Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctor Who the Movie (1996)

• 18-11-2013 2:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭

Since Paul McGann is doing the rounds, i noticed that the movie is on tomorrow:

Doctor Who
    (Film)

Time - 15:05 to 17:00 (1 hour and 55 minutes long).
    When - Tuesday 19th November on Watch

Paul McGann makes his only appearance as the mysterious Time Lord in this feature-length

adventure. In San Francisco on New Year's Eve, 1999, the Doctor meets his old nemesis.
    Director: Geoffrey Sax
    Starring: Paul McGann, Eric Roberts, Daphne Ashbrook, Sylvester McCoy, Yee Jee Tso, John Novak
    (Made For TV, 1996, 12

Also i came across this recently

Doctor Who: The Movie Q&A - Oct 2013

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

It's on Netflix too.

It is absolutely terrible. I still love it though. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

LOL, just downloaded this over the weekend!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Ah come on, terrible is too strong. It's probably one of the best Sylvester McCoy episodes for one, and the "Doctor Who: The Next Generation" theme is awesome :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Ah come on, terrible is too strong. It's probably one of the best Sylvester McCoy episodes for one, and the "Doctor Who: The Next Generation" theme is awesome :D

:D

The goo snake out-acts Eric Roberts. The second scene in the back of an ambulance is probably one of the funniest things I have ever seen. I'm also particularly fond of the "Who Am I!?" scene.

Brilliant stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Awful, awful movie.

But I do love it so. McGann makes a great Doctor, you can see he's just like every other new incarnation, a bit shaky and flimsy but has a great potential.

I'll probably watch it again sometime just for fun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

I liked the TV Movie, up until the final 20 minutes where everything went bat-sh1t crazy and descended into magic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

That was probably the 1st time since seeing it then & it has aged well ;)
    Ridiculous storyline, but you'll still watch it at the same time & Eric Roberts was always an unconvincing baddie.

At one point the cop thought McGann was reaching for his gun, 'No she said he's British & then he takes out his Jelly Beans to give to the startled cop :p'

Here is the UK & US trailers for it i came across:

US

UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

It's odd that they were at such pains to establish a continuity with the old series, even to its detriment. If one takes a look at the pitch sheets and series-MOs reprinted in the 'Dr. Who 40th Anniversary Retrospective', and ignores the presence of Spider-Daleks, it becomes obvious that it was a proper reboot; McGann's Doctor was set to exist in a different continuity, with old Doc scripts getting modern re-tellings. This, indeed, making the presence of McCoy baffling.

On the subject of the 40th anniversary, it's now the 10th year since we briefly had Richard E. Grant as the official 9th Doctor. A performance so phoned-in, Russell T. Davies broke BBC/Showbiz code and went on record to publicly bash it when presented with the question of if Grant was ever in contention for the role of Doc in the revival.....Wonder how he feels about Dr. Simeon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Good grief, that was awful. A perfect example of how even a good performance from the star can't elevate a dire movie from being a dire movie... the phrase "you can't polish a turd" comes to mind.

McGann's doctor definitely had potential (as we saw in The Night of the Doctor) but, honestly, I'm glad that didn't get greenlit to go beyond the pilot. Every awful excess of 90's American TV applied to Doctor Who just wouldn't have worked and it's a clear case of the Americans just not getting British story-telling. You can just picture the execs sitting around the table chomping on cigars in the Hotel Beverly Hills:

"Well, we have to have a romantic lead... "

"oh oh, and the millenium has to feature, that's SO hot right now!"

"lets make the kid asian, it should go down well in the Chinese market..."

If that had been green-lit, I'm not sure there'd have been anything left for RTD to resuscitate in 2005.

I put on "The Five-ish Doctors" immediately afterwards to cheer myself up!

Advertisement