Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CeX Waterford

Options
  • 18-11-2013 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭

I first stumbled across this shop back in July up in Dublin and I fell in love with what they had in there. Then I heard it opened up in Port Laoise which only made it better because it was closer.

This, though, is just a dream come true for me. Probably the best electronics store I've ever set foot in. Has anyone took a trip in?

It's on Broad Street, next to Claire's

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭twistables

Best of luck with your new business ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

There's a CEX in Waterford???? Since when?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Worst electronics shop ive ever seen in my life.

Crappy website and 300 quid for a second hand iPod? 515 for a second hand iPad? 135 for a second had 360What planet are they living on?

Heres a tip. Use Amazon and dont encourage this rip off ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

There's a CEX in Waterford???? Since when?

They opened over the weekend. Mad to have a look at the end of the week

twistables wrote: »
    Best of luck with your new business ;-)
    Good one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

was in there this morning, 90% of there blu-ray's are way overpriced, selling lots for €15, when they can be bought new at half the price.

johndoe99 wrote: »
    was in there this morning, 90% of there blu-ray's are way overpriced, selling lots for €15, when they can be bought new at half the price.

I'd be in there for the games and the games only. Biggest library of games I've ever seen in a shop since I moved here. I'm looking to sell my iPod 4th Gen (8gb) tomorrow to see what they'll give me for it. It says on their site, 70 something euro. But I'm going to expect at least 50 because it has a bit of wear/tear on it. Still works perfect though.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭TheVandal

I was in there the other day. They have some grand stuff- but they have some insane prices though. The phones are ridiculous prices too. You can get cheaper, sim free in Argos etc. One that stood out for me was an Asus Tablet- €130 second hand- yet €120 ish brand new everywhere else. Again, this is the only one that really stood out for me.

I'm not complaining though- the bulk of stuff they have in there, camera lenses etc are really very reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭NecroSteve

Got myself a HTC Wildfire in there the other day for €58. Grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

just went in, got an xbox and a wii game for inder 15.. not bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 FoxC13

Worst store ever , they are taking in stuff for half nothing and selling for ridiculous prices !
    Not only that the overpriced phones are in terrible condition and look like crap !
    To add insult to injury the staff in there are so ignorant and treat the customer like they're nothing.
    Customer Satisifaction is not very high when they , tell you that you have to ask for the price , and say 'you listen to me now' ,and don't even say thanks after a customer has bought something!
    They don't have a clue .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I wasn't impressed with the staff either. My girlfriend went in to sell her phone, they ran their test which lasted 7 hours, after only supposed to have lasted an hour, they took that amount of time to realise why they couldn't unlock it, I realised it within 5 minutes after receiving the phone back from them. After I fixed this, she went back into them, and they had put an o2 sim in before and told her they didn't do it and therefore couldn't accept the phone, clueless.

i find the staff very rude, it's like they don't want to be there. I was in the queue in front of a chap that was trading in DVDs, they started checking them for scratches (fine with that they have to check them), but then they start printing out bar-codes for each individual DVD, and putting each disc away in the store section, before they even told the chap what they were worth. All this whilst the queue builds and builds. Any other place would check for scratches and then put the discs aside for later. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Have to agree with some of the staff comments. I love the prices and the selection in there, but I hate going up to the counter.

Guy in front of me asked why game A is €20 and game B is €10 when A is 4 years older than B.

Simple answer is "supply and demand. A is rarer and has less copies than B so it costs more."

Instead what happened was....
    Staff member : "It's just supply and demand."
    Customer: "I don't getcha...."
    Staff member: "Well you know....lets say you have the Mona Lisa cost a certain amount and you have another painting say The Scream and..."
    Customer: "...what...why are you talking about paintings?"
    Staff member: "I'm explaining supply and demand to you because you asked. So you have these paintings.....mona lisa.....blah blah.... millions of euros..."

This goes on for about two minutes while I'm waiting to get served. Finally another staff member comes over.

Staff 2: "Why are you talking about paintings?"
    Staff 1: "I'm just explaining supply and demand to the gentleman."
    Staff 2: "You...what...sir ignore him. One game is harder to find and rarer than the other, thats why it costs more."
    Customer: "Oh that makes sense."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I just get more annoyed every time I use this shop.

The guys in there meant to be 'testing' the stuff haven't a clue about most of the stuff they're supposed to be 'testing'.

Brought in a pair of Turtle Beach headphones for Xbox and was told to come back in half an hour after they tested them, that's grand, came back after half an hour, was told they couldn't take them as there was no charger with it, they needed the charger to buy them. I politely explained that they don't come with a charger, that they use AA batteries.

So, was told to call back in another half an hour, which I did. This time, was told they couldn't test them as they didn't have the USB cable to plug them into the PC. *FACE PALM* I politely informed them again that it doesn't required a USB for PC connection as they were wireless headphones that worked on the Xbox only. So once again, call back after 20/30 minutes.

Called back in again anyway and they supposedly say they failed the test, that they wouldn't work. Brought them home, and they worked perfectly :confused:

Another 2 times, after having stuff in for 'testing' they gave me back the items without the chargers, luckily I checked the box contents before leaving, talk about incompetence! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Half the staff in there are great dealing with customers, but I'd say the other half of them never worked in retail before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 AnotherUserID

The prices in the shop for games, and trade ins are great. But the staff are useless.

I've worked in multiple stores, and have a good background in games(college) and most of the staff there don't have a clue. The personal hygiene too is awful. I was speaking to staff one morning and had to actually leave the shop because the smell was so bad.

The staff are nice, but are really clueless. You can make your staff wear a batman jumper, but if she cannot name 2 batman games, shes no good.

Gamestop is the only place I go for games. Staff are great, they know their stuff. Although Gamestop as a chain is insanely awful with pricing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I found them pricey for electronics, but good for games trade-ins. I like that the prices are on the website and they are the prices you get in the shop. The staff weren't overly knowledgeable but I knew what I was looking for so that was ok with me. I've bought / traded stuff in there 2 or 3 times and found them to be pleasant enough. Nice to have an alternative and a bit of extra selection if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

The prices in the shop for games, and trade ins are great. But the staff are useless.

I've worked in multiple stores, and have a good background in games(college) and most of the staff there don't have a clue. The personal hygiene too is awful. I was speaking to staff one morning and had to actually leave the shop because the smell was so bad.

The staff are nice, but are really clueless. You can make your staff wear a batman jumper, but if she cannot name 2 batman games, shes no good.

Gamestop is the only place I go for games. Staff are great, they know their stuff. Although Gamestop as a chain is insanely awful with pricing

YOU SAID IT IN ONE MATE ! ! ! WAS DOWN DURING THE WEEK AND DECIDED TO CALL IN TO SEE IF THEY HAD ANY CHEAP DVDS WELL LISTEN TO THIS . . . ALL I CAN SAY IS DREADUL EXPERIENCE. . . . CANT SPEAK ON THE SELECTION OF DVDS OR OTHER PRODUCTS AS I WAS DRIVEN OUT OF THE SHOP WITHIN 2 MINS BEFORE I COULD GET A PROPER LOOK FROM THE STENCH OF SWEAT AND BLARING HEAVY METAL MUSIC. . . AWFUL . . . . AVOID AVOID AVOID :mad:

have your say here:

http://www.trustpilot.ie/review/webuy.com

cex respond to some of the replies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 James 278

Who is the really hot guy that works in CeX on Sunday's with like really toned body black hair tanned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

James 278 wrote: »
    Who is the really hot guy that works in CeX on Sunday's with like really toned body black hair tanned

Is his name James by any chance?

It could be I wasn't sure but what's his last name lol

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

It could be I wasn't sure but what's his last name lol

278 id say

No I'm serious

No I'm serious

serious myself. at least 2500 dead now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

After 30 minutes browsing in one of their shops I found probably the only DVD of National Velvet on sale in the country. They couldn't find the disc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

My two cents

Absolute robbers as regards DVDs. Giving €4 cash for a DVD and then selling it for €18 is a recent example.

Hard to like the staff too. A couple of idiots who seem to think there really cool and are more interested in their so called banter than actually serving the customer. Smell of skidmarks off them too.

My two cents

Absolute robbers as regards DVDs. Giving €4 cash for a DVD and then selling it for €18 is a recent example.

Hard to like the staff too. A couple of idiots who seem to think there really cool and are more interested in their so called banter than actually serving the customer. Smell of skidmarks off them too.

joys of the free market im afraid. pay peanuts and all that craic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Smell of skidmarks off them too.

I've never been in there but this deserves to be post of the day just for that comment alone

Advertisement