Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Communication Studies

• 18-11-2013 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a bit of information on the Communications degree at DCU. I've graduated from another course recently (not at DCU) but it's not really what I've wanted to do. Been trying to find my way in to radio and media since I've finished. So, I'm thinking of jumping back in to the roller coaster that is the Irish education system.

I've got my eye on Communications because it sounds to me to be exactly what I want to do. I'd love to get hugely involved in DCUfm and such as extra curricular! I just wanted to see if I could hear from some current Communications students and get their opinion on the course, and what it involves when you're actually studying (a prospectus generally differs a lot from reality :p ).

Went to the open day last week but could only stay for an hour and a half-ish, so of course I was too early for any talks on it. Alternative information routes it is!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a bit of information on the Communications degree at DCU. I've graduated from another course recently (not at DCU) but it's not really what I've wanted to do. Been trying to find my way in to radio and media since I've finished. So, I'm thinking of jumping back in to the roller coaster that is the Irish education system.

I've got my eye on Communications because it sounds to me to be exactly what I want to do. I'd love to get hugely involved in DCUfm and such as extra curricular! I just wanted to see if I could hear from some current Communications students and get their opinion on the course, and what it involves when you're actually studying (a prospectus generally differs a lot from reality :p ).

Went to the open day last week but could only stay for an hour and a half-ish, so of course I was too early for any talks on it. Alternative information routes it is!

Comms is the laughing stock of DCU. If you do it make sure you write with one of the papers and get involved in DCU FM as you said. You should try Intern with a radio station or something similar during summer months if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 CalamityDan

How come it's the laughing stock of DCU? The people doing it, the coursework, or just because it's an Arts degree? :p

I'm looking for an internship or even work experience all over Dublin and the North East at the minute, even as far as Athlone but nothing yet. Just keeping all my options open until I hopefully get in to the industry!

Any more help would be great because I'm finding it hard to get information out of DCU themselves! Looking like I'll have to search myself at the minute.

Cheers! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

How come it's the laughing stock of DCU? The people doing it, the coursework, or just because it's an Arts degree? :p

I'm looking for an internship or even work experience all over Dublin and the North East at the minute, even as far as Athlone but nothing yet. Just keeping all my options open until I hopefully get in to the industry!

Any more help would be great because I'm finding it hard to get information out of DCU themselves! Looking like I'll have to search myself at the minute.

Cheers! :D

Ye it's basically your sterotypical Arts degree. 1 exam in 3 years, 10 hour weeks and you can do a puppetry module in 3rd year. Thats why you need to do the extracurricular stuff. You sound like you'll be fine in that regard though. ALso maybe check out the Media studies course aswell.

Good luck anyway.

Advertisement