Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trad flute players, honest opinion...

Options
  • 18-11-2013 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

is it a difficult instrument to master? is the mouth work, actually getting a sound out of it, the real challenge? or the fingering (i'd probably do ok there with my piano background).

I have some musical background, read music, play piano, did play recorder at school ;) but i just love the low sound of the keyless flute and would love to play it. I sorely miss playing music in groups (youth orchestra background) and if i could get good enough would love to pick up my flute and just join in with others.

would love some honest feedback on it's difficulty as a instrument. I also love the oboe but know i'll never be able to master it at my age so was wondering would the trad flute (which has an equally beautiful sound) work for me.

oh, have no background at all in trad music, mine was all classical.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I recommend getting your hands on some nice cds two flute players in particular Roger Sherlock and the late Paddy Carthy from Galway, both play simple system flute and the music is stunning if not inspirational. Of course there is the one lunged Matt Molloy and loads of others. But the way you described the sound, the first two guys came to mind.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

This is a late reply, but hopefully you'll see it.
    ===================================

Go for it. Absolutely. I was in the same situation as yourself, and I was able to master... uh.... enjoy it very quickly

Worse case scenario: a musical genius mate of mine was never able to purse his lips properly, so had to start the low whistle instead. Well I can tell you I'm glad he didn't give up.

Listen to this: Paddy Keenan on the low whistle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9zURaG8SFs

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭frenchmartini

thank you guys.
    am very tempted to try it out. Comhaltas meet near me and offer lessons so will start with them.
    that Paddy Keenan piece is amazing. beautiful and haunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I think Roger is playing a keyed flute there.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

that Paddy Keenan piece is amazing. beautiful and haunting.

I think that "haunting" sound people usually refer to is a touch of reverb!

• Advertisement
Advertisement