Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question as a first time renter

Options
  • 18-11-2013 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all

I'm looking to move into my first apartment (Dubliner, couldn't leave mammy :-P) over the coming months. I've got what is most likely a horribly stupid question, but regardless I'd like to ask it.

When checking out sites like Daft I notice that no description states whether they are looking for 1 tenant, or if more are necessary. Example - if looking at a 3 bedroom apartment should I assume it's no use to me as I do not have 2 friends who want to move in with me, or do agencies generally rent places out to 3 randomers? Like I said, total first time renter so I'm aware it's a dumb question. :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

ShayA wrote: »
    Hi all

I'm looking to move into my first apartment (Dubliner, couldn't leave mammy :-P) over the coming months. I've got what is most likely a horribly stupid question, but regardless I'd like to ask it.

When checking out sites like Daft I notice that no description states whether they are looking for 1 tenant, or if more are necessary. Example - if looking at a 3 bedroom apartment should I assume it's no use to me as I do not have 2 friends who want to move in with me, or do agencies generally rent places out to 3 randomers? Like I said, total first time renter so I'm aware it's a dumb question. :-)

You will see house shares with the price per room but the description usually says this.
    You can usually tell by price but if its a three bed they want to rent the whole thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ShayA

Potatoeman wrote: »
    You will see house shares with the price per room but the description usually says this.
    You can usually tell by price but if its a three bed they want to rent the whole thing.
    Cheers. I kind of assumed this would be stated in descriptions but haven't seen any to date? Thanks all the same for the quick response.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

ShayA wrote: »
    Cheers. I kind of assumed this would be stated in descriptions but haven't seen any to date? Thanks all the same for the quick response.

Things are not always listed properly especially rooms. Sometimes its the tenant and not the landlord listing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Hi ShayA

Daft has different sections for letting whole properties and rooms. If you want to rent a whole property then search under the "lettings" area. If you want a room in a house then search under the "sharing" area.

It all comes down to how much you can afford and if you want to live alone or not. In general it is more expensive to rent a whole property.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If it's an apartment to let them it doesn't matter if you're on your own; so long as you can afford the rent it's not an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

There are a few things to be aware of, and worth asking about, if you will be sharing with others.

If the property was rented as a single unit with all tenants on the lease, you may be replacing a tenant who is leaving. Where a property id rented as a single unit, that means that the landlord wants x per month, irrespective of whether a tenant leaves. That means that you may have to pay more while a new tenant is found and takes up residence.

In the above situation the tenants are "jointly and severally" liable for the rent: if one tenant fails to pay, the others must cough up.

However, in many cases, there is often one tenant who looks after the payment to the landlord on behalf of the other tenants; in this case you would be a tenant and have all the rights (and obligations) given you under the Residential Tenancies Act 2004.

Again. if you rent in a house that is already occupied, to whom will you be paying the rent - the landlord of the property or to one of the tenants. If the latter, you could be classed as a lodger (or licensee) of said tenant. Under these circumstances you have very few rights.

If you are searching Daft, Sharing>Advanced Search option, there is a box you can tick, under: Would you like an owner-occupied place?

Advertisement