Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Controllers for helos/jets?

Options
  • 18-11-2013 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

What are you guys using to control Helos and Jets? Mouse/Keypad? Joystick? 360 controllers? Something odder? Been using a saitek st290 joystick for flying recently myself (it has a throttle and a twist axis for yaw), and getting some success, but it's not quite as fluid as with actual flight sims and I'm wondering is that just a case of needing more time and practice or if there is just a better way to do things...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

360 for me, wired.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Keyboard/Mouse , hence the odd crashes where I ran out of mouse mat :p

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

jonski wrote: »
    ran out of mouse mat :p
    See, that's why I never tried the mouse for controlling the helos, but looking at some of the videos on youtube, I can't see how else they get such fine-grained control of the aimpoint...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

to be fair I never really run out of mat with the helos . with the jets , now thats another matter entirely ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

to be fair I never really run out of mat with the helos . with the jets , now thats another matter entirely ....

All you do is bind pitch up and down to the side buttons on your mouse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

I'm the same and find combating that problem by turning dpi up on the mouse i cant hit f all then.

Heli is fine though with K+M.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I don't like flying without a dead zone and hard stops. I got rid of my sidewinder 2 when I moved a few years ago so I'm stuck with a wireless 360 controller.
    There are a few issues tho, for some reason free look was apparently bound to the triggers (but not listed), which I use for throttle, meaning loss of control in first person view sometimes. Also bumpers still pull up the como rose even though I've removed the binding. Back doesn't always bring up the scoreboard but at least you can disable the silly in game battlelog thing.

Of course DIce still refuse to allow the game to detect the controller on the fly, it must be turned on when the game starts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Brian OH 99

For helis I leave it on default and for BF4 jets I use a WASD set up...I'm in the division one for scout helis and attack jets (and top 5 in ireland as a PC gamer) in the world so it's safe to say it works :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

360 controller I was fairly good in bf3 the trigger for free look made me smash into the ground more than once :/

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭battser

noob Q here. How do I set up the 360 remote to be used?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

As in the dongle for the wireless remote ?

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭battser

Epic fail batts. Sorry lads I should have just googled it first time. Might try that out cause am still just ****e in them with the kb

Gave the M+K setup a go tonight, but with the roll and yaw axes swapped around on the mapping. Seems to work really well.... right up until the havok ambushes the Z-9 and panic sets in because I have no gunners :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Sparks wrote: »
    Gave the M+K setup a go tonight, but with the roll and yaw axes swapped around on the mapping. Seems to work really well.... right up until the havok ambushes the Z-9 and panic sets in because I have no gunners :D

I used to always use my MS precision pro joystick but recently i tried mouse+kb and im finding it fine.
    Make no mistake i was allover the place at first.

I think it was the axis mappings that had me messed up - roll and yaw in a BF4 helo do very different things to roll and yaw in a BF4 jet, not to mention that in "real" flight sims, the controls are completely different as well -- there's an entire control axis missing from BF4 helos (the collective) and BF4 helos are very "floaty" as a result. For example, how do you drop your altitude in a BF4 helo quickly? The answer's going to be something like a roll or pitch or cutting your throttle, all of which affect your altitude as a secondary effect, which means that it's going to be slower (which matters in that moment where you realise you're too high to go under the railway bridge in Golmud :D

If you remember the Apache Longbow sims and the like, the answer there was to push down the collective and that dropped you immediately, it was direct control over your lift. You were a lot more maneuverable as a result. Mind you, the BF3 helos were even worse, BF4's a massive improvement on those.

I aways assumed that the throttle was pretty much equivalent to the collective in BF and the helis had no actual throttle.

Real ones do have a throttle, it's often built into the collective lever as a twist-type throttle control on smaller helicopters:

EC135_CP.jpg

Don't know how it works on larger helicopters, but it's under fly-by-wire control in some (with tragically infamous bugs in some). And in most of the "proper" helo sims, helo flight is modelled that way and the flight characteristics are very different to BF4.

Oh I know, I've plenty of real world experience with helicopters. :)

The point is that the throttle and the collective both primarily affect lift, via rpm and rotor pitch respectively. Both are coupled since you need to match rpm to rotor pitch to prevent stall. It's not too different to an automatic gearbox I guess.
    So for the most part cyclic, collective and rudders are all you should really need once you have the right flight model.

That said both the jets and helis are far too heavily damped and dumbed down in both BF3 and 4, many of the modern jets are super agile and highly unstable in reality yet they fly like training aircraft. (I know it's not supposed to be realistic) Ideally I would like to see fighter jets have a much higher minimum speed and be difficult to aim allowing for better dogfighting and making the slow moving attack aircraft difficult targets. Attack aircraft should be pretty slow but pack a massive punch but have some mechanic requiring time to set up your attack, cannon spin up time or requiring low flying or something.

Of course this is probably horribly unbalanced and would require a much bigger area for jets.

5uspect wrote: »
    Oh I know, I've plenty of real world experience with helicopters. :)
    Lucky rich git :D
    the slow moving attack aircraft difficult targets. Attack aircraft should be pretty slow but pack a massive punch but have some mechanic requiring time to set up your attack, cannon spin up time or requiring low flying or something.
    Give them an ammo limit the way that infantry has, only (obviously) several thousand rounds, rather than a hundred :D

Sparks wrote: »
    Lucky rich git :D

Give them an ammo limit the way that infantry has, only (obviously) several thousand rounds, rather than a hundred :D

I wish, I spend a bit of time in the Aer Corps as a student.

• Advertisement

On a related tangent, I went hunting for any tactical tips on how to use the BF4 helos on youtube and had almost zero luck. Lots and lots of "here's how you fly" videos (which all seem to be the same 10-second explanation of how you pitch forward to go forward and so forth). A few "tactics" videos which are nothing more than "how you fly" videos pretending to be something else. And that was it.

What I'm thinking of is one or more of:
    • Examples of training routines to use to sharpen helo skills, like the ones I use:
      • circle strafing the central building in the test range while firing into all layers of it continously until it collapses, all from as close a range as possible
      • hitting the infantry falling plates with the scout helo's miniguns, bobbing and weaving after every plate falls and diving off to the far end of the range when the miniguns run dry and covering at zero feet over the water behind the rocks for the minigun recharge, then repeating
      • the same falling plate routine, but from the other end of the range so you sneak up on the plate from behind their backstops, pop up or around the backstop, hit the plates, then move on
    • Examples of tactics that actually work in "real games" :D Like, traffic patterns in shanghai, dodging routines, that sort of thing

There's just a dearth of examples of the stuff you'd like to learn once you have basic movement more or less working. Anyone got any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Best way of flying choppers in BF4? Watch Blue Thunder/Airwolf :D
    Especially in the city maps..attack choppers are awesome.

Blazer wrote: »
    attack choppers are awesome.
    Er, no. They're too slow, too underpowered (if your primary attack mode is popping up over cover, blowing stuff up and ducking back down, a slow rate of climb is just a liability), and underarmoured (the transport helos take more of a pounding before blowing up for heaven's sake). Not to mention that the unlocks are overpowering - a base level attack helo versus a fully unlocked attack helo is not a contest where equal levels of skill results in equal chances of success :(

Don't get me wrong, flying them in maps like Shanghai or Dawnbreaker is a load of fun, but it usually comes to a frustrating end where you know you wouldn't have had your whole day ruined if the real thing had been modeled a bit more closely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I never lasted more than a minute while piloting a helo but since I started switching to a 3rd person if found everything sooooooo much easier.

Quickly jumping to an internal view when popping off a few shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I never lasted more than a minute while piloting a helo but since I started switching to a 3rd person if found everything sooooooo much easier.

Quickly jumping to an internal view when popping off a few shots.

oh god no..that's just plain wrong...

Wrong on so many levels...

I've been using M+K now for a few days, it seems to be working so much better since I swapped the axes around, but this just arrived today so I'll be trying it out to see can I improve on that (more to follow)...

282174.jpg

(Not bad for fifteen quid off ebay...)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Wrong but oh so right

Advertisement