Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washington - 2 days

Options
  • 18-11-2013 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Looking for advice please on the must see and do's for Washington. Have 2 days there and looking to fit in as much as possible. Thanks in advance for replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

State or DC?

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭tus.maith

Sorry, Washington DC, staying just next to Union Station, Monday and Tuesday of next week.

It's been about 10 years since I was there, so opening times may have changed but I found nothing opened until 10AM. I spent a lot of time on the Mall.

You can easily spend two days going between the Smithsonians, my favourites were the Air and Space, Natural History.

I found the Holocaust museum very interesting but it's pretty depressing place so depends on your mindset.

Georgetown was a nice area to walk around and eat at.

I wasn't 21 when I was there so can't comment on where would be good to go out.

Whitehouse was disappointing, long queues and you didn't get to see very much of it, I never went into the Capital building which I regretted. the museums take a long time to get around so if you plan on doing a lot of them plan you trip as their will be plenty of walking.

I wasn't too impressed by the Zoo either, when I was there they had some Panda's (not sure if they are still there) but that was the only interesting thing there for me.

I didn't find there was much to do in DC except going to the museums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I spent two days there last October. Just seeing the sites on the Mall will take you the best part of a day. It's tough though, we must have walked about 10 miles so make sure you bring comfortable shoes.

The second day we had planned to see a few of the Smithsonian museums but the air/space one took us nearly all day in itself so we only got to spend an hour or so in the Native American one.

We never had time to go to Arlington Cemetery or out to Georgetown or down to Alexandria so there does seem to be plenty to do. You'll definitely fill up your two days pretty quickly.

We never had time to go to Arlington Cemetery or out to Georgetown or down to Alexandria so there does seem to be plenty to do. You'll definitely fill up your two days pretty quickly.

Arlington was OK, not worth it if you have limited time as it's a bit out, I believe I used the Metro to get there. Apart from JFK's grave there wasn't much in there, that I found, however the vastness of the cemetery is impressive. Seeing the vast rows of little headstones outlined how many US military have lost their lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

for such a limited time, I would take one of the hop/on hop/off tours. There are a few different schedules but I'm sure your hotel will have details.

Arlington Cemetary was impressive as was Old Town Alexandria. There is a night time tour of the lit up monuments but not sure if it is still running at this time of year.

Advertisement