Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

have to move cos rent too high, anyone know of city centre landlords?

• 18-11-2013 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I live in the city centre because i don't drive and i need to be close to things like tesco etc. I'm a quiet person and i need to live on my own, i don't think a house share would suit me at all, actually i would go nuts :-) I also have a lot of stuff. (I'm in my mid thirties).

I've just been given marching orders because my rent is too high for the new rent allowance cut offs. I don't want to move at all :-(

Is there anyone living in town who might pm me a number of a landlord who has places? I really don't know what to do, there is nothing at all on daft under these new limits!!! The max i can pay is €375 alone (€200 sharing but i can't really share...)

Any tips or hints appreciated, i'm having a panic attack cos christmas coming up, don't have a car, have to move, plus i own things like the freezer and the dishwasher in my current place! so much hassle! I'm in the middle of college too aaagh! :eek::eek:

Thanks in advance boardsies x x x x x

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭power101

There is no where in the city centre for that low an amount. Minimum would be 500 in mount kenneth. Are you able to add anything to the amount yourself?

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1398088

This is the only place I can see around 400 thats not sharing

Sharing might be your only option to get a half decent place.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 neko_neko_chan

Thank for reply. There is no one on daft with prices that low. Hence the plea for help :-)

About wether i can add more myself, the contract has to say €375 that is the problem x

I just saw a really grim place, a basement in one of the Georgian places, it was sharing and it was still over the new limits....

Anyone i meet in town who is living there I'm pouncing on them asking for their landlords number!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

why does the contract have to say 375 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Firecracker13

€375 is the allowance for single person on for rent allowance. The Rent Allowance agreement cannot state more than this amount signed by landlord. You can however agree on a rent say €400 and pay the additional €25 monthly yourself. Which would bring your monthly contribution from €32.00 (payable weekly by all) to €32 + €5.80 - 37.80 (25*12/52).

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1398088 - the Limerick Post also has a few properties out on a Thursday.

Hope you find something - agree, its difficult for you.

You can however agree on a rent say €400 and pay the additional €25 monthly yourself.

hi Firecracker - I don't think this is the case. If it were I would be fine where I am cos I could just agree to pay the excess x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

neko,

I think the best thing you can do is get yourself down to the Citzens Information centre on Catherine street asap and sit down there with someone that can explain what exactly applies with regards to rent supplements.

Or go to the Social welfare office and speak to someone who looks after the rent supplement side of things.

I just had a quick look at both the citizens information website and also at the welfare.ie website, and both seem to suggest that you could and should have to pay a minimum contribution towards the rent yourself as well as getting the €375 rent supplement.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/rent_faq.aspx

The address for the Citizens Information centre is in this link

http://centres.citizensinformation.ie/centre.php?cic=Limerick+CIC

Wish I could offer you better advice, but I think you would be best served going to one of the two places I mentioned and getting exact information, than any of us here offering you our best guess and maybe being wrong.

Hope it works out well for you

Thanks Kess,

The rent supplement isn't €375; the cut off to receive it is €375. If the rent is over this cut off then you wont receive it. Currently you pay €30 weekly from your sw payment and you get rent allowance of about €58.

I'm looking to find a place to live with rent of €375 and my feeling is that this is impossible!!

I may indeed take your advice and visit the two places mentioned but tbh I believe they are just going to say to me what I outlined above. Their hands are tied by the legislation I just don't know what happens when you actually can't find a place under these limits.

Again, anyone living in town pleeeease pm me so I can ring landlords! !

Thanks for help and suggestions so far xxxxxxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Firecracker13

Once la lord puts 375 on RA form U can privately agree to pay additional amount, as 375 is cut off for single, also its 32 U pay now not 30 ure local CWO who originally set up rent will explain to U, or look up citizens advice web site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Your best option is the limerick post for rentals. Daft is usually full during summer with student places and then tapers off at this time of year. Mt Kenneth usually throws up a few around the 375 mark, but limerick post is your best bet.

Thanks guys, will be glued to the Limk Post tomorrow. I wonder if I put an add in the paper would it be an idea?! or is that crazy talk :-)

• Advertisement

Hold off on putting ads on paper until you are feeling desperate and as an absolute last resort. The limerick post digital edition will be out first thing in the morning so it may be worth your while to catch the early worm.

I believe there is some form of law in Ireland about being forced in to homelessness, it may be worth your while to read up on it and talk with your cwo about how it is very stressful feeling forced into homelessness and the options open to you aren't possible. If of course you still find it difficult to find a place.

Either way, relax, things may turn out for the best over the next while

padma i wish i could thank your post more than once :-)

thank you, just took a big deep breath there xxxx

I'll chat with my ll tomorrow he has a lot of apartments, though if he has any coming up they'll be in the limerick post.

HURRAY!!!

Don't put any faith in me. If he has anything they'll be in the post so best to go through them channels.

of course xxx:D

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

padma wrote: »
    Hold off on putting ads on paper until you are feeling desperate and as an absolute last resort. The limerick post digital edition will be out first thing in the morning so it may be worth your while to catch the early worm.

I believe there is some form of law in Ireland about being forced in to homelessness, it may be worth your while to read up on it and talk with your cwo about how it is very stressful feeling forced into homelessness and the options open to you aren't possible. If of course you still find it difficult to find a place.

Either way, relax, things may turn out for the best over the next while

Being forced into homelessness and refusing to move somewhere unless you have an apartment all of your own are two different things. The authorities may take a dim view of someone making demands like that. Then again they mightn't mind at all, its not like anyone checks up on how they spend the money :p

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

I think you'll be hard pressed to find anywhere in the middle of the city for €375 or less if I'm honest, the last time I was looking for something similar I never saw anything under €400 (and they tended to be crap) bar a very occasional bedsit.

Obviously I don't know your circumstances (and equally they're none of my business) but I would share wotswattage's view that the powers that be may not be impressed by your assertion that you can't share with somebody else. I sympathise with you on that (I live alone myself and am far happier for it) but, to be blunt, if you can't afford that you may have to bite the bullet on this one.

Finally, I worked maybe a two minute walk from Mount Kenneth for almost ten years and you couldn't PAY me enough money to want to live there. If you're worried about the potential stress of sharing an apartment or house with somebody you'd be well advised to stay away from there in my view, it's a hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Being forced into homelessness and refusing to move somewhere unless you have an apartment all of your own are two different things. The authorities may take a dim view of someone making demands like that. Then again they mightn't mind at all, its not like anyone checks up on how they spend the money :p

A person may have genuine reasons as to why shared accommodation would not work, reasons they should not have to disclose on a webforum, so it could well be a case that alternative accommodation is not suitable and a person could well be forced into homelessness as a result.

I am still of the opinion that the best option would be the sitting down with someone in the Citizens Informations centre as well as having a good chat with the CWO. Speaking to as many well equipped (in terms of subject knowledge, and ability to actually set something in motion) people as possible can only help. The OP will not be the first person they will have heard a problem like hers from, and their experience may prove invaluable as a result. They may be able to advise you on how to approach a landlord better with regards to explaining the situation, or even be able to be contacted by a potential landlord so that the landlord can better understand the system.

There must be thousands upon thousands of people in this country receiving rent supplements, and all of them that are not sharing will not be in accommodation that costs €375 or less a month. So there has to be something in the way the supplemental system is set up that allows Landlords and tenants to work the rent supplement limit into their renatl agreements.

I know I have said this already in the thread, but I cannot stress enough the importance of sitting down with someone from the relevant authority as well as using an excellent resource like the Citizens Information centre. They will be able to give you correct information and may have information on options that the OP was unaware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

Oh I dont doubt that there are people with genuine reasons as to why they cant share accommodation out there, but having too much stuff isn't a valid reason... Nor is the prospect of being driven 'nuts' by housemates.

As said, if the OP has genuine concerns make sure to voice them to the relevant authorities rather than just walking in and demanding that they want a place all of their own paid for because they have too much stuff!

• Advertisement

Oh I dont doubt that there are people with genuine reasons as to why they cant share accommodation out there, but having too much stuff isn't a valid reason... Nor is the prospect of being driven 'nuts' by housemates.

As said, if the OP has genuine concerns make sure to voice them to the relevant authorities rather than just walking in and demanding that they want a place all of their own paid for because they have too much stuff!

So what your really getting to is your last sentence. The guy needs help finding a place and I hope he gets one which I hope you do too.

Anyway I was looking in today's post and there seems to be a few options. I hope he or she has found somewhere. As for my ll he only has a three bedroom going.

Advertisement