Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for @Boards_ie / Admin

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Super-Rush wrote: »
    So being racially abused is a bit of nastiness?

Stay fcuking classy.

but it's ok when he spams PMs full of vile abuse to other members on this website?

Stick up for your mates there pal, well done. :rolleyes:

Someone from the mod ranks condoning his behaviour. Again, not surprised.

Unsurprising that an admin suddenly ignored the complaints either.

Hmmm, something fishy here alright.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Super-Rush wrote: »
    If someone came on here and admitted that they were behind the Twitter account, would anything be done?
    People have been site banned for using other forms of social media against boards users.

This form of bullying resulted in the Thunderdome being closed permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

but it's ok when he spams PMs full of vile abuse to other members on this website?

Thanks.
    Nobody on here has condoned any behaviour by the OP in the past on this thread as far as I can see.
    If the OP has broken the rules in the past it should be dealt with fairly. How can you be sure it hasn't been dealt with fairly.
    And I refer to my earlier point, if as you say the OP has broken rules in the past then that doesn't mean he can't report rule breaches himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

padd b1975 wrote: »
    People have been site banned for using other forms of social media against boards users.

as has been said, they deal with it when they want to. They can and have done so in the past, so to come out with a line like "it's on twitter so not our concern" is pretty disengenuous really, and doesn't stand up.

Even when it's happening on this website they pick and choose where to get involved.

I know for a fact that the OP has been reported by at least 2 users for harassment and/or bullying via the Boards.ie PM system, but is still allowed to use the website.

Now all of a sudden the staff are pandering to him.

Why, I ask. Why is this guy so special as to receive a reply from the staff, when people who complained about him did not? Could it be because he did it in Feedback and not through the proper channels, where it can be conveniently ignored and swept under the carpet?

I engaged with an Admin, via PM, and they suddenly stopped PMing me for some reason, I don't know why.

Friends in high places probably.

I never followed it up because I didn't want to be a timesink.

Seems those who shout the loudest get results.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

D*s you're some piece of work yourself. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Another reminder of why I do not engage with Web 2.0 social networking.

They say its progress, lets just say I'd sooner eat a bucket of dry oats.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Agueroooo wrote: »
    D*s you're some piece of work yourself.

Careful now....Mr rage against the machine has no problem using the system when he wants to maintain his anonymity.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Let me guess, it's bull**** from the Soccer forum?

I've been around long enough Baldy to tell that you're withholding the full truth from your posts.

If the OP is still allowed to post after being reported for abusive PMs, then chances are those PMs were a response in kind to abusive PMs or posts and/or the OP received a ban/warning for his actions and it has not reoccured. Do you have any evidence that the abusive PMs were not dealt with?

"An admin suddenly stopped PMing me for no reason" usually means, "The admin responded to my requests in a reasonable and timely manner, but I couldn't let it go so just kept harping on about the same nonsense even after the admin told me they were going to stop responding". Either that or, "The admin had real-life stuff to do and forgot, but rather than send a polite and short request a month later, I decided that it was a deliberate attempt to antagonise me".

If you have been on the receiving end of abusive PMs or posts from the OP which haven't been dealt with, you know you're free to continue reporting them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Thanks.
    as has been said, they deal with it when they want to. They can and have done so in the past, so to come out with a line like "it's on twitter so not our concern" is pretty disengenuous really, and doesn't stand up.

Even when it's happening on this website they pick and choose where to get involved.

I know for a fact that the OP has been reported by at least 2 users for harassment and/or bullying via the Boards.ie PM system, but is still allowed to use the website.

Now all of a sudden the staff are pandering to him.

Why, I ask. Why is this guy so special as to receive a reply from the staff, when people who complained about him did not? Could it be because he did it in Feedback and not through the proper channels, where it can be conveniently ignored and swept under the carpet?

I engaged with an Admin, via PM, and they suddenly stopped PMing me for some reason, I don't know why.

Friends in high places probably.

I never followed it up because I didn't want to be a timesink.

Seems those who shout the loudest get results.

Is it not a long standing rule that a mod posting in a forum that the don't mod is just another user posting?
    there is nothing in the reply from Niamh that makes me see any pandering to Nuri Sahin either... Or have you promoted Superrush?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Lastly, some people have alluded to our social media manager. Let me say that on the Boards team we do not have a 'social media manager'. We have a Niamh. I do lots of things, Twitter and Facebook are a small part of that and are done in between answering emails to hello@boards.ie, replying to threads such as this one, settling disputes, banning spammers, looking after Talk to forums and Verified Rep Accounts, etc.

That was me, and I'm really surprised that you have all that falling to you so fair play.

Surely though, given the close relationship of and similarities between forums and social media there should be more dedicated to it resource wise? Boards has 35,000+ followers so clearly a massive presence in the space yet Twitter is just "done in between" a lot of other things. I find that very strange.

Dare I say, given I've provided examples of when conversation around this user included @boards_ie mentions, there is a bit of a gap between what you say (reading the @ mentions) and what happened. A bit more time in the space could have meant being on top of this sooner.

Also, I've engaged with @board_ie a number of times and never been followed back! :( :pac:

Appreciate the reply anyway.

• Advertisement

Convenient change on the account. Wonder if the person behind it has seen....or contributed to the thread?

Anyway I expect this thread to be closed soon...which will make one poster happy but it is a bit of a cop out to say there is little that can be done about it especially when there are previous instances of action being taken against boards accounts because of content on other social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Convenient change on the account. Wonder if the person behind it has seen....or contributed to the thread?

Anyway I expect this thread to be closed soon...which will make one poster happy but it is a bit of a cop out to say there is little that can be done about it especially when there are previous instances of action being taken against boards accounts because of content on other social media.

what's the change?

• Moderators Posts: 51,792 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

when did boards start policing boardsie behaviour on the internet?

If you can read this, you're too close!

Or it's a former poster that just read this thread and has got the reaction he wanted?

I'm pretty sure it's a former poster and not a current poster unlike what a few on here think. I know for a fact it's not who a lot of you think it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,482 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The user is a coward and a bully. Keyboard warrior at its finest.

Should stick to Shels, Wrestling, GAA and whatever other pastimes he tweets about.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Or it's a former poster that just read this thread and has got the reaction he wanted?

I'm pretty sure it's a former poster and not a current poster unlike what a few on here think. I know for a fact it's not who a lot of you think it is...

Do you know for a fact who it is ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

It's Twitter.

The scenario of some loser spouting crap in a pathetic attempt to increase their self esteem has been and will continue to be a harsh reality of said kip.

Thought you were talking about the Thunderdome there. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Thanks.

I fail to see what me being a mod has anything to do with me being against racism.

I could think Nuri is a complete dick but I'd still be against him being racially abused.

You obviously think that racial abuse is ok going by your comments that it was a bit of nastiness.

I know. That's why i asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Xavi6 wrote: »

Dare I say, given I've provided examples of when conversation around this user included @boards_ie mentions, there is a bit of a gap between what you say (reading the @ mentions) and what happened. A bit more time in the space could have meant being on top of this .

I don't get this why would boards need to be on top of this ? They aren't the police of the internet as koth mentioned and even if they did have a media manager with 30K followers is it productive to look for this.

Don't get me wrong I don't condone this behaviour but people have very high expectations of boards and it's staff, there are official routes for complaint and as mentioned they don't seem to have been used.

koth wrote: »
    when did boards start policing boardsie behaviour on the internet?

Since this I would guess.

• Advertisement

Re Baldy Conscience, very unfair to use this thread to have a pop at the OP who you obviously have a gripe with. The thread is about him being abused on Twitter is it not

• Moderators Posts: 51,792 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Since this I would guess.
    AFAIK, boardsies were banned for content they posted on boards not for what they did on other sites.

If I post comments about you (or any other boardsie) on twitter, why should I be banned from here? I didn't break any of the rules of the site.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Re Baldy Conscience, very unfair to use this thread to have a pop at the OP who you obviously have a gripe with. The thread is about him being abused on Twitter is it not

Unfair? Reads like it's a perfect opportunity to bring to light some of the OPs less-than-courteous behaviour of his own while the attention of the admins is focused on the OP and this particular subject matter.

Was it 'fair' for other users of this site to have their claims of harrassment overlooked only to see the Admins all over the OPs complaint?

No one should have to deal with personal or racial abuse but the OP should at least display the desire to practice what he's preaching if he's going to take such a trivial thing as @boards_ie following some random idiot on twitter to the feedback section for public discussion.

Unfair? Reads like it's a perfect opportunity to bring to light some of the OPs less-than-courteous behaviour of his own while the attention of the admins is focused on the OP and this particular subject matter.

Was it 'fair' for other users of this site to have their claims of harrassment overlooked only to see the Admins all over the OPs complaint?

No one should have to deal with personal or racial abuse but the OP should at least display the desire to practice what he's preaching if he's going to take such a trivial thing as @boards_ie following some random idiot on twitter to the feedback section for public discussion.

Why don't you start a thread about it then? Not everyone wants to read about people's gripes with the OP.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Why don't you start a thread about it then? Not everyone wants to read about people's gripes with the OP.

Is there a gun to your head? Don't read it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Who cares?

Block the user on Twitter and move on. As people have stated I doubt Boards even knew that they were following an account like that so the paranoia surrounding that is a bit over the top in my opinion.

Are we all bad people for following Frankie Boyle on Twitter when he comes out with his regular controversial opinion or sick jokes? The internet is a big place I think anyone being abused by this person should just get over it to be honest as this is all very dramatic & you're given him/her the reaction they want.

I'd normally be all for ignore it and it will go away, but there are lines that gets crossed and imo racial abuse is one of those.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Just for the record, if someone can show me some proof of what was posted (since it's now all been deleted) and of who this @boardseye person is, I'll be permanently banning them from Boards.

"Why?" you ask, "this happened on Twitter, it's not your place!"

Yes, it didn't happen here on Boards, but it happened *because* of Boards. This wouldn't be the first time we've taken this sort of action and unfortunately it probably won't be the last. Is this what happens all the time when something like this comes up? No, but it's potentially what will happen *this* time and that's as much as I can say without having all the facts.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

KevIRL wrote: »
    It is somewhat ironic that the OP is on here pleading harassment given his history of sending repeated unsolicited PMs here on boards.ie. I have first hand experience of this

Such as?

__

Just to add, I'm going through the thread atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Nuri, you've raised a problem, I've PM'd you about it because I want to help fix it, let's stick to the PMs and stick a fork in this thread (the circling around over who's done what is already making me dizzy).

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement