Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any reason to skin sausages?

Options
  • 18-11-2013 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I've a recipe for Jambalaya I've been using for years and keep meaning to ask this question. Because I've given up on getting chorizo in my local Tescos for it, I usually pick up a pound of the spiciest sausages they have on offer and substitute that in. It works pretty well, but the first step on the recipe is to skin and slice the sausage. It's a messy job and I'm not sure it makes any difference.

What I suspect is that if I were to get chorizo, I should skin that, but normal sausage, probably no need. Any reason to remove the skin from a sausage you're slicing? Does it take in flavours better? Cook more evenly? Taste better?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I never skin chorizo personally, life's too short for that. Always available in Lidl by the way if you have one nearby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Skinning chorizo is easy- sharp knife, run the blade down the sausage, just piercing the skin as you go- then peel- all off in a few seconds. All depends on the thickness of the skin OP- the thicker it is the more it can get burned and twisted looking- and it will taste tough- it can affect the taste somewhat also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

Skinning chorizo is easy- sharp knife, run the blade down the sausage, just piercing the skin as you go- then peel- all off in a few seconds. All depends on the thickness of the skin OP- the thicker it is the more it can get burned and twisted looking- and it will taste tough- it can affect the taste somewhat also.

I did what I always do to chorizo last week, exactly as described, sharp knife ran along the sausage piercing the skin, and it would not peel off for me. Gave up in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,408 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The OP was asking about when he is not using chorizo.
    corblimey wrote: »
    What I suspect is that if I were to get chorizo, I should skin that, but normal sausage, probably no need. Any reason to remove the skin from a sausage you're slicing? Does it take in flavours better? Cook more evenly? Taste better?

You are correct. Skinning only applies when using chorizo. It has a tougher skin than sausages so it's best to strip it away. Some types might not need it. Sausages definitely don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

If cooking whole sausages I skin them, that way they dont curl up and are easier to cook. I run the knife blade up just under the skin and you can generally peel all 8 by continuing to peelonto the next sausage withot needing the knife.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I know how to peel chorizo, and IME sometimes it peels relatively easily, sometimes it doesn't. The one I buy in Lidl has a quite thin skin and it's a royal PITA to get it off, so I don't bother, and to be honest I don't notice it in the final dish. Other more authentic chorizo like I've brought back from Spain has a much thicker skin and in that case I'd probably do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

OP is asking about whether to skin sausages, not chorizo... if they are normal pork sausages, I wouldn't bother personally. Polish kabanosi-style sausage is also really good in jambalaya if you find that easier to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Skinless sausages = coddle sausages!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

I'd always skin Chorizo, the outer membrame can be a little tough to eat. Wouldn't with a normal sausage.

Saying that, depending on the brand, some are easier to get off than others. Only ever had problems with the Tesco finest one, but only on occassion.

Why did you give up on the Tesco chorizo? The guys that make Gubeen cheese make an interesting chorizo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I gave up on finding cookable chorizo in my local Tesco, there's sometimes stuff over near the cold meats but that doesn't cook very well, so it's just easier to pick up a pound of Tesco Finest. I've never seen Gubeen products in Tesco either, it looks like they're in the farmers market in Mahon Point in Cork, but I rarely get down there. Same with Lidl, there's one a short drive away, but it would be a special trip in the opposite direction. Not a real problem in the grand scheme of things, but to be honest a fiery spicy sausage works fine for me.

Tks all, I'll leave the skin on this weekend and see if it makes a bit of difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭mrbubbles

I do similar when I make paella, get the spiciest sausages I can find, take them out of skins and split each into 3 mini sausages. I prefer it this way as... OH GOD WHAT HAS MY LIFE BECOME >_<

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Any reason to remove the skin from a sausage you're slicing? Does it take in flavours better? Cook more evenly? Taste better?
    I would imagine it lets fat out, and flavours mix, and easier to eat as you are not coming across any harder bits.

If you are talking about regular squishy raw sausages I expect the easiest way would be to add them in whole, let them cook a tiny bit, then take them out and skin & chop them. That's only a guess though, you could try with one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

diddlybit wrote: »
    The guys that make Gubeen cheese make an interesting chorizo.

I've found that Gubeen chorizo while tasty burns very fast, even while on a low heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

dipdip wrote: »
    I've found that Gubeen chorizo while tasty burns very fast, even while on a low heat.

Only used it once, but I found that it wasn't quite spicy enough :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

I gave up on finding cookable chorizo in my local Tesco, there's sometimes stuff over near the cold meats but that doesn't cook very well, so it's just easier to pick up a pound of Tesco Finest. I've never seen Gubeen products in Tesco either, it looks like they're in the farmers market in Mahon Point in Cork, but I rarely get down there. Same with Lidl, there's one a short drive away, but it would be a special trip in the opposite direction. Not a real problem in the grand scheme of things, but to be honest a fiery spicy sausage works fine for me.

Tks all, I'll leave the skin on this weekend and see if it makes a bit of difference.

Iago in the English market also sell Gubbeen chorizo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I de-skin standard bangers for meals that require the meat parts to be combined with each other as in a big sausage roll or with other elements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

I actually did some work at a sausage skin factory, and was thankfully very impressed with their hygiene levels !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Dunnes Stores Chorizo is gorgeous and easy enough to get the the skin off too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Any reason to remove the skin from a sausage you're slicing? Does it take in flavours better? Cook more evenly? Taste better?

Usually it's due to religious regions and also that of hygenie.

Advertisement