Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How important is the aspect of a house / apartment?

Options
  • 18-11-2013 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

As above how important really is it ? are there some some property's that you wouldn't buy or even rent due to the way it faces?? Is there an aspect worth more or less?? ....I understand the gardeners need their sun...is it something that is a big showstopper or ....is it just a bonus if its right/better

Im looking at a small property with a garden facing west?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭wench

West is fine. Avoid ones with the main living spaces facing north, or they will be noticeably colder.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

As above how important really is it ? are there some some property's that you wouldn't buy or even rent due to the way it faces?? Is there an aspect worth more or less?? ....I understand the gardeners need their sun...is it something that is a big showstopper or ....is it just a bonus if its right/better

you need a view of the southern horizen to get a Sat Dish working.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The need for planning permission for a satellite dish if on the front and increased lighting costs would put me off. Previous house had a front kitchen facing north and needed lighting all year, current one doesn't

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Check out which side you will get most sun in afternoon. West/South west
    You will get more out of that sunshine than in the morning and the higher up the apartment is the longer sun you will get as it won't be blocked out by other buildings.
    If you are on the ground floor check the coverage from other buildings, You might be lucky and have a nice little sun trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

MYOB wrote: »
    The need for planning permission for a satellite dish if on the front and increased lighting costs would put me off. Previous house had a front kitchen facing north and needed lighting all year, current one doesn't
    You can put a dish on a back wall or on a pole at rear of house. Tbh its stupid reason to not buy a house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

ted1 wrote: »
    You can put a dish on a back wall or on a pole at rear of house. Tbh its stupid reason to not buy a house

Depends on the size of your garden. Only one of a few reasons anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

People place a lot more weight in it than necessary in my opinion.

A south-facing house is fairly pointless, if all your living space is to the rear (and hence north-facing).

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭domcq

The site below is very useful for predicting year round and at particular times where the sun will be in relation to a specific address.

http://suncalc.net/#/51.5,-0.117,12/2013.11.19/10:47

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

We rented a house a while back where most of the windows were north/east facing - it was dark and very cold in the winter. That being said we weren't too bothered by it because we were renting.

When buying, aspect was pretty important to us - it's one of the things you're not going to be able to do anything about down the line. Also, a south west facing garden is not only good for plants but if your garden is sheltered it will act as a sun trap and be noticeably warmer. I've been out in a south facing garden on a sunny winter day in a sweater and felt a little too warm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This is my ideal shape for a house to make the most of a suntrap aspect (but whoever did this design has the house facing west), albeit I'd change the order of the rooms (living room no14 and Kitchen no5)

http://www.archello.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/header_detail_large/1F_PLAN.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Looking at houses in an estate with a view to first time purchase and would be glad of advice regarding best aspect -

House A - front east facing, back garden facing west - main bedrooms to rear (west facing), living room east facing

House B (opposide side of estate) - front & living room west facing , back garden and main bedrooms east facing

Which is better generally - any ideas ? We think the east facing house - sun in the bedrooms and back garden in the mornings - any ideas ? There is no garden at front, just open driveway & green space

Any advice welcome !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

House B is the one I'd go for - living room is where you spend the evening that's where heat of the sun also is - helps to reduce heating bills in spring and autumn. Bedrooms facing East helps you get up in the morning with the sun on the window!

Where is the kitchen?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,415 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It can be very important for an apartment, as you might only have one aspect!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

West is fine in my opinion- as you'll have the sun at the front of the house/apartment in the morning- and at the rear in the evening. You're most likely to be in the house in the early morning and evening after work- so you're maximising your potential for sunlight.

Its all well and good saying- if you don't have a garden it doesn't matter- it most certainly does. Its healthier to have as much sunlight as possible especially in our Autumn/Winter/Spring months- when its at a premium.

Its not going to make a massive difference to heating costs- as you're going to have a North and South aspect irrespective of whether or not its at the front/rear-but having additional windows facing North/South- will obviously make the place feel dark and cold.

West is fine in my opinion- as you'll have the sun at the front of the house/apartment in the morning- and at the rear in the evening. You're most likely to be in the house in the early morning and evening after work- so you're maximising your potential for sunlight.

Do you mean east facing Mod ? In the case of the houses we are looking at , it's the east facing house (House A) that gets the sun in the morning on the front and on the rear in the evenings and vice versa with the other house (House B)- the one that is West facing. It gets morning sun on the rear ( incl the garden) and evening sun in the front.
    The houses have living room to front and main bedrooms & kitchen to rear .
    Thanks !

mike65 wrote: »
    House B is the one I'd go for - living room is where you spend the evening that's where heat of the sun also is - helps to reduce heating bills in spring and autumn. Bedrooms facing East helps you get up in the morning with the sun on the window!

Where is the kitchen?

Kitchen is to the rear, looking into the garden, so, as with the garden it will get sun for the first half of the day ,also house B isn't overlooked so no shadows or obstruction of light in the mornings , thanks for your advice Mike !

Advertisement