Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for @Boards_ie / Admin

Options
  • 18-11-2013 8:48pm
    Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭

I'd like to know why @Boards_ie is following this Twitter account (https://twitter.com/boardseye) which was created in the first place to seemingly stalk, threaten and insult my good self regularly, including stooping as low to racially insult me and my family before deleting said Tweets? Not only just myself to be fair, but continually attempt to rile my fellow Liverpool supporting Boardsies too. Generally, the account is quite venomous and simply put, small time on most other topics other than Manchester United as it can be seen by the timeline presented.

Just to go into a bit more further detail. I was the first account Mr. Boardseye followed, but I had noticed the official boards Twitter account was following him before I accepted his request to follow me. Dare I suggest someone or some people at Boards, be that admin, CMods, mods or posters know who is running the account? Well, I reckon someone certainly does know who this cretin is, yes. I have more than an inkling as to who it is myself. It could be a handful of people, but for me, it's between a couple of individuals who I'll not name unless asked. I should state that I've also politely asked him in the past asking who he was on Boards, but he refused to say who he was. I can forward this conversation via Twitter DM if need be.

Lastly, let me just state, I'm well able to handle myself and insults at myself, but when it comes insulting my family, well it's another level as is for most people I'd like to think, and once again I question why this site's Twitter account follows such an account. I don't think stalking and racism is condoned here, maybe I'm wrong.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I was followed by BoardsEye at one stage presumably through Nuri's account. Granted, I was not abused or contacted directly by them other than a polite DM asking who they were when they first followed me as I didn't think much of it at the time. I had just assumed it was a genuine account of another Boardsie.

After some tweets showing their true colours they temporarily closed the account and I blocked them shortly after and had forgotten all about it until a few days ago.

Whoever it is hasn't targeted me like some others so I don't have any real beef with them on a personal level. More curiosity than anything though it isn't nice to see other Boards users who I'd consider friends getting abuse from them especially given they are followed by Boards, which is a little harrowing (see below).

3242a2f1fa03d607c8260e625be32c63.png

• Registered Users Posts: 45,482 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

This looks like bullying/stalking at the very least. Racial abuse too? :(

I hope the powers that be look into this.

Has the account just been deleted??

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Has the account just been deleted??

https://twitter.com/boardseye

Cheers, it's Nuri's link that doesn't work above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Said I'd best put this here instead of the LFC thread.

Be surprised if Boards didn't go with the whole, its social media we can't do anything, excuse. All the while, we had the fiasco about the Blasphemy stuff a few weeks back when somebody threatened legal action.

Its an awkward one for them to get into with regards to data privacy and a host of other things, so even though what the person is doing is despicable, I imagine when this gets passed up the chains, as indeed it will, responsibility will be put on Twitter, which probably means you using the report function over there.

Stuff with regards to the holder of the account knowing admins, or something to that effect, albeit infuriating, probably not a whole pile you can say and do on here without potentially getting your own access brought up for question.

All that said, if they're bringing in family members, something I had not known, then you've every right to go about getting this stopped in whatever manner you can.

Some people think just because they're behind a keyboard they can then be the vile human beings that they would never get away with being in a real setting.

Sorry to hear that you're caught up in all of this, quite probably through very little of your own doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I got slightly caught up in this last week as well. Boardseye started following me but I blocked him after a day.

I read through his timeline,decided he was a disgusting individual that I wanted nothing to do with,blocked him and thought no more of him.

The way he's treating Nuri and others is a disgrace though. I was very surprised at Boards following him.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It's say the most likely explanation is that the people in charge of the Boards Twitter account don't actually read anything boardseye tweets.

It's say the most likely explanation is that the people in charge of the Boards Twitter account don't actually read anything boardseye tweets.

Which would still be negligence on their behalf, right? Considering he's not exactly a quite user.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Just spent the past half hour glancing at this this accounts timeline. Seems just set up to abuse members of the Soccer Forum/lfc tread ( specifically Nuri) from a safe environment.

Not nice reading.

• Advertisement

Knex. wrote: »
    Which would still be negligence on their behalf, right? Considering he's not exactly a quite user.

Negligence is a nasty word. Who in the world has the time to read the tweets of 2,035 followers?

I'm not defending the guy. It's just a far more likely explanation than the "stalking and racism is condoned" line put forward in the OP.

Negligence is a nasty word. Who in the world has the time to read the tweets of 2,035 followers?

Its not like it hasn't been brought up on this site before. In fact, a few mod warnings were given when it was discussed in the LFC thread a couple of times.

Find it hard to believe that this is the first time the people using the Boards Twitter account have heard of boardseye.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

If you aren't going to read the tweets why follow them?

Also, surely someone using the name of your site in their handle would at least attract a social media manager's attention from a risk perspective.

Well, it should anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Negligence? Not a chance.
    Boards.ie can't and shouldn't be held responsible for the tweets of other people. Nor should the official Boards account following this person be considered condoning anything he/she says.
    It'd be a different story if the Boards account was retweeting everything this person said, but they're not.

I follow lots of people on twitter but I don't agree with everything they say. Just because they may say something that's out of order does not mean I'm guilty of any wrongdoing.

In my opinion, the only thing Boards.ie should consider doing in this situation is dealing with that persons Boards account (if possible), and banning them from here. The rest is up to Twitter to sort out as the bullying is officially happening on their site.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I'm not defending the guy. It's just a far more likely explanation than the "stalking and racism is condoned" line put forward in the OP.

Admittedly said in some frustration but mostly in tiredness at how this has developed over the past few weeks/months.

What I'm getting at is that they I believe they know who is running the Boardseye account, for the sheer fact they follow a select amount of people, most of which are to do with companies or charities and stuff of that ilk. Following Boardseye before he tweeted anything is a bit odd to say the least.

If they genuinely don't know who Boardseye is. Fine. I'll apologise when the time arises.

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Boards.ie can't and shouldn't be held responsible for the tweets of other people. Nor should the official Boards account following this person be considered condoning anything he/she says.
    It'd be a different story if the Boards account was retweeting everything this person said, but they're not.

I follow lots of people on twitter but I don't agree with everything they say. Just because they may say something that's out of order does not mean I'm guilty of any wrongdoing.

In my opinion, the only thing Boards.ie should consider doing in this situation is dealing with that persons Boards account (if possible), and banning them from here. The rest is up to Twitter to sort out as the bullying is officially happening on their site.

I said similar in an above post in terms of what I think they can do. But Xavi6 touched on it above, you would think they would certainly go out of their way to prevent a handle with Boards in it, especially for an account they follow (which could be seen as a form of endorsement), from spouting the vile and abuse that they have been doing.

Considering how tight boards were with regards to the blasphemy stuff a few weeks back, I'm surprised.

I said similar in an above post in terms of what I think they can do. But Xavi6 touched on it above, you would think they would certainly go out of their way to prevent a handle with Boards in it, especially for an account they follow (which could be seen as a form of endorsement), from spouting the vile and abuse that they have been doing.

Considering how tight boards were with regards to the blasphemy stuff a few weeks back, I'm surprised.

I agree, following the account is a mistake and most likely an oversight on Boards' behalf. I'd imagine that will be rectified quickly.

I doubt there's anything that can be done about this person having Boards in their handle though.
    I feel for the OP though and I hope this person is found out to be the asshole that they clearly are.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

IO and El Guapo! have pretty much nailed this from what I can see.

There's no way on earth you could possibly read tweets from over 2,000 twitter accounts. I follow ~200, I'm online all day most days and I'd say I read about 25% of my feed.

Given that anyone with access to the twitter account is unlikely to be in a position to access it outside office hours, nothing is likely to happen until tomorrow. I don't see the point in having a speculative discussion on this issue when the people who can actually do something about this aren't available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I don't really know much about it (well, I read some of the account's tweets).
    Would OP not have been better off emailing? I don't see this as really "feedback" and moreso with the business/publicity end of Boards making a mistaking in following someone.

IO and El Guapo! have pretty much nailed this from what I can see.

There's no way on earth you could possibly read tweets from over 2,000 twitter accounts. I follow ~200, I'm online all day most days and I'd say I read about 25% of my feed.

Boards is a business with staff who monitor a Twitter account, to compare it to your personal account is disingenuous.

They have actively followed an account that uses the word "boards" in the Twitter handle. Even curiosity, never mind risk issues, should have had them reading that person's tweets to see if the name was being used positively or negatively.

I'm sure it's the job of the social media manager to at the very least read boards' @ mentions and the account in question has been actively engaging with boards.

https://twitter.com/boards_ie/status/402447951752359936

And been mentioned in the same tweets.

https://twitter.com/mahockey1/status/400645896767307776

Sorry but the "didn't see it" excuse, if it is the line used, doesn't wash here I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

El Guapo! wrote: »

Negligence was probably the wrong word to use, and I don't think boards could be accused of any wrong doing but it does raise questions of why that particular account was followed especially before it had even tweeted anything...does the boards account follow other users accounts?

Agree with what you said about action being taken against the boards account though. The person behind the account obviously lacks any kind of conscience taking petty issues with several posters and posting them on twitter for a couple of users to have a laugh at. It should be easy to deduce the identity of the person behind the account as there are plenty of clues there but I suspect any effort will draw a blank.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Sorry but the "didn't see it" excuse, if it is the line used, doesn't wash here I'm afraid.
    The whole point I was making is that no one who actually knows what's going on is not going to be online until tomorrow.

Your post is so full of assumptions that I suspect are just untrue. I'm not aware of boards having a social media manager. I doubt every @boards_ie mention is seen. I also doubt that reading tweets about soccer is particularly high on their agenda. In fact, I'd say they react the same way I do when I see soccer mentioned in my twitter feed: tune it out.

That way, I can see how this episode may have been missed and I would expect this will be remedied when someone from the office is online. Tomorrow.

The whole point I was making is that no one who actually knows what's going on is not going to be online until tomorrow.

Your post is so full of assumptions that I suspect are just untrue. I'm not aware of boards having a social media manager. I doubt every @boards_ie mention is seen. I also doubt that reading tweets about soccer is particularly high on their agenda. In fact, I'd say they react the same way I do when I see soccer mentioned in my twitter feed: tune it out.

That way, I can see how this episode may have been missed and I would expect this will be remedied when someone from the office is online. Tomorrow.

That would be negligence then on the part of a company given the nature of the account in question. Generally you might have a point but it becomes a different ball game (pun intended) when the account is using your brand name. You should be interested in the content it's churning out for your own sake if nothing else.

My assumptions have as much possibility as being untrue as the ones you agreed with about something not being seen but you were ok with that.

But yes, we'll see tomorrow.

Edit: I may be expecting too much from the boards staff. If so then fair enough but I just would have thought that what is now a company which came about off the back of a social media platform would be all over monitoring something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Don't feed the troll.

It really is that simple, especially on twitter.

Generally you might have a point but it becomes a different ball game (pun intended) when the account is using your brand name.

Technically it's not though. It has the word boards in it. Not Boards.ie That's a different thing altogether. For all anyone knows, it could have something to do with skateboards for example.
    The only thing that links Boards.ie to the account is the fact that they are a follower and this person has been taking stuff from Boards.ie to use as ammo for his vitriol.
    The best thing Boards.ie can do is "unfollow" this person and disassociate themselves from him altogether. That way, he's just another gobshíte on Twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Negligence was probably the wrong word to use, and I don't think boards could be accused of any wrong doing but it does raise questions of why that particular account was followed especially before it had even tweeted anything...does the boards account follow other users accounts?

Agree with what you said about action being taken against the boards account though. The person behind the account obviously lacks any kind of conscience taking petty issues with several posters and posting them on twitter for a couple of users to have a laugh at. It should be easy to deduce the identity of the person behind the account as there are plenty of clues there but I suspect any effort will draw a blank.

So you want to identify the person. That seems like an outlandish request. If Nuri feels that this person is harassing them then that is a matter for An Garda. Boards.ie is obviously responsible for who they follow on Twitter however to suggest that the person should be identified is seriously wrong and just the type of cynical justice I'd expect...

I think we all know the former handle of the person in question. Also this is probably giving him a kick looking at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

New feedback thread idea....distribute reading tests upon signing up to ensure members have basic skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

https://twitter.com/mahockey1/status/400645896767307776

That just looks like a conversation between two twitter posters.

I'm sure boards.ie gets mentioned hundreds if not thousands of times in an average day on twitter. I'm not sure it's reasonable to expect somebody to devote that much time on just reading twitter mentions. Maybe it is, I'd have my doubts.
    Nuri Sahin wrote:
    but I had noticed the official boards Twitter account was following him before I accepted his request to follow me.

That seems odd, maybe the boards twitter account just adds whoever follows the twitter account?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

K-9 wrote: »
    That seems odd, maybe the boards twitter account just adds whoever follows the twitter account?

That sounds like the most logical explanation to me. Not too sure what the admins can do though if the person behind the twitter account is already banned from here though.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

K-9 wrote: »

P_1 wrote: »
    That sounds like the most logical explanation to me. Not too sure what the admins can do though if the person behind the twitter account is already banned from here though.

Well, near 36K followers, while in turn they follow 2K.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement