Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeding the dog first

• 18-11-2013 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

I keep hearing and reading online that In order to maintain respect and control over your dog that it's best to feed them after yourselves. My question is, is that true or just utter nonsense?

I feed my pup before ourselves purely because a. Allows her to do her last poop before we go to bed and b. we tend to eat quite late and people are always coming home at different times from work anyway.

Will feeding my dog after I've had my own dinner make any difference?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

It makes no difference.
    Dogs don't have any concept of these odd human rules as a way of maintaining order! Neither do wolves living in the wild.
    I'd suggest that you start filtering the websites you're reading, because any of them that say that stuff are also spouting a lot of other rubbish.
    Here's a place to start which will hopefully help you to understand why it's rubbish:
    www.dogwelfarecampaign.org

Your instincts are good, because you questioned the advice... It's always right to question anything that just doesn't sit right or make sense. Hopefully the above site will help you understand why your instincts set off alarm bells :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

That's nonsense that feeding dog after yourself gains respect. I feed our dogs before we eat (then share my own dinner with them - probably shouldn't do that one !). and they love and respect us greatly:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I feed the dog first. It's the only way, else he'll be making us miserable whilst we eat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I feed our dogs first in the morning, it's just an easier routine that I won't bore anyone with. I also let up on the sofa and walk in front of me on the lead, Cesar Milan would have a fit...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I feed mine before me aswell. She knows when I come in from work she gets her dinner. I have no issues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Cesar milan, who spends so much time telling us not to humanise dogs, then talks about meal times in human terms as a methods of earning respect.

Not quite sure how Mr Milan has worked out that a hungry and confused dog (they are eating, why am I not eating?) becomes respectful and under your beck and call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Mine get fed after we have our dinner so I can distribute the scraps between the bowls. Again apparently a mortler (mortal sin) as my great aunt would say but it works for us :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Moone doesn't have a feeding routine, She has no appetite at all and never has. If she's hungry she'll come over to me then stand at the sitting room door to go to the kitchen and if she's hungry she'll sit at her bowl and wag her tail. She hasn't eaten today yet and as she sleeps in the kitchen most nights (if she's not curled up in my bed) i'll just leave a bowl of Kibble and water out for her and she normally eats half during the night and will probably eat the rest tomorrow evening. She's actually a really polite little dog, right now she's on the sofa beside me , on her back with legs in the air fast asleep. Before getting on the sofa she'll get up up off her bed, walk really slowly over then sit and look at me wagging her tail, it's only when i say "c'mon" will she jump up.

So my point is I don't think feeding your dog after you've eaten makes any difference in how they respect you. I hate dogs sitting in my face while I'm trying to eat so Moone has learned as soon as I, or anyone in the house, sit down with dinner she has to go sit on her bed and she does so without being asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

My dogs have more of a routine than I do, so they usually eat before us as a matter of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭foreversky

Feed him in morning then around 6 ish .i have my dinner before,he will beg for some:-) when he sees me eating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Have recently started feeding the dogs around 12.30 - elderly dog wasnt making it through the night when fed in the evenings (Yuk!) - problem is now, that in the evenings, they have 'forgotten' that its not dinner time for them too, and have to have a snack. Then, as usual they sit looking sadly up at us eating our dinner (they always get to lick a plate each though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I feed my dogs before the kids.

Someone call Childline quick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I usually feed the dog while cooking my own dinner, usually when cooking the dinner you have a few mins to spare while waiting on things, so its a handy time to sort out its food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

1) My question is, is that true or just utter nonsense?

2) Will feeding my dog after I've had my own dinner make any difference?

1) Yes its nonsense

2) No

Advertisement