Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

house training puppys

• 18-11-2013 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

having trouble house training our two new puppies. they are both similar age, 16 weeks, and have been here since 8 weeks old.

its driving everyone in the house mad!

we let them out first thing in the morning every morning for about 30 mins- an hour. and they seem to wait untill they come back in the house to do their business. same thing with diner time. we try let them out soon after they eat but more often than not they wait to go inside.

we are putting newspaper down at night time,which I know is probably wrong, but it just helps no end with the cleaning up. they are sleeping out in a back kitchen which it tiled.

anyone have any advice/tips as to how to tackle it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

eoinmk2 wrote: »
    having trouble house training our two new puppies. they are both similar age, 16 weeks, and have been here since 8 weeks old.

its driving everyone in the house mad!

we let them out first thing in the morning every morning for about 30 mins- an hour. and they seem to wait untill they come back in the house to do their business. same thing with diner time. we try let them out soon after they eat but more often than not they wait to go inside.

we are putting newspaper down at night time,which I know is probably wrong, but it just helps no end with the cleaning up. they are sleeping out in a back kitchen which it tiled.

anyone have any advice/tips as to how to tackle it?

Tbh it's patience and perseverence. Two things that end up in short supply with new puppies. Another thing is to watch for the signals they often start sniffing around before they go - bring them out as soon as you see this and praise, praise. Sometimes a word works I call it what it is and my middle dog still attempts to pee on command.

Someone gave me a good tip here a couple of weeks ago as I'm currently in the throes of puppy toilet training at mo.and that's to use biological washing powder when you clean-up where they've gone in the house - washing powder mixed with warm water helps to neutralise the scent. It works too and leaves a much better smell on the tiles.

Letting them out after they eat I find about 20 nins for mine but it's getting longer and playing first as they kind of forget why they're out there and normally go off to pee and poop without feeling they have to. Of course that's my reading of their intention!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

eoinmk2 wrote: »
    Mistake 1; you need to be out there with them to praise them the moment they go. If you only shove them out they think they are being punsiedh for no reason.
    Mistake 2; they now see toilet paper = something to go on. Put some toilet paper outside but you really need to stop this and start taking them out during the night instead (multiple times).

Also look into crate training but you're not taking them out often enough nor have you praised them for going outside so why would they?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

There was a very similar thread about this a few days ago, it'll save me having to write out my reply again (lazy or wha?!) Hope it helps.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057082103

Advertisement