Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Timed with a calendar

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Dory Dory wrote: »
    ^^^ Wow. She was amazing!!! :) I am sorry for her loss, but how wonderful she touched your life!

How are you??? It's been way too quiet over here.

Quiet is it ! Nothing interesting to log, not like the blistering stuff going on over in your log.

I'm ticking over with *cough* cross-training and the very occasional treadmill session when I can get to a gym. Really I've thrown in the towel until winter is over. I was thinking this week but the temps dipped to single digits again and snow is due again Monday,

A lot of people have come out the woodwork with Toshi's passing, so Mrs P and I have committed to run the 10k she founded in her later husband's name on Memorial Day. I love this run and it's been a good course for me so if I can get in shape I will give this a serious shot. Actually I have signed up for 10k and 5k ("can you spell injury, children?") though I think a bunch of us who knew Toshi just jog the 5k together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Oh, the weather is horribly cold here!!! I am so sick of it, and, like you, have a very hard time getting out in it! Ugh.....and boo hiss!!! But on a brighter note, the 10k and 5k runs sound like a great idea!!! And I love the idea of a group jog for the 5k in her honor. Strength in solidarity! :)

So finally the winter is starting to ease up a bit (though it is snowing to the east of the city this morning:rolleyes:).

To summarize the last last month: Treadmill, intended 10 miles, managed 5-6 miles, paint dried a little more, occasional entertainment watch women's circuit training group .... rinse and repeat.

Daily early morning meetings mean that morning running is still difficult, but I've started to insist on working at home a bit so midday runs are now an option. Nothing serious in terms of sessions, just trying to re engage with running ( "It's you, not me") again.

last week
    6,7 miles on tm (tues-weds),
    6, 6, 14, 6 (thurs-sun).

So hopefully I can _finally_ get some consistency going.

I've been talked in a few 5ks, the first in two weeks :eek:. First race in 15 months ....likely to be very very ugly. So plan to visit the track this week.

Tuesday: 4.5 miles (7 * 400m)

Mrs P told me she need me to help her get out in the morning at 6.30am. Actually I suspect it was a crafty ploy to get me back into a morning running routine. Either way it worked and we headed to the track. 3 * 400 with 400m recovery, a two lap break then 4 * 400m w/400 recovery. Laps were between 1.30-1.35. About 8 seconds off my old pace but a place to start.

pm: 45 mins bike, going to keep the x-trainng going.

Wednesday: am: 4.5 miles pm: 5.6

Two easy sessions, An early morning session and a lunch time run. Lunch time run was funny ... A guy wrapped up in big bubble football jacket and basketball short overtook me, once, twice, three times .... by the time he did it for the fourth time I was tempted to tell him he was making me depressed. In fairness he was fairly flying.

Glad to see you shaking a leg (or two) here! :)

Thursday : am: 5 miles
    pm: 3 miles

Two gentle sessions.

My car died Friday :(, so that was that - lot's of walking.

Saturday: 14 miles,

4+ solo, 9+ with the club. Finally a nice day to run !

Sunday: 8 miles

The kind of run that reminds me why I love running. We were down at the new house. A couple of slow miles with Mrs P then on to the canal tow paths for a six mile loop. Turned out to be a more exciting run than I expected. I was attacked by a goose :o. It flew at my from behind and hit me on the back of the head. Sneaky. Apparently this goose had a problem with runners as I was told by the couple who were arming themselves with a large branch for self defense that the previous runner had been knocked down - twice :eek:. I do remember passing a guy looking a bit rough a little earlier. It was all very "Lord of the Rings" - with feathers.
    So finally have watched the couple edge pass the goose, I set off again. I stopped the next runner I saw to give her a heads up. She told me "no problem" and showed me her pepper spray. I have to say this county life is nothing like I expected - much more violent !

40 miles for the week ... given the car etc, I'll take it.

Next week a 5k, my first race in .... 15 months ... likely to be ugly.

Monday: 3+ easy miles

Tuesday: 5 miles w 4*800m
    There is nothing like a trip to the track to deflate optimism :o. Was hoping for maybe 800m reps sub 3.15, my plan was to stop once I went over 3.15 ... well maybe in the good old days:

Recovery was 400m due to time constraints; conditions were windy so that there was a direct headwind on the 2nd and final curve, and a sidewind that made holding the lane difficult on half the track. That being said times were:

3.16, 3.17, 3.15, 3.18

At 3.18 I turned and headed for home. Live to fight another day.

Wednesday: am: 4.8 miles
    pm: 3.6 miles

All easy stuff. Nothing special.

Thursday: 4 miles.

Early morning gentle run with a few strides along with Mrs P. Nice to see a few familar faces starting to appear now that winter is finally over.

Saturday: am Shad 5k: 20.58 (chip 20.55), 3rd

My first race in 15 months. A local race blocks from the new house so it was an opportunity to meet a few local runners. Much as I love running down there I miss running with a group. Route was largely flat, with a combination of asphalt and packed earth.

On the warm up I noticed a few Tri club shirts. As soon as it started, one guy headed off and soon he and the lead car were out of sight. From a little back I weaved to join the back of a trailing bunch of about seven. At a mile this was down to five. By 1.5 miles, one guy had opened a gap, and another two had dropped back, leaving me and my companion in 3rd/4th. I was dying - legs were fine but the lungs were burning badly. Gven that the lap pace was about 6.3x that was a bit disappointing.
    So I decided to race "tactically" and tucked in. Despite a couple of problems, - car on the route, and meeting a walker on the a single person bridge, but I was able to rejoin my rival each time. At mile 2 the pace had dropped to 6.52. At about 2.25 miles there was a turn around where I was able to confirm that I was 4th. So ... given how rarely the chance to make a podium comes up... I took off and was soon alone. But then came a short climb where I began to question my will to live, after that I was just hanging on and looking over my shoulder I could see the guy gaining on me again and worse still a new figure just behind him. Looking at the results I held on "comfortably" :o for 3rd.

Pace: 6.31, 6.52, 6.42, 6.18

Overall. Logically this result is an accurate reflection of where I am right now and given that I have done no tempo work at all and two track sessions I cannot expect better. Perhaps I could have pushed harder on mile2. Possibly a longer warmup might have helped. My lack of recent races really showed as I really did not think much about form, rhythm, race management ... it was all "how long more ... do I need to do this to myself". Hard to judge as there was only one sub 20 result on the day.

PM: After a recovery, (Fulham v Norwich), I took off to get my weekend mileage in. Again I ran my dual canal loop. Down one canal over a bridge across the Delaware river, down the Pennsylvania canal. All was going great ... until I met my nemesis from last week - the physo goose again. Unbelievably he tried to have a go at me again, this time I saw him take off and turned to face him at which stage he landed. But the minute I turned my back again he took off again. F*k sake - why does this bird hate me ?
    Finished off my run with an altercation with dog owner who offer to "kick your ass". Once again - I though living away from the city was supposed to be relaxing :confused::confused:.:confused:

So now I am about to head out for a run again ... and I have to avoid my usual route here or face that damn goose again. If I don't post again it's a fair bet that the goose got me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Congrats on the podium finish :D

I think the goose is just misunderstood - I'm sure he loves you really!

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

You're like an anti Dr Dootlittle! :P

Congrats on the podium finish

I think the goose is just misunderstood - I'm sure he loves you really!

Thanks. Probably should be embarrassed at bling for that time ... but I effort wise I earned it.

Not so sure about the goose ...actually I thought he was remarkably clear in communicating his objectives. I didn't stop to inquire about his childhood - we're not that close despite the amount of time we've spent together.
    cianc wrote: »
    You're like an anti Dr Dootlittle!

Yeah, but in fairness the dog and the goose started it :o

....and .....

Sunday: 10 miles @8.35

I caved. I did an out and back along the canal rather than my usual route - all to avoid another encounter with the goose. Fantastic weather ... maybe even a bit warm. I had to stop about mile 7 to get a drink.

Another week bang on 40 miles.

Hey!! Congtrats on the podium! Don't worry about your time, just enjoy your moment in the sun. :)

And regarding your angry goose, I googled solutions to ridding yourself of this pesky creature, and among the suggestions I found were - to get either a snapping turtle, a swan, or a border collie. However, the most "reasonable" solution for you in this situation may be to run with a Scarecrow Kite. I'm not sure if it will distract or disturb the goose, but it should work! :D

Hey!! Congtrats on the podium! Don't worry about your time, just enjoy your moment in the sun. :)

I realized that since I last raced I have jumped into a new age group (50+ **gasp**) ... so for a while I can claim every result as a new AG PB. Still, hopefully I get back to sub20 soon, and sub 40 for the 10k.

It also has allowed me to reset my training paces ... 7.10 approx for LT pace ( much more manageable than trying for my old pre injury pace).

And regarding your angry goose, I googled solutions to ridding yourself of this pesky creature, and among the suggestions I found were - to get either a snapping turtle, a swan, or a border collie. However, the most "reasonable" solution for you in this situation may be to run with a Scarecrow Kite. I'm not sure if it will distract or disturb the goose, but it should work! :D

Yesss... I see .... so the proposal is that I run with a flying scarecrow attached. Not sure this would work. With the fake owl I wear for the pigeons there might not be room for a scarecrow. ....'course if the scarecrow wore a gel belt I could carry a few more gels.

It is worth noting that this is one particular goose - a large Canadian goose - with which I have a problem. There are many other geese that I pass. Again we are not particularly close, but cordial, we would nod as we passed. So why has this one goose has taken such a dislike to me, to the extent that I provoke violence ?

Tuesday: 6 bmiles (5 * 800m)

Back to the track. I am trying to up the distance gradually each week. Based on the macmillian times from the 5k results, the new more realistic target times for 800m was 3.20. (Really, really trying to train smarter) So after a 1.5 mile warmup ...

3.10(too fast), 3.12(too fast), 3.18, 3.22, 3.21

with alternating 400m/800m recoveries.

pm: 30mins gentle eliptical

Heavy rain and winds made a late day run unattractive.

Wednesay: am: 4 miles easy.

Woke up to freezing temps and .... snow :eek::mad::confused:. Not a lot but enough to make the paths nasty. Combined with a biting wind this made this not a fun run. As I was finishing up the sun was starting to warm thing up a bit. Hope to get out a little later.

• Advertisement

Wednesday: pm: 5+ miles.

Thankfully it warmed up a bit for a mid afternoon run.

Thursday:
    7.5 miles @8.09

Actually felt like a runner today for the first time in a long time.

Friday: 4+ easy miles

Saturday: Run-like-health 5k: 20:27 ( 4.5 miles total).

My "Not the Boston marathon" race :). A small local 5k ... eh ..wait... hold on I see some familiar faces, lot's of club shirts ... what's going on here ? Turns out the alignment of dates meant this was the only race in the northern part of the state which looked like easy pickings in the state road runners grand-prix. So a bunch of runners rolled up to this little 5k. The course is relatively slow across a meandering wooden walkway and a couple of climbs, so no one comes for a PB.
    I was battling for position from the start, and quickly lost touch with the local rival I had hoped to shadow. Made up positions on the climbs, but when another of my local rivals floored in on the final 1/4 I could only get out of his way and the took me down by 5 seconds. 31 seconds off last weeks time ... so next one will be back under 20 ... right ? Realistically I should be happy enough ... but who's realistic ?

14th overall, 3rd AG.

Satuday pm: 6.5 miles

After hosting a post race gathering, I took of to clockup a few more miles. Not sure if this is a good or bad idea but the weather is so good right now I cannot resist.

Sunday: 3.5 miles

Spent the rest of Saturday and early Sunday wrapping, loading and moving furniture to the new house. So I felt very virtuous when I stepped out for a
    very gentle paced run with a stop to say hello to the nesting eagles who've moved into the neighbourhood.

Week: 45 miles
    ... inching back up to the 50s again. Will start to add some tempo miles in this week with a few races to use a basis for training pace.

Tuesday: 7 miles 7*800m

Back to the track. Legs were feeling a bit less heavy than the last time I tried this. Time was short so I did this off a generous 400m recovery.
    So target time was 3:20 per 800, based on the 20.55 5k pace. Plan was for 6:

3.16, 3.11, 3.15, 3.16, 3.18, 3.19, 3.25:(

Still had time so went for a 7th ... but either failed to commit or the focus drifted so ...I consider this to be 6 successful and try 7 next week.
    Was not completely out of gas at the end, so happy enough. Decision is to whether to re set target time to 3.15 based on latest 5k results or continue to add reps. Right now if time allows I think I will try to continue to add reps until I reach 10 before looking at the pace. The marginal benefit from clipping 5 seconds off the target time is probably less than add one more rep.

Overall happy with the progress. The priority is to continue and - the tricky part - avoid injury.

Wednesday: am 6 miles slow
    pm 4.5 miles slow

Really enjoying these slow double days. Probably junk miles but these days I have to be content with getting the mileage in anyway I can.

Thursday:
    6 miles w/3 @ temp

I have been putting off the re introduction of tempo miles because ... well they scare me. But based on the recent 5ks a suggested tempo pace of 7.00 to 7.10 range. So set off to do a minimum of 2 miles steady, 3 if it it went well.

Pace: 6.56, 6.55, 6.56

Overcooked. *sigh* I have always had a bit of a bad habit of "banking" time on the tempo run especially as I use a loop with some slopes. Even more so this time as there was a very string wind coming off the river. However, it is start. Plan is to add a half mile each week and re evaluate the pace in a month.

speed work, tempo run, long run ... this is starting to look like some kind of training plan.

Friday: 6 miles @~9.00

Calm windless morning. Up and out at 6.30am.

The bad news is that during the run an I felt an old familar ache in my left butt cheek. This feels like my old injury from two years ago. It's not severe and I kept going but it is worrying as I thought I was well past that particular injury.
    Not sure there's much I can do other than monitor it. If I have to shut down again I might as well throw in the towel. Really, really hope my mind is playing tricks on me and a session with the roller can work it out.

Time to find a chiro and have my hips looked at.

• Advertisement

Saturday: 13 miles total @8.45

3.5 miles solo, then 9.5 with club. Curious run .... turned out to be much warmer than I expected. Doubled back a few times early on to pick up a guy who was struggling on the early climbs. Later only one runner joined me on the longer route. At about 6+ miles she suddently upped the pace to 8.0x and I began to have to work harder. I took this as a sign that she was fed up with my small talk, but she eased up again in the last mile.

Really would like to be hitting 16 miles LSRs but real life continues to intrude.

The good news is that there was no sign of the "butt" problem although the ligament continues to ping occasionally.

Sunday: 5 miles

A very peaceful sunny Sunday morning ...

Week: 47. Nice to finally see a few weeks of consistent work strung together :).

Later to Toshi's memorial. Remarkable event, remarkable woman - many great stories. She had this tradition of taking off her shoes after every run and rubbing each toe while thanking her feet for carrying her so far.
    There was even a shirt :cool:.

IMG_0884.JPG

Tuesday: 8 miles ? w/8*800

1.5+ miles warmup. Then onto 800m reps off 400/800 recoveries as needed.
    Watch died after rep 3 :rolleyes:.
    Those for which I do have a time:
    3:15, 3:16, 3.18 ....
    The next three seemed a little slower (not helped by Mrs P making me laugh with "helpful" timing comments as I lapped her ). Hammered the last two confident I could finish the session.

I guessing 8 miles based on loops of the track w/u and w/d.

Wednesday: 5 miles.

Got out during what was a brief lull in the torrential downpours. Promptly misjudged a puddle and spent 4.5 miles squelching on water logged. Was nice to have the park to myself.

pm: No chance of a evening run so 45 mins eliptical.

Hopefully this weather will pass over or I'll have to head to the gym tomorrow to get a tempo session in.

Thursday: 8 miles 2w/u 4@tempo, 2w/d

Well the rain finally stopped, leaving a warm, foggy, muggy morning. A quick look told me my usual tempo loop was waterlogged so I had to loop the playing fields (1/3 of a mile).

Overcooked the temp miles again but since I completed the miles - no harm, no foul ? Still need to get this under control. It's hard to run by feel having been out for so long. I try to check lap pace about half-way into each mile and adjust ... but the "minor adjustments" is causing swings of up to 20s per mile as Garmin lap pace :eek:.

Temp miles: 6.55, 6.54, 6.48, 6.51

Friday: 5 miles.

Early morning, easy miles.

This break in the wet, cold weather is nice!! And I hope my times look as good as yours when I finally get back into the swing of things! Speedy splits there!! :)

This break in the wet, cold weather is nice!! And I hope my times look as good as yours when I finally get back into the swing of things! Speedy splits there!! :)

Just in from a 14 mile romp. Long may these conditions last. How soon before I start moaning about how warm it is :o.

Well (with due deference to your coach) tempo pace is supposed to be between 10k and HM pace OR the pace you can hold for an hour. So realistically ... these splits are way too fast and the problem is doing this can compromise the rest of the week. The problem is the legs are remembering tempo pace from three years ago and trying to get back ... while the central govenor is leaning over the balcony is shouting "Oi, are you trying to f**kin' kill us down there"

In short too fast.

BTW, I didn't realize you were in such discomfort going into Boston (unable to put weight on the leg without pain). Yikes - makes your effort in Boston a very brave effort. I salute you !

Saturday: 14 miles

A relay race of a type. Got messed around by a contractor so this was a set of 3 mile out and backs from the house so that I'd never be more that 20 minutes away when he called. Meanwhile Mrs P ran the same route so as we passed the person heading towards the house took the phone.
    Of course he never did ring ! :mad::mad::mad:

Sunday: 14+ miles

Set out to try to maintain my "can run forever" pace. So continually adjusting the pace to slow to never go faster than 8.30mm. Glorious day. I set of to finally track down a camp site on an island in the river. I had failed twice to find the path the bridge. This time I was determined and finally found it (had not gone far enough). Not your father camp site complete with bathrooms and working water fountain ! Nice discovery for the future. Even better I found a pedestrian bridge that leads to the far side of the river.

A little further than I wanted to go but I did allow me try out my newest nutrition experiement - namely pouches of baby food. I was really very skeptical about this but they seemed to work well for me, and I think I might find them easier to take ( guess this means that there might be another marathon something down the line). Oddly I felt a little better on the finish of this run that Saturdays run - go figure.

Week: 54 miles ... oops probably overdid it a little (broke the 10% rule) ... but I seem to have got away with it. This week I will reduce mileage. I have a 5 mile race Sunday so it works with the schedule.

Pouches of baby food??? Oh, do tell. :)

And yes, my fiercely competitive spirit rosy disposition concealed just how injured I have been. Not good. Especially when I tend to be too stubborn for my own good too optimistic to those who are guiding me in this process. This has been a hard lesson to learn....especially realizing now that if I had dealt with the injury via rest over 2 months ago, then I wouldn't have jeopardized my "A" race that is in 5 weeks. Lesson learned.

Pouches of baby food??? Oh, do tell. :)

This stuff : http://www.peterrabbitorganics.com/veggie-blends/carrot-squash-and-apple.php and other varieties. It's in the health food store I hit post run so I tried it and quite liked it post run. So I decided to take it on a run. Comparing to e.g. Hammer gels it has more simple sugar, less "sodium" and and no fat so it is probably not ideal. But I have never fueled properly on a marathon as I get to the point where I cannot face the sweetness of another gel but I find the veggie based versions of this good and the packets are very easy to handle on the run and there is no need to take with water. I might alternate with some gels or add the missing ingedients by tablet.
    And yes, my fiercely competitive spirit rosy disposition concealed just how injured I have been. Not good. Especially when I tend to be too stubborn for my own good too optimistic to those who are guiding me in this process. This has been a hard lesson to learn....especially realizing now that if I had dealt with the injury via rest over 2 months ago, then I wouldn't have jeopardized my "A" race that is in 5 weeks. Lesson learned.

Yes, ya see, this is the problem with whole American "can do" thing. I have this out with Mrs P all the time. It makes a nice change from Irish fatalism, but it can lead to get-rich-quick infomercials, over-training, the occasional invasion and training injury :D.

Two months ago ? I have to read you log again - or you kept that well hidden. Seriously. one big advantage of a log is that nice people step in tell me if I am doing something risky. It has helped. (my last few years are I think down to something "structural" that could not have been foreseen).
    Channel a little Toshi ( about 44-55 seconds in is a message for you). She hammered (very gently) this home to me over the last few years as I have tried repeated comebacks.

The good part is that it does come back. My first first (if you know what I mean) post injury run lasted 1.8 miles (yes 1 point 8) and left me walking home wiped out. Took about 6 months to get back to where I had been. As for 'A' races - it's not much fun .. but there's _always_ another race.

• Advertisement

Tuesday: 10 miles (?) w 9 * 800m

Trill, trill, trill ...., "Wha ...ugh, oh god", crash, "Naahhhh, staying in bed" .... ..... trill, trill, trill ... "oh all right". In short I did not want to get up this morning, but finally dragged my ass out bed and having dawdled about finally went to drop my water at the track. ~2 miles w/u. Then launched into the 800m reps.

During one of my recoveries a guy on the track started talking to me, so a few of my recoveries were extended to 800ms as he joined me on my recoveries and I didn't want to seem anti social. Once again I grabbed the wrong watch and the battery died after 4 reps:

So for the reps I do have

3.11, 3.15, 3.18, 3.12 .... and the other 5 who knows.

Guestimating 10 miles based on 34 circuits of the track and 1.7 mile warmup. Quite proud of myself for completing this one ! Now if I can sleep through a few meetings at work I will feel so much better.

Wednesday: am 6 miles
    pm 5 miles

All easy. Really nice runs, pace might be getting a little fast on these runs.

Thursday: 8 miles w/4.5 @ tempo

Was really feeling .... not quite right for this. Cannot say legs were tired, just seemed to lack a little zip. So, I spent a lot of the day putting it off. Sure enough it was a lot tougher than it should have been. No need to slow the pace this time, I had trouble hitting the mark (7.00) especially in the early miles. I suspect my body is telling me it is time to back off. So other than a race Sunday I am going to ease off for a week.

Miles: 7.02, 6.57, 6.57, 6.50, (0.5)6.51

Pleased to get this in and keep the momentum going.

pgmcpq wrote: »
    This stuff : http://www.peterrabbitorganics.com/veggie-blends/carrot-squash-and-apple.php and other varieties. It's in the health food store I hit post run so I tried it and quite liked it post run. So I decided to take it on a run. Comparing to e.g. Hammer gels it has more simple sugar, less "sodium" and and no fat so it is probably not ideal. But I have never fueled properly on a marathon as I get to the point where I cannot face the sweetness of another gel but I find the veggie based versions of this good and the packets are very easy to handle on the run and there is no need to take with water. I might alternate with some gels or add the missing ingedients by tablet.

Yes, ya see, this is the problem with whole American "can do" thing. I have this out with Mrs P all the time. It makes a nice change from Irish fatalism, but it can lead to get-rich-quick infomercials, over-training, the occasional invasion and training injury :D.

Two months ago ? I have to read you log again - or you kept that well hidden. Seriously. one big advantage of a log is that nice people step in tell me if I am doing something risky. It has helped. (my last few years are I think down to something "structural" that could not have been foreseen).
    Channel a little Toshi ( about 44-55 seconds in is a message for you). She hammered (very gently) this home to me over the last few years as I have tried repeated comebacks.

The good part is that it does come back. My first first (if you know what I mean) post injury run lasted 1.8 miles (yes 1 point 8) and left me walking home wiped out. Took about 6 months to get back to where I had been. As for 'A' races - it's not much fun .. but there's _always_ another race.

Hmmm....
    - the baby food looks interesting. And it tastes pretty good?? I totally know what you mean about gels being too sweet in a race, but I've found if I alternate between Clif shot bloks and Clif gels (either the chocolate, vanilla, or mocha) I don't have that problem.
    - yes, over two months ago. It's that cheery disposition thingy I got goin' on. :o
    - discipline NOT to run. !!! She's amazing. She was amazing. And what a beautiful person she was. :)
    - unfortunately some of us only learn the valuable lessons through our mistakes and struggles. I've learned mine. And I'm also learning patience. Ugh!!!!

Good luck this weekend. What race/distance are you doing??

Hmmm....
    - the baby food looks interesting. And it tastes pretty good?? I totally know what you mean about gels being too sweet in a race, but I've found if I alternate between Clif shot bloks and Clif gels (either the chocolate, vanilla, or mocha) I don't have that problem.

I find the Cliff shot blocks too big to manage. I have to choose between breathing and eating. Not really the greatest trade offs at mile 20.
    Dunno - I'm looking at the contents of the hammer gels I usually use and these things. Guys in shop asked me if I was buying for myself and told me that a lot of the local cyclist use them.
    Good luck this weekend. What race/distance are you doing??

It's my local club's 5 mile "classic". Last year I marshalled at a busy corner. Mrs P arranged a little surprise for me. She got a few of her running mates to stop and kiss me :o. Hard to maintain the dignity and detachment required of a marshall in these circumstances ... Ahem.

Anyway first time I have run this in a few years. Likely to be ... ugly .... but it is the next step.

Friday: 5.5 miles

Pace is starting to drop when I loose focus which is a nice problem to have. Still feel "unbalanced". Definitely need to find a chiropracter and get "adjusted" and see if that makes a difference.

So ... I sold my old apartment. One of the distractions of the winter finally off my list. Of cousre it would be so much better if the attorney had not misaddressed the envelope with the check and it sent off, and even better if the delivery service had remembered to get a signature on receipt :(:(:(:(:(:(:(. *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

I'm delighted to see things going so well on here!
    very best of luck with the 5 miler, I'm sure it will go really well, sounds a little like you wish you were marshalling and getting kisses though? ;-) Is Mrs P running also?

Marthastew wrote: »
    I'm delighted to see things going so well on here!
    very best of luck with the 5 miler, I'm sure it will go really well, sounds a little like you wish you were marshalling and getting kisses though? ;-) Is Mrs P running also?

Very happy to see you back - congrats on Limerick btw -and that Mr Stew is doing well. Yup, Mrs P is running but she'll have to find another marshal to chase around this year !

I hope none of those ladies you kissed just "happened" to snag a podium finish last year. (wink, wink) ;):)

Congrats on the apartment....but nothing is easy, is it? :rolleyes::(

Good luck to you and Mrs. P tomorrow. Fingers crossed your unbalancedness (is that even a word?) works in your favor and leans you in the right direction - towards the finish line! :D

I hope none of those ladies you kissed just "happened" to snag a podium finish last year. (wink, wink) ;):)

Ahem ** for the record ** they assaulted kissed me. I was strictly the kissee.

Sunday: HoHa 5 mile(?) Classic. 32.56 39th/ 3rd AG (3 miles warmup)

Well I'm actually a bit disappointed because - I strongly suspect that the course was short (and this race is organized by my own club). My Garmin shows 4.89 miles and my overall pace is much faster than the lap paces I saw during the race. So while I was satisfied with the result as another sign of progress on rebuilding fitness, this suspicion has taken the gloss off the race.

The night before the race I went down with a severe allergy (hay fever) attack. Whether because of that or not I was not feeling much zip in the legs in the run up. I then messed up my positioning at the start of the race and was really surprised by how slow the runners around me were when the start sounded. The course is quite tough - there is a 100 foot climb in mile 2, a steep descent followed by another shorter climb, descent and stretch of cobble stones. Checking my pace I was surprised to see that my pace was really only close to the pace I had been doing my tempo runs :(. By mile 3 I was struggling and tempted to cruise in, I was saved only by driving my self to overtake a couple of women having a ding dong head to head battle... and well then I could not let them over take me again could I ? But it was an ugly, heavy breathing, heel striking last two miles. I did benefit from shaking off some of my old rivals by shifting to a new age group so some bling for an AG 3rd place did soften the blow.

Getting back below 40mins for a 10k is the litmus test. I have a 10k in two week that I would like to targeted but that seems unlikely.

I think I may need to introduce some shorter faster reps to the track work.

Week: 42.5 miles

So, isn't this like 2 podiums in a row now?? Congrats to you! And I did the math - not a bad time in my book, especially considering you had that hay fever attack (yikes!!) and even if the course was short...I say well done! :) Of course perhaps there'd be a little more gloss on the race if you'd been assaulted kissed by a few random women. (strictly the kissee, my foot!) ;)

So...was it your birthday recently?? If so, then happy, happy birthday. Do tell, was there cake? If so, what kind do you fancy? :D

• Advertisement

So, isn't this like 2 podiums in a row now?? Congrats to you! And I did the math - not a bad time in my book, especially considering you had that hay fever attack (yikes!!) and even if the course was short...I say well done! :) Of course perhaps there'd be a little more gloss on the race if you'd been assaulted kissed by a few random women. (strictly the kissee, my foot!) ;)

So...was it your birthday recently?? If so, then happy, happy birthday. Do tell, was there cake? If so, what kind do you fancy? :D

Well, yeah, I am in a new age group. We decided to postpone cake until the new house (aka training camp #2) was ready - and that's taking a wee bit longer than expected. So cake is still pending !

Monday: 4.5 miles slow miles

Could not resist a run on the sort of morning you just wanna jump into and roll around. Stop to see the bald eagle couple (I keep thinking Sam from the Muppets) that has nested nearby on an electrical pylon.

Tuesday: 5 miles, Pace 7.51

Didn't get out in the morning - still struggling with allergies that is really making sleep difficult. So decided to head out after work to the reservoir near the office. Naturally I got delayed leaving the office. So by the time I was getting out of the car the sun was already going down. So with one eye on the sun I took off a little faster than usual. It seems that not getting caught out there in the darkness ( Bears are the big concern - they come remarkably close to the city ) so by the time I was was done I was working hard at about 7.1x.

Wednesday: 7.5 miles Pace 8.11

Again - missed the morning so this was an evening run. I drove over to a large park on the Hudson by the Statue of Liberty and did a loop and a half of the park in a light misting rain. Like last night the pace unintentionally dropped into the 7.xx range so I had to slow up, but still ended up a bit faster than I intended as I am hoping to fit in a mini track session tomorrow.
    Close to the end I realised that I had left my drivers license at home :( ... so I ended the run at that point and drove home .... carefully.

Thursday: 4+ miles w 4@400m

Bah ! Blown session. As part of the plan to inject some zip into the legs I intended at least 6 400m reps and maybe upto 8 depending on how it went. Circumstances meant that yet again I was creeping out hoping no one from work would notice I was not online so felt a bit pressed as ever. Broken sleep from allergy hell has bust my morning routine such as it was. Anyway all was going well until a family with a small girl arrived on the track and started "races". I was able to dodge around them until rep 5 when I realised that the snall girl was about to cut me off at the corner ... and threw in the towel. I could have stayed in the outer lane thought that would have involved more manovering later but I used the excuse to shut things down. Annoyed with myself as I had got off to a decent start:

Reps: 1.27, 1.25, 1.26, 1.26

Anyway ... it's a start and tbh honest I was thinking 1.30 would be close to the mark so happy with what I had done - though this was hard work

Friday: 6.5 miles

...of working off job frustrations :rolleyes:

Saturday: 15 miles.

New route pioneered in search of a town further down the D&R canal. Had counted on getting water there but ... no store, no bar, nada :(... nothing but creepily uniform immaculately manicured lawns. Turned around at 8 miles and headed home. Threw in one fast mile at mile 13 (7.10) .. next time we will try two. Arrived back at mile 15 ...
    not sure where the missing mile was (out an back, turned at mile 8 .. finished at 15 :confused:)

Sunday: 7 miles

Slow run/walk with Mrs P.

Week: 49.5 miles

Tuesday: 6.5 w 7*400m

Back to the track.

Reps: 1.27. 1.25, 1.23, 1.24, 1.24, 1.25, ?.??

400 recovery, except on the last rep where I had to divert to the water fountain ... and forgot to hit the lap button for the last rep. I'm sure it was great ... I'm thinking 1.19 :rolleyes:. Pretty happy with that session. Withoyut looking up my old log I think the times are not too far off pre injury times.

pm: 5 miles

Ok, so I should not do doubles on a speedwork day but this was my chance to run the reservoir instead of sitting in traffic. Wildlife up date: Saw a raccoon ... bigger than you'd imagine. Lovely run ... except for the insects ... it really pays to time your breathing in carefully along the water.

Wednesday: 7 miles

Found myself dropping from the intended recovery pace on this run. First sign of summer humidity left me dripping by the time I got back home.

• Advertisement

Thursday: am : 3.5 miles w 10X100m strides

Out to the track with Mrs P. While she takes a recovery walk I ran strides until I had lapped and rejoined her.

pm: 6 miles

Out to a foggy evening with the tops of the buildings fading in and out of clouds. Again I'm starting to have trouble keeping the pace down, which is a good problem in some ways.

Well, after talking about the value of honesty in logs .... Here's an entry I'd like to skip!

Friday: 1+ mile

Work issues meant that by the time I was able to think about a run a storm was closing in. After a mile a nearby lightening hit persuaded me to head home.

Saturday and Sunday ... Work coffee and junk food....nuff said?

Monday:
    Bad day at the office.
    Ridgewood 10k. 43.15
    Ridgewood 5k. 21.57

So those of you with long term partners know the dangers of "sure" as a response to muffled queries from a different room. So I ended up signed up for two races separated by an hour.
    The 10k was the target, the 5k I decided to run with a friend.

So preparations for the 10k were not ideal but I felt ok at the start and for the first three miles. I though 40.xx was realistic or 41.xx at worst. To put this in context I ran a 39.36 on this course a few years ago. I started feeling very thirsty at mile 2 and by mile was having trouble swallowing so I took water at the half way mark. Been a while since I practiced with cups so half up the nose, down the shirt etc. Then the wheels started to slow, It all got very hard and finally the wheels came off - I ended up walking. I got going again but it felt like mile 25 after the wall not mile 4 of a 10k. At a second water table I took water again and stopped to drink it all. This got me going again but left me with a stitch for the next mile. I did regroup a bit and mile 6 was respectable but the damage was done. Not sure what to say... It was warm ... 75f. (23c) but not terrible. Was I dehydrated ? It felt like that but the wheels came off after I took on water. Tbh, I feel I just bottled it - the only saving grace was that I did not dnf.

Did not hook up with the group for the 5k so I decided to try for a little redemption. Again I ran out of steam after a mile and mile 3 was a slog. But after the 10k I was ok with sub 22.

Worst results in a long time and it re opens the question of whether I am really making progress. Seriously bummed out right now ...but after a day off I will take the training benefits regroup and try again.

We stayed to watch the mile races..the men had a sprint finish in 4:04 the women in 4:42. Just so damn cool !

I did my field run yesterday morning around 10:30ish and I definitely noticed the "heat", and yesterday was slightly cooler than today I do believe...so, don't underestimate how much that may have been a factor for you today and your hydration as we've had no time yet to acclimate to the escalating temps. And honestly, after all that starting and stopping and walking and drinking, I'm impressed at your time. And my personal opinion is you are making great progress, so try and shake off those bad feelings and do your best to stop beating yourself up questioning yourself. You've made huge strides. Trust in your work, be patient, and your rewards will come. :)

I did my field run yesterday morning around 10:30ish and I definitely noticed the "heat", and yesterday was slightly cooler than today I do believe...so, don't underestimate how much that may have been a factor for you today and your hydration as we've had no time yet to acclimate to the escalating temps. And honestly, after all that starting and stopping and walking and drinking, I'm impressed at your time. And my personal opinion is you are making great progress, so try and shake off those bad feelings and do your best to stop beating yourself up questioning yourself. You've made huge strides. Trust in your work, be patient, and your rewards will come. :)

Naaawwhhh...it was warm but with low humidity.. if I cannot run in these conditions I might as well pack it in until fall :)

I'm a bit baffled to be honest. Why was I so thirsty ? I had no other signs of dehydration ... so the only conclusion is that I overestimated my fitness and died a death once I put in a couple of miles at 6.3x pace. Re reading my race report and looking at the splits (6.57, 6.38, 6.38, 6.58, 7.58:eek:, 6.57, ?) it looks exactly like a classic "went out too fast, died a death" scenario. The only difference being my expectation of being able to do better !

So .... as a result I have decided to start taking my heart rate daily to see where I am. I found a free HR monitor for the iphone. I tried it out comparing it the the results from the Garmin HRM. Amazingly it works - giving exactly the same result.

Tuesday and Wednesday were rest days - the decision being made for me as on Wednesday I had jury duty.

Thursday: 8 miles.

Nice afternoon run. Got told off by a crossing guard (aka lollipop lady!) for crossing (at a run) against the light. She apparently mistook me for a student from the nearby high school. I took off my had and glasses. Oh, how we laughed - her, perhaps a little too hard:(.

Friday: 6 miles.

Weird - this run felt waaaaay too hard. Pace was about 8mm but I faded on the second of my two three mile loops. Not sure what to make of this ... unless I am getting ill.

• Advertisement
Advertisement