Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare music

Options
  • 18-11-2013 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭

It is a little bit odd that we don't have a part of the Kildare forum dealing with some of the great musicians in our beloved county. We all know about Newbridge knocking out Christy Moore, Donal Lunny and Luka Bloom, Athy with Jack L, Celbridge with Damien Rice and Bell XI. At the moment there is some serious talent: Mmoths, We are Losers, Knoxville Morning, Sive and King Modo are on fire! Anyone got any recommendations for new music in Kildare? Any memories of some of the old bands?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Wordless

Having played all over Kildare two place that were great to play were Lil's in Kildare Town (still there) and Cox 's in Newbridge (sadly gone) some of the bands from my time were The Zimmerman's, The Malenky Bits, Cursed Earth, Sleeping Village, The Buzzers, The Haggard, Little Sally's Dead, Mythical New Underground and probably the best punk band Kildare ever produced Genital Mishap. What was going on elsewhere in the '90s. There has to be a few musicians on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,616 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

And don't forget Super Extra Bonus Party from Newbridge who won the 2007 Choice music award. Then there's Band On An Island too.

I saw Cursed Earth and The Haggard many times...

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

Wordless wrote: »
    Having played all over Kildare two place that were great to play were Lil's in Kildare Town (still there) and Cox 's in Newbridge (sadly gone) some of the bands from my time were The Zimmerman's, The Malenky Bits, Cursed Earth, Sleeping Village, The Buzzers, The Haggard, Little Sally's Dead, Mythical New Underground and probably the best punk band Kildare ever produced Genital Mishap. What was going on elsewhere in the '90s. There has to be a few musicians on here.

If that's the same Cursed Earth the lead singer is an old friend of mine, I think they may have got together again recently for a gig or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

The grand hotel(now judge roy beans) use to have some cracking bands in on a Sunday night. Mostly rebel/trad bands. If you weren't there before 8pm you were standing for the night.

And don't forget Super Extra Bonus Party from Newbridge who won the 2007 Choice music award. Then there's Band On An Island too.

I saw Cursed Earth and The Haggard many times...

I was going to mention Super Extra Bonus Party. I know the lads they were a great band. Band on an Island are Knoxville Morning. The Haggard were a great band they released a demo called Monkey Humpries. They were very Pixies like.

• Advertisement

Danpad wrote: »
    If that's the same Cursed Earth the lead singer is an old friend of mine, I think they may have got together again recently for a gig or two.

Had to be the same band!

ken wrote: »
    The grand hotel(now judge roy beans) use to have some cracking bands in on a Sunday night. Mostly rebel/trad bands. If you weren't there before 8pm you were standing for the night.

I was only talking about The Grand today it was a great place for a gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVJbSDwQqLw

Regular band in Lil's Kildare. The drummer also plays with the reformed Rocky Develera and the Rhythm Kings.

sparksfly wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVJbSDwQqLw

Regular band in Lil's Kildare. The drummer also plays with the reformed Rocky Develera and the Rhythm Kings.

Love the lads they are great craic! I played a great gig with Gordon a few years back.

Anyone else?

• Advertisement

Kildare has a few odd claims to fame re: music. Johnny Marr's (Maher) parents are from Athy. I also heard that Thin Lizzy played one of their first gigs in Newbridge.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest on the forum for Kildare music which is a bit of a pity as there are some really interesting musicians around the county. I had hoped to hear from a few folk that might have been in bands from North Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

Check these guys out, bassist is from Co Kildare.

https://www.facebook.com/BeachMusicDublin?directed_target_id=0

sparksfly wrote: »
    Check these guys out, bassist is from Co Kildare.

https://www.facebook.com/BeachMusicDublin?directed_target_id=0

Cheers, I had never heard of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Are the Riptide Movement from Leixlip or am I imagining it?

Also The Barley Mob are worth checking out, the bassist John is from Celbridge.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Are the Riptide Movement from Leixlip or am I imagining it?

Also The Barley Mob are worth checking out, the bassist John is from Celbridge.

I think Riptide might be from Lucan? I have heard The Barley Mob they are a great live act. Has any one heard King Modo? They are another great Kildare act. In other news Sive have been picked to appear on RTEs Other Voices keep an eye out for them.

Can't believe I forgot to mention Mmoths from Newbridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Our soul/funk/folk band is based in Maynooth, hope to have a few local gigs in the new year!

https://www.facebook.com/HVMMINGBYRD

Nice one Dolbert must check the band out.

Sive have been picked to play RTE's Other Room on Sunday the eight of December! Congrats and keep an eye out for it on the box!

• Advertisement

Just reading Morrissey's Autobiography . He has blood from Naas.

Dolbert wrote: »
    Our soul/funk/folk band is based in Maynooth, hope to have a few local gigs in the new year!

https://www.facebook.com/HVMMINGBYRD

Good luck with the recording!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Good luck with the recording!

Thanks :D Hopefully we'll have some finished tracks up by the end of January!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Just reading Morrissey's Autobiography . He has blood from Naas.

We'll claim him!

2ndcoming wrote: »
    We'll claim him!

And why not!! I knew about Marr and Athy and Mozza and Dublin but never knew the Naas thing.

Dolbert wrote: »
    Thanks :D Hopefully we'll have some finished tracks up by the end of January!

Cool! Look forward to hearing them. Are there any other bands knocking around Maynooth?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,029 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Danpad wrote: »
    they have

they have

Brilliant I used to have their demo!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,029 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Brilliant I used to have their demo!
    "caught by the bollox"?

• Advertisement

"caught by the bollox"?

That is the one!