Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breeder list

• 18-11-2013 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've just been looking on the IKC website to see if there is some form of breeder lists like the UK Kennel Club have but there doesn't appear to be anything.

Does anybody know of anything like this? Or am I just going to have to Google it? Or see about finding breed clubs perhaps?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Call the breed club and they'll be able to give you a list. That's what I did when I was looking my pup and couldn't have asked for a better breeder! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

No list like that but if you ring the club as Tk said, they will give you names of people with pups etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

thanks guys, I was just wondering as the sticky refers to a list on the IKC website.

Probably best to go through the clubs anyway, they might be somewhat more selective in who they endorse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

What breed are you looking for, i might be able to recommend someone.

andreac wrote: »
    What breed are you looking for, i might be able to recommend someone.

hmmm....not even too sure yet, for the moment I'm doing some research and we're trying to talk ourselves out of it as it's just a terrible idea.

However we both want another dog, on top of our little guy (shihtzuh) and our big oaf. Currently baby on the way so it'll be spring time before we'd seriously consider anything.

I'm trying to get some more info on pyreneans and would love to go see some. Also considering wolfhounds, although I'm somewhat put off by the fact they're sighthounds, I'd have to talk to someone about quite how deeply rooted the instincts are. I do very much like the idea of a big scraggly native hound though.

To be honest if we do end up getting another dog it's likely to be another newfie. Just want to do some research and see what the options are. Ideally I'd like something a little bit more assertive than a newfie when the need arises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

In my experience, you should also have your list of questions ready even for those breeders recommended by breed clubs, particularly regarding health tests.

I find health testing in Ireland to be very poor. In the UK and NI it seems to be seen as a necessity but here it is a luxury to many.

Breed clubs can be very cliquey and remember that you are ringing this group as an outsider to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Lemlin wrote: »
    In my experience, you should also have your list of questions ready even for those breeders recommended by breed clubs, particularly regarding health tests.

I find health testing in Ireland to be very poor. In the UK and NI it seems to be seen as a necessity but here it is a luxury to many.

Breed clubs can be very cliquey and remember that you are ringing this group as an outsider to it.

+1 and have your questions written out so you don't forget them at the thought of puppies! :p

tk123 wrote: »
    +1 and have your questions written out so you don't forget them at the thought of puppies! :p

that's a large part of me wanting to read and talk to them before I go near a breeder.

Once there's hairy bundles of love involved common sense seems to become somewhat impaired. :o

Advertisement