Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North face returns.

Options
  • 18-11-2013 12:41pm

Hi All,

I am having an issue with a north face jacket I bought from the North face store in Kildare.

The jacket was bought 2 years ago, I decided to spend the money to get a good jacket because I am in the mountains a lot and need “good” gear. It is a GorTex seven summits jacket and when bought was 100% water proof even with all the rain we get here in the Irish mountains.

Problem is that now only after 2 years it is not water proof anymore, I get wet through to the fleece layer. There is also another issue with the hood where the wire it protruding from the peak of the hood and I even cut my finger on is putting it up one day.
    I do not have the receipt from the store anymore so I am not sure what my rights are. Spending so much money on a jacket should mean that I get one that last longer than 2 years and is fit for purpose.

Can anyone advise me on the course of action I should take. I have emailed north face but having read their website I think they will just tell me to take it back to the store I bought it in. I’m guessing that if I talk to the store that they will ask for the receipt and without it they cannot do anything.

Do I have any rights in my situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Hi All,

I am having an issue with a north face jacket I bought from the North face store in Kildare.

The jacket was bought 2 years ago, I decided to spend the money to get a good jacket because I am in the mountains a lot and need “good” gear. It is a GorTex seven summits jacket and when bought was 100% water proof even with all the rain we get here in the Irish mountains.

Problem is that now only after 2 years it is not water proof anymore, I get wet through to the fleece layer. There is also another issue with the hood where the wire it protruding from the peak of the hood and I even cut my finger on is putting it up one day.
    I do not have the receipt from the store anymore so I am not sure what my rights are. Spending so much money on a jacket should mean that I get one that last longer than 2 years and is fit for purpose.

Can anyone advise me on the course of action I should take. I have emailed north face but having read their website I think they will just tell me to take it back to the store I bought it in. I’m guessing that if I talk to the store that they will ask for the receipt and without it they cannot do anything.

Do I have any rights in my situation?

AFAIK, you can buy some stuff for spraying on North Face jackets to make it water proof again. I bought one recently from a shop in Tralee and they were telling me about it. I'm not sure if I'm allowed mention the shop on here so PM me if you want their details to give them a call. I can't remember the name of the product unfortunately.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    AFAIK, you can buy some stuff for spraying on North Face jackets to make it water proof again. I bought one recently from a shop in Tralee and they were telling me about it. I'm not sure if I'm allowed mention the shop on here so PM me if you want their details to give them a call. I can't remember the name of the product unfortunately.

How long did you have your jacket before you needed to spray it. Im aware of this spray but I think a expensive jack like theirs should last longer than 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

How long did you have your jacket before you needed to spray it. Im aware of this spray but I think a expensive jack like theirs should last longer than 2 years.

Only just got it so I haven't needed to. My understanding is that it is the coating on the material that makes it waterproof rather than the material itself so naturally this will wear off eventually after repeated washing and rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

It's been a long time since I was buying this type of thing but I'm almost sure the coatings need to be refreshed from time to time.

At this stage you won't be entitled to a full replacement and if you've not maintained the jacket properly there could be an argument you're not entitled to anything. The shop should probably offer a repair on the hood.

Realistically from a customer services point of view a shop should be willing to help without a receipt, even if that is just offering advice on maintaining your gear. A bank statement or credit card statement will be enough for proof of purchase but I think you might be pushing it with a two year old jacket. That said it will depend on use.

I'm not the person to advise you really but back in the day the lads I knew (mainly RAF VRT guys into adventure training) always advised spending as little as possible on kit and only buying what you needed as you are going to wear it out/lose it/damage it etc. I don't really know if buying very expensive gear is the way to go. I know for sailing you only buy what you need as you have to chuck it every so often.

Digression aside - if you don't get any joy from the retailer find proof of purchase and take it to small claims court and let a third party decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Phil_the_Dub

xxyyzz wrote: »

Hi All,

First time post. Nikwax do a good wash in re-waterproof which is good for Gortex.

• Advertisement

Hi All,

First time post. Nikwax do a good wash in re-waterproof which is good for Gortex.

Hi All,

Just read this online, it all makes sence to me now.

"The DWR is a Durable Water Repellent which is applied to the face fabric (outside) of the jacket, and designed to stop the jacket becoming saturated, and therefore, heavy & wet (which then makes you colder and stops moisture escaping from the inside of the jacket)...you can see this on a new jacket by flicking some water at it. It 'beads' and can easily be shaken off. The DWR is not designed to last as long as the actual 'waterproof' part of the jacket, and on an old or dirty jacket you may notice that water doesn't 'bead' any longer, but simply soaks in....this affects the breathability!
    Over time, dirt from the environment and oils from sweat will 'clog' the fabric, and the DWR will degrade. All these issues lead to a drop in breathability (not how waterproof the jacket is) which can make it feel like the jacket is leaking, when really it's not."

So like you said Phil, Ill just use the wax to reproof it and see it that works

Advertisement