Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Timed with a calendar

• 18-11-2013 7:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭

Well, it's been a while

My last log petered out with the moral decline of DD :cool: - and my grumpily not running yet another marathon.

The January 2013 injury proved really really tough to shake (I'm still not 100%). Coming on the back of 18 injury plagued months ... meanwhile the rest of 2013 has not been a laugh a minute ... The low lights include :
    Lou died,
    Rick banished Carol,
    we had to put the 19 year old cat to sleep :(,
    Mrs P had to DNS the NY marathon with anemia - still a mystery,
    and ...
    my company folded. I got a new gig pretty quickly but it is a 43 mile (one way) drive which seriously cuts into training - and life - time. Right now I stay in a cheap and nasty motel once a week to get off the road for a day. There is also a 5 mile loop of a lake nearby ;).

One of the few races I did in the last two years allowed me sneak into Boston 2014 - and this time I am determined to run it even if I have to walk the last 26 miles. Since I am 18lbs over race weight (how did that happen :confused:) and my longest run since January was a slow 9 mile struggle ... this is going to be interesting. Oddly on a run over the weekend I was about done with I was join by another guy and with him I managed another 2 miles comfortably - so some of the fixin' had to be done in my head. My aim right now is to finish Boston - targets etc, etc are for 2015.

One piece of running kit Mrs P and I did invest in that has injected some motivation is a vacation home in a small funky town (working farm out the front, ballet company out the back !) with 130 miles of packed earth trails following the Delaware River (oh yeah, I'm an exile). How can I not run that ?

Finally the log title. A running buddy on hearing that I am nearing the half century mark (in age) and a dodgy left leg rather unkindly said "They'll have to start timing you with a calendar". B**stard !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Saturday: 5.5 miles + 3.5 miles.
    Bit shattered so had to stop for walk+water break at park. Part of this is that the aerobic fitness is shot and part is that the legs keep wanting to return to their "comfortable" pace of two years ago !
    Sunday: 4+ miles.
    Was ready to call it after 3 but I met a friend and talking to him about his ironman plans kept me going for another mile+.

Monday: 4 miles out and back by the canal
    Tuesday: 3+ miles:
    2 slow miles with Mrs P (who is just getting back out herself), then 10mm+ and 2x100, 3x200m with same recovery distance.
    Feeble effort but the point is to get the lungs moving legs used to turning over with some intensity. More stride than true interval.

4 day running and my leg/knee is ok ! Happy days ! <insert balloons and ticker tape> I think 20-25 gentle miles this week would be a decent start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

So great to see you back:D:D
    Poor Mrs P:mad: I think you guys should stay away from New York marathon, it doesn't seem to work out for you;) Congrats(sort of;)) on the new job, sounds like Boston training will be perfect for destressing after all those car journeys.

I'm also really sorry about the cat, I'm sure it was very hard.

Looking forward to keeping up with your training:)

Marthastew wrote: »
    So great to see you back:D:D
    Poor Mrs P:mad: I think you guys should stay away from New York marathon, it doesn't seem to work out for you;) Congrats(sort of;)) on the new job, sounds like Boston training will be perfect for destressing after all those car journeys.

I'm also really sorry about the cat, I'm sure it was very hard.

Looking forward to keeping up with your training:)

Good to be be back.

Yeah ... all very strange...Mrs P found herself unable to complete a five mile run with her clubmates. It was an iron deficiency but still no explanation which is a bit unnerving. The house looked like an scene from a medical soap for the summer.

*sigh* I know I should be grateful to be employed .... but ....

The damn cat used to pee over my clothes (and running gear) given any chance in the early years. He was lucky not to meet his maker permaturely ! Still ....

Wednesday: 20 mins on the stationary bike.
    Just to keep the legs turning over.

Thursday: ~5 miles. Garmin: 4.61 miles @ 8.58/mile
    Ran a pack dirt trail around a reservoir near the office. Chilly morning - just below freezing. Garmin had a tough time with the trees and did not pick up a signal for a while. A little surprised at the pace, though I did have to stop briefly once or twice to check the trail. Since the garmin could not get a satellite I decided to just use time to alert me when the loop was complete and keep an eye out for the car. So I was not too happy when it announce the the battery was low after 25 minutes !! I had fully charged it the day before.

Very pretty in parts ... not so pretty when the trail runs along side a busy county road for about 3/4 of a mile :confused: (one of the stops to double check the trail). A few alarmingly big rustles in the bush as I went by (there be bears hereabout I think) but the only wildlife was a chipmunk who rudely cut me off.

Actually felt pretty good for much of this.

Friday: 4 miles, w/ 4 100 strides thrown in at the end.
    The strides were a cautious attempt to stretch the legs out a bit. Tbh, this effort pretty much left me winded :o.

Satuday: ~11 miles.
    My first double digit run in almost a year:). An out and back on a canal two path the D&R canal one side and the the Delaware River on the other. Pretty much ideal running. I did find it a bit disconcerting to be so alone for most the run.
    Attempted to keep the HR below 140 (MP should have me hitting 142-145) for the duration. Actual - I kept it below 140 for the first two miles only ! It was at about 145 near mile 8, withe the pace dropped back to close to 9m/m. After that ... the Garmin died, and I needed a couple of short walk breaks. Still happy enough. I'm not fit - no surprise there !

Sunday: ~5 miles.
    Yikes - winter arrived overnight. Slow meandering run to explore some new routes. Garmin died again ...

Week: 31 miles

More than planned

• Advertisement

Monday: 5+ miles.
    Winter is here - sunny but 22f as I set off this morning. Garmin died again - clearly the Garmin is ticked off about being neglected for most the year and is in a massive sulk. Either that or it needs a new battery.
    After I stopped the ligament was sore - nothing too serious, but the warning sigh is there so need to ease off again.

Tuesday: 4 (unremarkable) miles
    Thursday: 6 miles.
    Friday: 4 miles
    Beautiful run along the canal, cut short by the sun going down. On my return followed by http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87780675&postcount=527 *sigh*. It is hard to stamp authority on a situation standing on a porch in tights, bright orange shirt and woolly hat.
    Saturday: 2 miles
    Spent half the day dealing with the moron who came calling via the living room wall yesterday, and the crew he sent to repair and clean up.
    After a half mile the leg began to react again. Had to shut it down... but restarted a slow jog to link up with Mrs P. Not a great day.
    Sunday: 13+ miles, Pace 8.49
    Fantastic run along both canals. The surface got worse the further north I went, going from packed earth to legitimate "trail". Leg held up, weather was beatiful and my living room wall is intact - happy days.

Week: 34 miles. Not a great return from a three working day week, but so it goes. I'm a bit uneasy because it is 20 weeks to Boston and I'm still having problems with the leg. Not really sure there is much I can do other than hope for the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Well, it's been a while

My last log petered out with the moral decline of DD :cool: - and my grumpily not running yet another marathon.

:eek::(
    But, but, but....I swear, I've cleaned up my act. ;)

I don't know who Lou, Rick or Carol are....sorry about your cat, wife, and your job....BUT, I'll see you in Boston!! Whoop whoop!!!

So, so, so glad you are back logging. This place was not the same without you. :):D

Dory Dory wrote: »
    :eek::(
    But, but, but....I swear, I've cleaned up my act. ;)

I don't know who Lou, Rick or Carol are....sorry about your cat, wife, and your job....BUT, I'll see you in Boston!! Whoop whoop!!!

So, so, so glad you are back logging. This place was not the same without you. :):D

Surely there is only one Lou ... sweet Lou.... Waitin' for the man, Sweet Jane, Coney Island Baby, Perfect Day, Halloween Parade .... Reed.

Rick and Carol: The Walking Dead. Where I learned my current running stride.

Boston ... hopefully fingers and ligaments crossed.

Surely there is only one Lou ... sweet Lou.... Waitin' for the man, Sweet Jane, Coney Island Baby, Perfect Day, Halloween Parade .... Reed.

Rick and Carol: The Walking Dead. Where I learned my current running stride.

Boston ... hopefully fingers and ligaments crossed.

We will hook up in Boston and show them how it's done. ;):)

• Advertisement

We will hook up in Boston and show them how it's done.

Ehhh ... don't look at me boss ... I haven't a clue how it's done :o

Monday: 4 miles along the D&R canal.

Tuesday: 5 miles.
    Finished off with with 2*400m just to see where the legs are these days. 1.32/1.34 and I was out of gas ! It seems a long long way back right now.

With the days now close to their shortest my time to run is feeling very squeezed. I can hear the treadmill calling :(. My (seemingly) endless commute is also beginning to take a toll. So today I could not persuade myself out of bed and did a short core routine to stop feeling quite so guilty.

My biggest issue is that I have to get my weight under control. The new office is located in the gap between "nowhere" and "strip mall central". This is soul destroying exurbia **shudders**. There are no good food options. So food is a daily struggle leaving me eating my own body weight in food when I finally do get home. I am 18lbs over my 2011 race weight and making no progress in getting it under control. Until I can figure out a solution to this progress on picking up the pace will be limited.

Thursday: 6 miles Pace: 8.26
    Very thick fog. Intended to do 6 miles. Ran a loop of the reservoir near the office. Unfortunately not very scenic this morning and had to keep a sharp eye out to avoid coming on people (and dogs) abruptly out of the mist. At the end of the loop (5 miles) there was period of panic when I could not find the car !!! Don't know the area and wit
    So while the running stopped the heart rate did not drop at all. Eventually I stumbled into the section of the parking sprawling parking lot where my beloved little Altima was waiting. I am still not sure where I entered the lot relative to where the car was. Finished off with a half mile out and back to reach 6.

Happily the middle miles were 8.01, 8.05, 8.18. I was working but it's nice to start seeing some lower figures showing up.

On less good news the ligament is aching again :mad:. Surely not ?

Friday: 4.5 soggy miles Pace: 8.25

Pace is starting to inch down a bit. Takes two weeks for fitness effects to be seen so hopefully next week comfortable pace and HR will start to drop. Leg was not good post the run - this seems to be the pattern. At what point do I need to back off ? Not sure -I should be conservative but it is so hard to back off having just got started again.

RIP Madiba. Sadly, I'm not sure his like will be seen again.

Saturday: 15 miles (5.8 & 9+).

Did 5 miles with 1 .5 hill loops. Then joined my old club's Saturday run. This route begins with a flat miles but then gets into a 1.5 mile gradually steepening hill with a few short down hills to recover. We think of it as Verrazzano in honour of the bridge at the start of NY. Well I used to find this hard but manageable. But now ... at 2/3 up I was calling for my mammy! Managed to get up to the group rendezvous point having recovered some of my dignity. Then I discovered that the small group that trailed me had left the run leaving me with to run with a (recent) former college runner and a guy keeping pace with him :(.
    Nice to run with a group again .... well "with" in this context meaning: able to keep them in sight - most of the time.
    Pace dipped close to 8m/m for a few miles but had to dial it back and was pretty much spent by the end. After felt like I had done more like 23-24 miles instead of a split 15. However highest mileage day since injury.

Sunday: 5 miles.
    Tried to keep it easy, easy, (about 9m/m) but the pace was erratic. Thought that 5 miles gave me a 40 mile week but...

Week summary: 39.5 miles !
    Nothing fancy just building the miles back up. I'm breaking the 10% rule but starting at such a low basis I have to push it a bit. I think I am a bit scared of pain (not the **** there goes the leg again pain rather the "my lungs are going to burst" pain). Have to get past this.

Monday: nada ... Woke up to find that yesterdays snow had frozen. No running with these conditions underfoot and no gym membership.

Tuesday: 6 miles - treadmill.

Lethal underfoot so took off to the gym. The "fancy" gym where you need an advanced engineering degree to operate the treadmill. Finally got it going and trundled through a little progression session, Beginning at 9.40 pace and peaking at 8.06 pace between 1-2% incline.
    Wow - that was though going. Found it much harder than running outside. I may have to focus on the treadmill for a while as a way to force myself to hit and hold a pace.
    Followed up by a short swim before I had to go and fake working for a living.

30 minutes eliptical session. With the weather as it is I need to do whatever, whenever I can.

Wednesday: 20 mins on stationary bike :(

Overslept ... 'cause someone switched my alarm off :mad:... again :mad::mad: so no time to get the gym. Snow due again on Friday - this is going to be a low an even lower mileage week. What can you do ?

Thursday:
    am. Shoveling snow :(
    pm 45 minutes of shaking ceiling plaster loose on the elliptical in the attic

Friday: 5 miles treadmill
    Again - it's cold - I mean really really cold so back to the gym. My first t/m did not have have incline working so after struggling with settings I moved to the next machine. Immediately the woman on the the neighboring machine stopped, walked to the next bank of treadmills and resumed her session :confused:. Seems I make an impression ! Otherwise, the 5 miles reminded me again how unfit I am though I did manage one mile at sub 8 pace. Part of me wonders if I just forgotten that I had to work hard - in my memory it seems so easy - is it just that I was used to the effort so it did not make any impact.

Having gone through previous injury recoveries I would have expected the weight to start dropping. But not this time. 400 miles of driving a week to an office in the middle of nowhere with no healthy food choices nearby (maybe I am be onto a cause of the obesity problem ?) is not helping. If I have to choose between the job and running in the new year ... well I know which one I prefer :D!

I've forgotten to bring my deep winter gear with my so tomorrows morning's run out at the new place is going to be tricky before I get ready to shovel another 4-8 inches of snow **deep sigh**.

I'd love to get 16 miles in tomorrow but not sure that's realistic unless the road/trail surfaces are favorable.

Scarey that we are only in December. If the rest of winter is like this I can see myself having a Shining moment :D

Yep, not thrilled with this snow/ice either! I'm very much chicken little when it comes to running on sneaky slick surfaces. And like you, I find the treadmill horribly hard going - seems like more effort is required than the unencumbered going of running in the greater out of doors. :)

Oh, and how rude of that woman to change treadmills. Or, maybe she was having embarrassing digestive issues she was saving you from being subjected to. :D

Saturday: 10 miles Pace 10+m/m :o

Had planned to try to hit 16 miles. Conditions underfoot along the canal were slippy especially where people had been walking. It was already snowing when I started so I quickly decided to just trot along at a safe pace.

When I got a little further out of town onto undisturbed snow it got a little easier. At about 6 miles I spotted a large dog walking on the ice on the canal surface. I was wondering what idiot allowed their dog out on very thin ice when I realized it was actually a doe fawn. I had to slow to a walk for fear of frightening the doe fawn into crossing the canal again and onto the road on the far side. The doe fawn clambered onto the tow path in front of me and remained still looking at me. Probably trying to figure out what this species was - with a sky blue hat, red face, bright orange shirt and floppy sweat pants - I can understand the confusion.
    doe.jpg

I rarely carry a phone but tucked on in my pocket this time. I though this would be much better but if you have 20/20 vision you might be able to spot my friend on the left hand side of the path.

Eventually he decided to head back into the forest on the right. And I resumed my shuffle home.

A fun run if not much of a training session.

Below the Delaware River where the white water begins.
    delaware.jpg

Sunday: 45 mins bike, 30 mins eliptical

ice, travel time and social obligations meant no running again. Hit the bike in the afternoon, went to a holiday party - had to leave again due to a family emergency - hopped on the eliptical at 10pm to kill off time waiting for a phone call.

Week: 21 miles (w/miscellaneous cross training)

Well that was a bit a disaster ! Not exactly the 40 miles+ I was hoping for. Not feeling very positive about Boston right now - have to take things day by day.

Monday: 5 miles (t/m) Pace: 9.20-7.35

Back to the gym. Think most of my weekday running will be on the treadmill for a while. This actually went ok. I was able to hold a 7.35 pace for the last .5 of a mile without feeling terrible. Average pace was probably just under 9m/m.

Since I am on the treadmill and have limited time I will try to use the t/m to get some faster work in. No way to know where my LT pace is these days so it's hard to judge but on feel I'd guess it is not too far below 7.30 so I might try mile intervals at that pace and see what happens.

Short swim (10 lengths) to finish up. Curiously the pool was empty at 8.30am. Where are all the tri folks ?

• Advertisement

Tuesday: 6 miles hills (50%) t/m
    Ok - though the leg was a little achey after this session. Also unfortunately there is not "downhill" incline on the t/m ... would be very useful for Boston.

Lost my swim cap so no swimming until I can find a replacement - pool rules even for the folically challanged like myself :(.

Wednesday: 5 miles t/m
    Easy pace 8.40 - 9.40mm

Thursday: 5 miles tempo intervals t/m
    1 mile w/u, +
    .5 @ 7.30mm + .5 recovery @10mm
    .75 @ 7.19mm + .5 recovery @ 10mm
    1 @ 7.08mm + .5 recovery @ 10mm
    .5 @ 6.49mm

Happy enough with that. Only had the mph on the treadmill to guide me so the pace was a rough guess. We'll try to push the distances out to complete mile intervals and try to get closer to 6 miles as time goes on.

I am particularly happy to be getting some consistency back into my running - though it is hugely physically draining combined with the daily commute.

I seem to have adjusted to the treadmill. I am finding it a lot easier than it was at the beginning. In fact I may continue to use the t/m for tempo sessions for a while as I experiment with pace. It is above freezing here today so I'm hoping that it will thaw sufficiently to allow a long run this weekend.

Wait ... I have to run outside ...?

So I mentioned consistency ? **sigh**

"Stuff" meant no more running last week so another massive weak ...

Week: 21 miles :(:(

Gave some serious though to pulling the plug on Boston as I can get my hotel deposit refunded until the 31st. With the lack of base, the new job, the new house and a bunch of other things on the go I'm not sure I can realistically train for a marathon.

With serious reservation I've decided to banish negative thoughts and continue on - at least for the moment,

So the week of Festivus, complete with the 'Airing of Grievances" and 'Feats of Strength" :rolleyes:

Tuesday: 10 miles
    Really helped out by meeting a friend who made made the last few miles a relatively easy,

Slightly bizzare encounter with the resident falcon. I was running 2 mile loops of the local park when I spotted him standing on the ground (which in itself seemed odd). But then it started to follow me !! It flew from tree to tree mirroring my route. At one point it seemed to "fall" out of a tree. I was so surprised that I let out a yelp as I though it was about to hit the ground before it recovered and landed in the next tree.
    On my next loop he had disappeared. I wondered if he was injured/ill but I'm not sure who you call for a wild bird of prey ?

Wednesday: 8 miles.
    My present to myself was a couple of hours in frigid conditions. Surprising number of runners out - think there were newly unwrapped watches, and other gear getting their first outing.

Thursday: 6 easy miles.
    Well as easy as anything is these days...

Hope every one had a great Christmas/Holidays/Other ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

I'm not sure who you call for a wild bird of prey ?

God ;)

God ;)

I'm hoping s/he is busy working on my damn ligament :D

Birds of prey....if you have a veterinary clinic you use for your tamed, domestic, furry companions, you can always give them a ring and ask who to call if they don't deal with raptors. (it usually takes a special license to care for wildlife) Here in Virginia, we have wonderful non-profit, The Wildlife Center of Virginia, that cares for injured/orphaned wildlife of all kind...and I imagine New Jersey has a similar outfit. I did a quick google and found this, but I don't know how reputable they are - http://theraptortrust.org/ . Any way, just a few ideas for you. :)

Regarding Boston, I say just do it! Boston is not really conducive for fast times and pbs....so just do this for the love of running, for the magnitude that is Boston, and for what this year represents. Help us exorcise the demons. Be part of this moment. Do it for those who lost so much last year, and for those who are still dealing with the trauma, whether it be physical or emotional. Help us to celebrate life. This year will be very tough, but very special. :)

Birds of prey....if you have a veterinary clinic you use for your tamed, domestic, furry companions, you can always give them a ring and ask who to call if they don't deal with raptors. (it usually takes a special license to care for wildlife) Here in Virginia, we have wonderful non-profit, The Wildlife Center of Virginia, that cares for injured/orphaned wildlife of all kind...and I imagine New Jersey has a similar outfit. I did a quick google and found this, but I don't know how reputable they are - http://theraptortrust.org/ . Any way, just a few ideas for you. :)

Thanks for the info ! I did some research and it is a red tailed falcon. I've had a few close encounters with this pair of birds before. ( Mrs P named him "Shorty" - don't ask:rolleyes:.) We have a very small wetland preservation area here. It is a very unpromising area sitting under the NJ Turnpike Holland Tunnel extension. But amazingly there have been appearances by several endangered birds so I try to keep an eye out (and get into rows with idiots who unleash their dogs in there). But it seems the behavior of following people is not unknown. The hope is that the person will disturb some small animal suitable for breakfast ! There is "falling" behavior but it is associated with mating (no alcohol involved unlike humans).
    So ... I'm going to keep an eye out - not sure there is more I can do at this point.
    Regarding Boston, I say just do it! Boston is not really conducive for fast times and pbs....so just do this for the love of running, for the magnitude that is Boston, and for what this year represents. Help us exorcise the demons. Be part of this moment. Do it for those who lost so much last year, and for those who are still dealing with the trauma, whether it be physical or emotional. Help us to celebrate life. This year will be very tough, but very special. :)

Yeah. Mrs P agrees. I had some qualms signing up given my doubts about making it given the year that was in. In all seriousness I have doubts about how cathartic this year will be. Running has always been a pretty selfish thing for me. In any event just feeling pulled in so many different directions right now and I am not getting the training in to complete ( could not even dream of PBs at least 6 months from thinking about PBs ! ) I would hate Boston not to be a positive experience.

Friday: 2.5 miles
    Sandwiched between sun rise and the insulation contractors arrival.

Off to Cape Cod tomorrow and some of my favorite running routes ( of course this is where the injury that kept me out of Boston 2013 occurred !!). Fingers crossed.

Sunday: 11 miles.
    Through the Provinceland at the tip of Cap Cod. Very hilly run from the town to the airport following the bike path through the dunes. Great run but as ever the hills triggered ligament problems as it was pretty slow.

Noticed a new warning sign up :

sharks.jpg

Poor seals :eek: !

Week total: Another poor week for mileage. 37 miles

Monday: 13 miles.
    Similar run to Sunday. Rather though as the was a strong head wind until the route tucked into the dunes. Every time I climbed the wind grew stronger again. It was good to get it at the back for the final few miles back to town.

Tuesday: 6 miles
    6 miles in a snow storm.

Wednesday: 3 miles
    Short run with Mrs P before we left to stretch the legs after NYE festivities. Brutally cold, so we wimped out on the ocean route and doubled back through town. Spotted a fox crossing the road into the marshes. It stopped and seemed as interested in us as we were were in it. Seems like a tough pace for a fox to live.

So ...Happy New Year

Did not get out of bed this morning which again has me questioning my motivation. There was a time I would have bounced up before dawn and been chomping to go. I need to either get my act in gear or have a thing about what I _really_ want to do. E.g I have managed to shed noweight since October - and am still 18lbs over race weight. Half hearted stuff is going to get me nowhere. Mind you, a new snow storm starting tonight does not help.

It's been a little chilly here - so new resolve was put to the test and found wanting :(.

Thursday: Elliptical 45 mins. Wussed out on running in the morning
    Friday: Elliptical 60 mins. Snow followed by very cold conditions ( wasn't willing to test the frostbite in 30 minutes warnings ).
    Saturday: 10 miles t/ml.
    Oh ... the irony. About two hours cross training shoveling out our place and the neighbors. Later I went to el-cheapo gym with Mrs P. She chose her treadmill as I stashed our gear. The tv in front of my treadmill was showing ... %$#%ing skiing. I knew Mrs P had a twisted sense of humour but really .... Broke up the session with 4 individual miles at 8m/m. Cannot say I found it easy.
    Sunday: 10 miles t/m.
    Struggled through 10 miles @ ~9m/m

Holy tempo batman, the Boston 2014 thread update was a bit a shocker. It's now 15 weeks to Boston and I am beginning to panic. Neither the pace nor the the weight is showing any sign of dropping. Neither the weather or the job or the house is showing any sign of allowing me get more mileage in. My longest run in a year is 14 miles. I don't really feel ready to take on a training plan but maybe a cutdown P&D might see me around ? I'm thinking ~4 hours might be realistic and perhaps the target I should train to ? Hate to go and not at least requalify but that ship has sailed.

Week: 39 miles.

Work (now 8.30am calls with India in addiition to my 85 mile round trip commute :mad::mad:) and weather have ruled out running in the morning and running outdoors the new routine is elliptical in the morning and t/m on the way home from the office. Since I have to stick to the treadmill I am trying to drop in miles that are a "stretch".

Monday:
    30mins elliptical
    3 miles ( last 2 @ 8mm)

Tuesday: 30 mins elliptical
    6 miles (with 2 miles @8mm and .5 miles @ 7.30mm)

Really need to think about how to get some downhill work. T/m does not have a 'minus' incline. Serious hill routes require me to travel a bit which is not an option right now.

• Advertisement

Wednesday: am: Elliptical 30mins
    pm: 10 miles t/m @ 0% incline

The incline control on the only open tm was broken so this was all done at 0%. Is this the same as downhill .... so .... is this my downhill training for Boston ? Seems like a stretch. Managed to string together 6 miles @8.30 and 4 @8.00 pace. Even at %0 incline that feels like a bit of a break through.

Thursday: 30 mins Elliptical

Friday: 5 miles **outdoors** :):)

Stayed in a motel near work for an early morning meeting **hiss boo**. Up before sun rise so managed to get a five mile reservoir run in before the ice rain really came down in earnest. Found I had forgotten my shorts :rolleyes:. But after that last few weeks nothing was going to keep me from this run. So I tucked boxers (tmi?) under my ripped tights and set off (ladies swooned, I avoided arrest). While figuring the shorts workaround out I forgot my Garmin.

Great run - ran at a pace a little faster than comfortable across a "crunchy" snowy trail. Startled a herd of deer at one point; all I saw was a multitude of white tails vanishing rapidly.

So icy out there it took me three attempts to get into the office parking lot!

Saturday: 16+ miles Pace: 9.15

Finally - long run range reached ! In the bizzaro weather world we have it jumped into the mid 50s (about +7/8 centigrade) ... along with steady rain interspersed with torrential downpours. Worked on the house in the morning but by 2pm I gave up waiting and took off at the first lightening of the rain.
    The rain had made the canal tow path near impassable. So I had to shift back onto paved roads for a while and decided to focus on a sighseeing run around the town. Just as I ran out of paved road I could run on I noticed that the tow path was looking better so I found a lane that led back to the tow path where I found a strong head wind that probably cleared that path but made the run tougher. Surreal world - there was steam rising off the frozen surface of the canal (doesn't water have to reach 100C to boil ?) making for a spooky atmosphere. Eventually I started to hit icy patches and was forced to turn back. The steady rain turned heavy and then torrential. Had to take off the shirt and ring it out. Back into town at 13 miles and had to run up and down the streets of the town until the 16 miles clocked up when I turned for home.

Pretty happy. Finally got into long run territory. Was able to toughen up and get the last few miles done despite being cold, wet and and having to run past the house twice. Did not feel the tank was empty.
    Leg was pretty sore once I cooled down but that seems to be something I have to live with. So ... all good.

^^^ Whoop whoop!!! :D

^^^ Whoop whoop!!! :D

Well ... maybe one quiet "Whoop". Another slightly louder "Whoop" if I can do it again !

Sunday: 4 miles

Slow run/walk recovery with Mrs P as she starts the comeback trail.

Week: 40 miles.
    Not too bad given the conditions and combined with a decent amount of cross training. Weight is the big thing where I need to start making progress, just need to get some momentum (good habits) going. Assuming the leg holds up I'll try to get to 45 miles this coming week and shift the long run to 18 miles.

Well ... maybe one quiet "Whoop". Another slightly louder "Whoop" if I can do it again !

Slow run/walk recovery with Mrs P as she starts the comeback trail.

Week: 40 miles.
    Not too bad given the conditions and combined with a decent amount of cross training. Weight is the big thing where I need to start making progress, just need to get some momentum (good habits) going. Assuming the leg holds up I'll try to get to 45 miles this coming week and shift the long run to 18 miles.

Welcome back Mrs P and Happy New Year to you both:D
    I'm definitely with Dory on the double whoop:D:D That's a solid LSR in the bank. Very best of luck over the next few weeks, the new job location and the weather and your comeback are big challenges but I'm sure you'll take it all in your stride. Boston is the perfect, perfect marathon to run for fun so you're sure to have a great day.

Welcome back Mrs P and Happy New Year to you both:D
    I'm definitely with Dory on the double whoop:D:D That's a solid LSR in the bank. Very best of luck over the next few weeks, the new job location and the weather and your comeback are big challenges but I'm sure you'll take it all in your stride. Boston is the perfect, perfect marathon to run for fun so you're sure to have a great day.

Cheers, I'll pass that on. It's tough as she's still struggling a bit, and there is no hint as to whether any run will be ok or "crash and burn". It's actually fun to run together - something we rarely do as I find the run/walk thing a bit frustrating.

Tuesday: am: 4 miles
    pm: 6 miles (t/m), hills, @8.30

Ohhh look a double :) !! Morning run in the rain. Evening : stop at the gym on the wy home. Took the hills option on the treadmill. I' convinced the heat is ramped up as I was finding it very tough towards the end. So a nice cool short swim post the run and all was well.

Started on a sugar reduction this week to try to get my weight down. Rough going. Sugar consumption increases in direct proportion of the decline of free time.:(

• Advertisement

Ummm .... think I've forgotten something here... like Monday !

Monday: 6 miles w/hill reps (iirc:o)

Wednesday: Elliptical 45 mins:
    9am meeting, and a "my band is playing tonight at ..." ended any prospect of a run. Band was pretty good.... but I'm no longer used to late nights so ....

Thursday: 6 miles w/5*400m
    ... pleased that I got up and did this. Decided to head to the track after a warmup as this is one first times it has been useable ( when wet I find it very slippy in ordinary running shoes). Need to inject some pace into the legs and try to help out the weight loss by upping the intensity. Did not bother to time the reps ... it would only discourage me. Thing was to get it done. Now ... need to try some tempo miles next week ... if only I could be sure what tempo pace should be.

Thursday: pm : 4 miles t/m & swim
    Friday: 4 miles.
    Mid day run. Nice, actually some warmth in the sun.

Saturday: 19 miles @9.09 Time: 2:57
    A weather progression run :confused: ... cool down, hail, snow, snow & thunder, snow, hail, warm up.
    Stepping out the door it was overcast but, oh boy, did it get nasty. Joined up with the club run and had very welcome company for 14 miles. Started to flag around mile 15 and was gutting it out once I was was left solo. Ended up running far enough away from home to mean that the return journey would get me over the 18 mile target. Over did it by a mile.

Mile | Pace | HR |
    1 | 9.16 ||
    2 | 9.16 | |
    3 | 9.06 | 131 - pause @2.16 for regroup |
    4 | 9.15 | 141 - hill |
    5 | 9.21 | 142 - hill |
    6 | 9.18 | 139 |
    7 | 8.52 | 138 - pause for regroup |
    8 | 8.40 | 136 |
    9 | 8.48 | 137 |
    10 | 8.48 | 138 |
    11 | 9.08 | 137 |
    12 | 8.58 | 137 |
    13 | 9.06 | 138 |
    14 | 8.57 | 138 |
    15 | 8.59 | 139 |
    16 | 9.20 | 140 - took gel |
    17 | 9.46 | 141 - stop for water||
    18 | 9.18 | 143 |
    19 | 9.29 | 142 |

So yeah ... I really tailed off once I was solo. Physical or psychological... probably a bit of both, but 16 seems to be about my comfortable limit right now.

Week: Total 53. Decent week

As a ps to Saturday's run .... I really did a number on my nipples. Vaseline was not up 19 miles with a wet shirt. Ouchy :(

Ok nipples aside ... this week is going to be tough between house renovation and work it is going to be tough to find the hours to get the miles in. So .... time to run faster.

Monday: 6 miles w/2 @tempo(?) + 1.5@tempo(?)
    Well, it felt close to tempo effort though I forgot the HRM and have not raced in over a year. Still for what it is worth

Mile | Pace
    2 | 7.22
    3 | 7.12
    4 | recovery 8.45
    5 | 7.19
    5.5 | 7.14

Slow, but need to (re)start somewhere. I really do think that in the back of my mind negative "fear of pain" thoughts are holding me back a bit. I need to go out bust a gut in a 6.** mile and convince myself that I can live through it - then do it again. But for the moment - I'll bank what adaptation I can can from the above and move on. Plenty of room for improvement :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Good session there especially after the 53m you did last week :)

Good session there especially after the 53m you did last week :)

Well, it's a case of getting sessions in where I can because it is now bloody cold here ( it's 9F as I type - that about -12C ... hurrah !). Another 8 inches of snow fell on Tuesday and immediately froze. So no outdoor running.

Tuesday: 60 minutes bike.
    Wednesday: am: 60 minutes bike
    pm: 7 miles (t/m) - pace from 9+ to 8m/m & swim
    Really hard to drag myself outside to even drive to the gym. I've decided that the gym is overheated so after a few miles I start to overheat, so the swim is a nice literal "cool down". But the corridor from dressing room to pool is not heated :(.

At this point I think trying a formal training plan is not realistic. I am squeezing in runs when I can -given weather, work and house rehab requirements. So I am thinking that winging it by "ear" is the best approach rather than frustrating myself by attempting to hold to an ideal training schedule.

PS: The SuperBowl is taking place about 20 minutes from here. Unless it warms up - this is going to be interesting !

• Advertisement

Thursday: am: Elliptical : 30 mins
    pm: 8 miles (t/m)
    Couple of miles @8m/m

Friday: 5 miles t/m
    Saturday: 10 miles t/m
    Broke up the run by running every third mile @8/m ... ran out of time.
    Sunday: 4 miles run/walk with Mrs P.
    No gym available, conditions outside were cold, slippy and grim.
    : pm Elliptical 50 mins

Week : 40 miles and a bunch of other stuff. Disappointing mileage ...weather .... blah, blah, blah ...

....weather....blah, blah, blah.....;) Tell me about it!!! Ugh. What a shock to my system it was coming home yesterday from sunshiney Key West!!! But you seem to be going pretty well right now, which is fab news for me as I want to see your perky patootie up thar in Boston!!! :D

..... perky patootie ....

:eek::eek: ... perky :eek::eek: .. me :confused::eek::confused:

I feel tempted to post a question in the main forum asking if anyone has trained for a marathon by focusing on shovelling snow ! tbh, I'm tired of hearing myself go on about the weather ... especially as it looks set to continue for another few weeks at least. I actually have put screws into a pair of shoes to allow myself traction on the ice ... but the temps have now dipped into frost bite in 20 mins territory ! Agggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !

Monday:
    am 60 mins bike.
    Pushed the resistance up on aged bike. this might have led to ...
    pm: 6.5 miles (2.5 and 4 miles t/m) & swim
    I had planned to do 8/9 miles but weirdly ran completely out of gas and after a second walk break decided to bank what I had and head to the pool. Not sure what happened ... did the bike session zap the legs ?

Pete Seeger has died. I'm truely gutted.

“This machine surrounds hate and forces it to surrender”

Well, that is that. I am out of Boston. The curse continues.

Life has allowed a total of 6 miles runnng this week. I'm simply stretched beyond breaking point between the commute, the job, and the new house renovation and the sale of my old apartment. I also need to start looking for a new job which is going to take even more time. So..... while I am bitterly disappointed I'm also a bit relieved to have finally given in.

I have run 4 marathons. In the last two years I have DNSed 6 times. I cannot see that I will be able to BQ again let alone get back to where I was so I think the time has come to retire from the marathon.

Well, that is that. I am out of Boston. The curse continues.

Life has allowed a total of 6 miles runnng this week. I'm simply stretched beyond breaking point between the commute, the job, and the new house renovation and the sale of my old apartment. I also need to start looking for a new job which is going to take even more time. So..... while I am bitterly disappointed I'm also a bit relieved to have finally given in.

I have run 4 marathons. In the last two years I have DNSed 6 times. I cannot see that I will be able to BQ again let alone get back to where I was so I think the time has come to retire from the marathon.

Ohhhhh.....I am SO sorry. I know this was not an easy decision for you, so I am sincerely sorry. But I also understand the relief you speak of, so smile and move forward. However, never say never. Enjoy what you do, but don't count Boston out at some point in the future if things fall into place. You just never know. :) I will miss meeting you.

Ohhhhh.....I am SO sorry. I know this was not an easy decision for you, so I am sincerely sorry. But I also understand the relief you speak of, so smile and move forward. However, never say never. Enjoy what you do, but don't count Boston out at some point in the future if things fall into place. You just never know. :) I will miss meeting you.

+1

sometimes real life has to get in the way of running. You have a lot to contend with at the moment and I'm hoping things get sorted out for you.
    In the meantime don't forget to use running as a relief from the stresses of it all, when and if you can get out the door try to get out for a few easy miles with no pressure of plans, pace etc. as Dory says, you never know what the future may hold.
    I'm reminded of a favourite quote from Marilyn Monroe .....
    Sometimes good things have to fall apart so that even better things can come together

Ohhhhh.....I am SO sorry. I know this was not an easy decision for you, so I am sincerely sorry. But I also understand the relief you speak of, so smile and move forward. However, never say never. Enjoy what you do, but don't count Boston out at some point in the future if things fall into place. You just never know. I will miss meeting you.

So come visit NJ ! When we get the new place sorted (and that's one of the problems) there's 130 miles of beautiful trail/tow path running ! And the Bucks County Marathon ! So you need to go whip the Boston course for me - it's become my great white whale.

+1

sometimes real life has to get in the way of running. You have a lot to contend with at the moment and I'm hoping things get sorted out for you.
    In the meantime don't forget to use running as a relief from the stresses of it all, when and if you can get out the door try to get out for a few easy miles with no pressure of plans, pace etc. as Dory says, you never know what the future may hold.
    I'm reminded of a favourite quote from Marilyn Monroe .....
    Sometimes good things have to fall apart so that even better things can come together

Thanks. Tbh if it had not been the last BQ I had in my pocket I would not even have tried a spring marathon. I had started to think I would make it, but yet another unpleasant surprise means there will be very little weekday running for the next few months.

I am thinking it makes more sense to tick over doing what I can and maybe look again once the days get to a reasonable length and do maybe do a few 5k/10ks for which I could make the training time. And maybe it's time to re engage with the club and try the cross country league in the fall.

Did get out for really pleasant 9 miles today across a very snowy tow path. I was not killing myself but still sobering to see the pace consistently around 10mm.

... we have lost one of my running heroes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/21/sports/toshiko-delia-gritty-runner-dies-at-84.html?ref=obituaries&_r=1

A close friend of my MIL and Mrs P, my running books are litter with hand written notes from Toshi asking how I was doing and making suggestions on injuries, training and life in general. She became a bit of a cult legend in Japan after there was a tv movie made base on her story in the 1970s.

I'm regretting not taking more time to share a run with her but she seemed indestructible.

Of course no service for Toshi. Rather a memorial race :).

^^^ Wow. She was amazing!!! :) I am sorry for her loss, but how wonderful she touched your life!

How are you??? It's been way too quiet over here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement