Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

crate training

• 18-11-2013 7:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭

hi.i got myself new puppy 3 days ago.Its 7 weeks old golden retriever.i have bought dog bed,bowls,food etc,but run out of money for crate.
    So i had to improvise and placed 2 clothes dryers in corner.before you start worying-yes,i made it safe.
    so puppy has 2x2 metres personal space instead of crate.in pen there is his bed and heap of newspapers.Is that space too big and puppy will eventually make one corner as his toilet?
    is it good practice to let pup sleep wherever he wants? he just napping on the floor in random places.i would preferre that he would sleep in his bed.is that too much to ask?

also what are safe food treats for puppy of that age?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Necessity is the mother of invention op, well done on your money-saving initiative!
    Ideally, you should give pup an obvious toilet area in his playpen that mimics where you need him to go outside. A litter-tray type thing with a sod of grass turf in it is perfect... It needs to be big enough for him to stand on.
    And it's not a substitute for bringing him outside to toilet as often as you can... It's for emergencies only, or if you have to leave the pup for longer than he can hold on for.
    He's a bit young to have been taken from his mum, to be honest... Was there a reason for this? Pups who come away from their dam and siblings too early are more likely to develop problems around other dogs as adults, so try, try, try to line up friends with friendly dogs whose homes you can safely visit with him: as long as their dogs are vaccinated and their garden isn't visited by dogs of unknown vaccination history, he'll be okay.
    The more different sizes and shapes of safe dogs he can meet in the coming weeks, the better.
    Toy-wise, charity shops often have really cheap cuddly toys, and if the finances can stretch to it (or maybe Santa can come early?) a Kong Toy would be a great asset, stuff it with nice stuff, recipes are available on www.kongcompany.com
    Also tennis balls in socks, dried meat treats (not rawhide unless it is specified as beef rawhide, and not the bone-shaped ones... Those knots are potentially lethal).
    Toilet roll inserts are also good for a chew.
    I'm sure others can come up with safe toys on a budget!
    I'd be inclined to encourage him to get into his bed to sleep. He may not know what a bed is forjust tyet... It's much handier if they have a base to go to when they're tired, rather than just sleeping in random areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Mandzhalas

DBB wrote: »
    Necessity is the mother of invention op, well done on your money-saving initiative!
    Ideally, you should give pup an obvious toilet area in his playpen that mimics where you need him to go outside. A litter-tray type thing with a sod of grass turf in it is perfect... It needs to be big enough for him to stand on.
    And it's not a substitute for bringing him outside to toilet as often as you can... It's for emergencies only, or if you have to leave the pup for longer than he can hold on for.
    He's a bit young to have been taken from his mum, to be honest... Was there a reason for this? Pups who come away from their dam and siblings too early are more likely to develop problems around other dogs as adults, so try, try, try to line up friends with friendly dogs whose homes you can safely visit with him: as long as their dogs are vaccinated and their garden isn't visited by dogs of unknown vaccination history, he'll be okay.
    The more different sizes and shapes of safe dogs he can meet in the coming weeks, the better.
    Toy-wise, charity shops often have really cheap cuddly toys, and if the finances can stretch to it (or maybe Santa can come early?) a Kong Toy would be a great asset, stuff it with nice stuff, recipes are available on www.kongcompany.com
    Also tennis balls in socks, dried meat treats (not rawhide unless it is specified as beef rawhide, and not the bone-shaped ones... Those knots are potentially lethal).
    Toilet roll inserts are also good for a chew.
    I'm sure others can come up with safe toys on a budget!
    I'd be inclined to encourage him to get into his bed to sleep. He may not know what a bed is forjust tyet... It's much handier if they have a base to go to when they're tired, rather than just sleeping in random areas.

thanks for reply,but i was asking about food treat,not toys. something give him to eat when he is does something good.much appreciated anyway.thanks.
    also i read in couple of books that best time for owner to take puppy home is 8 weeks.also breeder assured me that pups are ready

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hmm, I think the breeder was mistaken, it's absolutely recognised and proven that 8 wks is the youngest they should leave their mother and siblings. The breeder should not have let you have the pup so early.
    Food treat-wise, it's hard to beat something as delicious, motivating, and tummy-friendly as chicken. Processed foods like sausages are probably a little too processed for a young tummy, whilst dry food tends not to be particularly motivating for many dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Mandzhalas wrote: »
    thanks for reply,but i was asking about food treat,not toys. something give him to eat when he is does something good.much appreciated anyway.thanks.
    also i read in couple of books that best time for owner to take puppy home is 8 weeks.also breeder assured me that pups are ready

Chicken! the best treat food there is. Dogs go mental for it. 8 weeks is the best time to take a pup, 7 I think is a little young. Post up a pic! Love Golden Retrievers! Good luck ;)

Advertisement