the club there are quite a number of guys in the same boat as you Cavan Duck Buster. Has anyone got a Contact No. for F W ?

td5 wrote: »
    Join the club there are quite a number of guys in the same boat as you Cavan Duck Buster. Has anyone got a Contact No. for F W ?

For what i know dave mulivihil is taking his complaints

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

so you now have a rifle that's damaged and the work that you paid for has not been done :confused:and he's refusing to refund you :eek:
    i think a chat to your solicitor would be the best course of action at this point

Small claims court

Well whoever he is working for should be boycotted, instead of supporting him they should be supporting the shooters he has screwed :(

Small claims court

That was what i was thinking but he's offering to glass bed my rifle still but i don't want to give him another bit of my property incase it ends up as wood chips, he told me i have no case as he's offering the work...
    Do ya's think i could win in the S.C.C???

• Advertisement

That was what i was thinking but he's offering to glass bed my rifle still but i don't want to give that fuc@ker another bit of my properity incase it ends up as wood chips, he told me i have no case as he's offering the work...
    Do ya's think i could win in the S.C.C???

It only cost a couple of euro,and with all the complaints on here as proof, and bad publicity no-one should touch him again or support the person he is working for

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Brave man.....

In saying that I don't think a boycott of any business at this time would be helpful to be honest, there are not that many RFD's about to start with, without adding to their woes.

One person who has come out of this mess looking good though is Jim Griffin, after my Blaser saga is over he will certainly be getting a phone call about a Oberndorf sporting Mauser to see what he can come up with.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Lads two things here.

• You are free to voice your disgust and treatment as long as it's yours and it's kept to the treatment, service, lack of service, etc. you received. Do not resort to name calling as it'll only be deleted, and your point will not get put across.
    • DO NOT attempt to give legal advice, and please don't ask for it. If someone were to initiate legal action based the say so of a poster and loose it leaves us in a difficult position. As such there is a site wide rule against giving legal advice to others. It's not tolerated.

The above are site rules and for your protection not Mr. White's. If anyone would like to discuss it in more detail feel free to PM me.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Reminded of this thread. What an apt thread title since things are gone 180.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78689925

Hope poor old Pete Moore didn't get burned too:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭wildcatares22

Well whoever he is working for should be boycotted, instead of supporting him they should be supporting the shooters he has screwed :(

I don't think that would solve anything, and not proper treatment for an obliging and decent RFD like dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MarkWolff

I don't think that would solve anything, and not proper treatment for an obliging and decent RFD like dave.

The Mulvihills are absolute gentlemen, I can tell you that their involvement will only help gun owners trying to resolve matters with Mr.White.
    Can you imagine if there was no third party dealer involved?, there would be NO chance of getting your guns back soon ...or at all for that matter.
    Can you imagine trying to get to them from Garda storage ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭wildcatares22

MarkWolff wrote: »
    The Mulvihills are absolute gentlemen, I can tell you that their involvement will only help gun owners trying to resolve matters with Mr.White.
    Can you imagine if there was no third party dealer involved?, there would be NO chance of getting your guns back soon ...or at all for that matter.
    Can you imagine trying to get to them from Garda storage ?

exactly, no point in alienating dave for standing by a friend.

dave would no doubt like to see some sort of solution to the whole situation.

it is a regrettable situation for the customers in the whole deal and hopefully all will be settled before things go too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭customrifle

Hi lads, before I go any further I just want to clarify that I don't want to cause any friction by comments I'm about to make.
    I've known Fergal for few years now and always found him helpful and obliging, he took care of me and others and didn't take much or anything for some jobs. I know when you pay for a job you expect it to be done and Fergal is a decent fella of good nature so I'm sure anyone who paid money will get their job done. There is a human story here too, the mans marriage is after breaking down. I'm in the same boat as few of you there were few bits in shop outstanding belonging to me. I'm sure when the man finds his feet he will take care of whoever he owes.
    Again I was merely voicing my opinion and don't want to cause row. I hope whoever is owed something gets sorted.
    ATB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

As of the latter end of last week, Dave's been unable to contact him either. Phone not being answered etc...

I got Dave to deal with him for me so I suspect that may be part of the reason.
    The Aussie wrote: »
    One person who has come out of this mess looking good though is Jim Griffin,

Complete gent!
    MarkWolff wrote: »

Second that - Dave was entirely accomodating to me and genuinely tried to help me out as much as he could. I'd have absolutely no qualms about dealing with him whatsoever.

...I've known Fergal for few years now and always found him helpful and obliging ... There is a human story here too...

From my initial meeting with Fergal I've no doubt that his intentions are good and there's no disputing that he's going though a tough patch at the moment and I do sympathise which is why (I feel at least) I've been far more than gracious under the circumstances - however, whilst I've no doubt that the man is, under normal circumstances, a gentleman and a great friend to those around him, and whilst I can understand and applaud the desire to support him, the way he's dealing with *customers* is doing his reputation a great deal of damage.

It's going to take one hell of a effort on his part to sort this all out, and I fear that if he doesn't get some sort of movement on it soon, then there are folk who WILL go the legal route with him, which given his apparent current mental state, can only lead to a progression farther down the spiral.

To those who do call themselves his friends I fear it's getting to the point where you may have to get proactive in getting him back on track - for his own sake. From what I've picked up, he burning a lot of bridges among his friends as well so whatever is going on it's up to those who remain to figure out what he needs in order to snap out of it and see that he gets it (he's had time and support for quite a while already I assume so if I might be so bold, I might suggest distraction and/or councelling at this stage).

I'm no psychologist but I've seen and dealt with depression in family and friends in the past - this smacks an awful lot of it - and the longer it goes on the harder it is to get over.

I'll promise you this - he'll know exactly who his real friends are by the time this is all over.

In the meantime, to those with work outstanding, if you have the time to wait, I might suggest a bit more carrot and a lot less stick. The responses I received from him I got from appropriately polite request/inquiry rather than stern demand.

Just to clearifly that I'm not bad mouthing dave, I'm just saying that he is handling fergals calls/complaints as unfinished work is being done in their by Fergal.

• Advertisement

I have refrained from posting, other than to help out extremetaz, as i dislike the idea of airing dirty laundry in public or discussing personal issues of other people, and i don't intend to break philosophy that now. However based on the posts above i thought i'd add my 2 cents while keeping on topic.

I've known him for years, and other than considering myself his good friend, i was one of his strongest adovcates sending dozens off lads his way, visiting for a chat/support, helping him out when & where i could, and providing him with my own business. All that changed in the last 12 months so, while the issue with lads and their rifles is recent, it is a culmination of a series of events over the last 12 months that has him in this position. I seen the signs, and offered/provided support, but was turned on. So while friends are important what can be done when they are betrayed and pushed away?

This thread, like the other threads (such as this one, or this one) were started because people could not contact him or more importantly find out where their guns were. It took a phone call from Athlone Garda Station for people to find out their guns were not only untouched/unfinished, but no longer in his possession. There were no calls, contact, notices, etc. given to these lads. Then they were instructed to contact Dave and when they did they were told their guns were not with him, but also in Athlone Garda station. So lads being annoyed is perfectly understandable.

Now ask yourself this. After all this messing around, problems, and hassle, what confidence can people have in returning their guns to the same person that let them down. There is always going to be the issue off "Will it get done", "When will it get done", "Will the same thing happen again". People are nervous and simply want their gun and money back. However on guns were no work was started there is no offer of refunds according to the posts above, and people that have contacted me outside of Boards.

I am known to have been close to him so i received many calls, texts, e-mails, from people asking could i make contact with him from over 6 months ago. I could not help them unfortunately. So while his split is unfortunate it occurred months after the initial problems lads were having. While i understand such splits do not happen "overnight" if there were signs of problems a call to your customers to inform them of possible or definite delays should have been in order at some point.

As i've said at the start of this post i will not start some rant or bitching session here. It's neither appropriate nor needed. I'm also not out to kick someone when they are down, regardless of personal opinions, but his current situation can only explain away a very small portion of the grief some lads have experienced, and none of the rest of what others have.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Jerrystevens

Cass wrote: »
    I have refrained from posting, other than to help out extremetaz, as i dislike the idea of airing dirty laundry in public or discussing personal issues of other people, and i don't intend to break philosophy that now. However based on the posts above i thought i'd add my 2 cents while keeping on topic.

I've known him for years, and other than considering myself his good friend, i was one of his strongest adovcates sending dozens off lads his way, visiting for a chat/support, helping him out when & where i could, and providing him with my own business. All that changed in the last 12 months so, while the issue with lads and their rifles is recent, it is a culmination of a series of events over the last 12 months that has him in this position. I seen the signs, and offered/provided support, but was turned on. So while friends are important what can be done when they are betrayed and pushed away?

This thread, like the other threads (such as this one, or this one) were started because people could not contact him or more importantly find out where their guns were. It took a phone call from Athlone Garda Station for people to find out their guns were not only untouched/unfinished, but no longer in his possession. There were no calls, contact, notices, etc. given to these lads. Then they were instructed to contact Dave and when they did they were told their guns were not with him, but also in Athlone Garda station. So lads being annoyed is perfectly understandable.

Now ask yourself this. After all this messing around, problems, and hassle, what confidence can people have in returning their guns to the same person that let them down. There is always going to be the issue off "Will it get done", "When will it get done", "Will the same thing happen again". People are nervous and simply want their gun and money back. However on guns were no work was started there is no offer of refunds according to the posts above, and people that have contacted me outside of Boards.

I am known to have been close to him so i received many calls, texts, e-mails, from people asking could i make contact with him from over 6 months ago. I could not help them unfortunately. So while his split is unfortunate it occurred months after the initial problems lads were having. While i understand such splits do not happen "overnight" if there were signs of problems a call to your customers to inform them of possible or definite delays should have been in order at some point.

As i've said at the start of this post i will not start some rant or bitching session here. It's neither appropriate nor needed. I'm also not out to kick someone when they are down, regardless of personal opinions, but his current situation can only explain away a very small portion of the grief some lads have experienced, and none of the rest of what others have.

ouch et tu brute :eek:

From the day i met him, and even to this day, i've said he is a genius when it comes to rifle building. That has not changed. I still think that. Regardless of what others say, and the derogatory comments they have used over the years towards him. Comments that i have defended him against, and still do.

I also did not get personal. This is not the place for it, and as said above i'm not into airing any personal issues. I have simply re-iterated the sentiment, and comments of others coupled with my own experience. I am sorry to hear of their split. I know both of them very well, and they are good, genuine people.

However months prior to these issues coming to light (back in May) lads were contacting me to get in touch with him, and trying to contact him directly. Then this was posted in September on another thread when someone was trying to contact him, but failed:
    Hi all,
    I was talking to fergal White today and he asked me to post this.
    Due to an amicable split between mr and mrs White , fergal will not be open for business for a short period. He is also not at his home address.All customers that have rifles with fergal should contact Dave Mullvihill,RFD, in ballymahon.
    Fergal wants to reassure all customers that their rifles etc will be completed and delivered very shortly and apologised for any inconvenence caused.
    One person that had previously contacted me rang me back saying they had made contact with Dave, but his rifle was not there. Then he got the call from the Gardaí in Athlone. Now 2 months later lads are still trying to get sorted as is evident from this thread. All down to the lack of contact. Lads are more than protective of their guns. Not only from a maintenance point of view, but from knowing where they are, and how they are being treated. So asking them to hand them back over is a bit much. I know if i got that grief from anyone i'd be the same.

Lastly if you know me, as your comment implies, then by all means contact me via PM and feel free to discuss it as you wish.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement